Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you turn these off?

If you can, do they reset back to on after you turn the car off/on? Or do they stay off permanently?

·
Registered
21 Posts
[edited] You can turn LKA off with the button next to the VESS button but need to do so each time the car is started. LFA that operates when using cruise control can be turned off under the Lane Following Assist settings under the driver assistance menu on the smaller screen using the steering wheel controls. That seems to stay off.
They're great on main roads but flaky on Cornish lanes where we're lucky if there's any white markings!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes, you can turn it off with the button but it defaults back to on when you restart the car. There's also a way to turn it off from the settings menu, which you'd imagine would turn it off permanently, but no.

It's become part of my "start up procedure" now along with turning the auto-hold on. I don't think anyone in Kia has actually driven one of their cars with LKA on on the kind of narrow country roads we typically get in the UK and Ireland, where white lines are rare, and even if they are there, they're usually faded beyond recognition, meaning the system kicks in and out almost randomly without warning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, thankyou.

I'm not surprised you can't turn it off with the way things are these days.
Shame though.

(as is not being able to get rid of that ridiculous jingle when you turn the car off/on.)

·
Registered
194 Posts
That is funny, I was describing the car to a friend, and told him the major thing that irritated me is the pre-flight setup I do because the car insists on resetting settings.

LKA off, sports mode on, auto hold, etc.

Greg

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV, Red, 64kWh Premium SE (10.5kW OBC)
28 Posts
They [LKA/LFA] are great on main roads but flaky on Cornish lanes where we're lucky if there's any white markings!
Even on main roads I've found LFA to be slightly unreliable despite reasonable lane markings. On one occasion I had to stop the vehicle entering a small lay-by at 70mph because (I assume) it thought that the lane curved left as the good, bright, solid white line went in that direction even though there was a (very slightly faded) dashed white line across the turning. Definitely proof that the driver must not relax just because the car appears to be driving itself.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sorry I was messing up the terms...

From Kia: LKA intervenes with the steering precisely at the moment when lane drifting is about to occur; on the other hand, LFA constantly attempts to keep the vehicle at the center of the lane

So the situation in post #7 was which? (just out of interest), it would seem to be LFA, because it was trying to keep centered in the lane? Even though it was incorrectly sensing where the lane was going?

When the dang thing tugs unexpectedly on the wheel, it is irritating, but then 90% of the time I was either drifting a bit in the lane, or did a lane change without signalling, so I usually leave it on.

Greg

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV, Red, 64kWh Premium SE (10.5kW OBC)
28 Posts
Yes, at the time LFA was enabled and LKA was disabled.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I didn't like LKA at first but then got used to it. I don't mind it now.

If you really wanted to turn it off, I reckon a well placed bit of masking tape on the windscreen infront of the camera would shut it up. Probably not recommended though : )

·
Registered
318 Posts
I didn't like LKA at first but then got used to it. I don't mind it now.

If you really wanted to turn it off, I reckon a well placed bit of masking tape on the windscreen infront of the camera would shut it up. Probably not recommended though : )
No, it would nag you that the camera was obscured and you'd get all kinds of warnings!

John.

Reactions: rosinchard

·
Registered
194 Posts
Driving yesterday, I did something that I don't usually do, is run cruise control on surface streets...

As I went around a curve, the car tugged on the steering wheel as I got too close to the white line.

Turned the LKA off, and the indicator went off, but it still tugged on the steering wheel...

looks like cruise control forces it on no matter what... will test some more to be sure... weird

·
Registered
194 Posts
A follow up....

Turned on cruise control, got a little white circle with something in the center... move to the middle of the lane, and it turns green, go slightly off center in the lane, and I have a green blinking one, go out of the lane (no turn signal), turns white again.

So these systems are somehow linked, irrespective of the LKA on/off button.

Greg

·
Registered
56 Posts
You're confusing two things here. The "little white circle with something in the center" is a steering wheel symbol. That indicates that LFA (Lane Following Assist) is engaged, which comes on by default when you engage SCC (Smart Cruise Control). The other symbol, the car with the dashed lines either side, indicates that you have LKA (Lane Keeping Assist) engaged. Both symbols are white when not active, if the camera is unable to lock on to a suitable line on the road.

LFA actively steers the car to keep you within the lane. You can actually take your hands off the steering wheel and it will steer itself, even around bends, although after a short time it'll warn you to keep your hands on the wheel. You can maintain even the lightest touch on the wheel though and it'll remain engaged.

All LKA does is to warn you, by giving a nudge to the wheel and an audible signal, when you drift towards the lines.

Both systems disengage temporarily when you use the indicators (turn signal as you call them).

By the way, using SCC, however "smart" it might be, on normal city streets is borderline dangerous in my opinion. If you want to use it to stop you gong over a speed limit, use the Speed Limiter function instead.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Nope, not confusing them... read my post again, I turned LKA off....

the LFA symbol goes from white to green to blinking green exactly as I indicated.

Of course I understand how using SCC on city streets is, that's why I just now tried this, although where I live, this "city street" has a 55 mph speed limit. Please do not assume everyone lives in a crowded city.

Greg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts