Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to make yet another airport run, but this time it may be practical in the Leaf.

We've recently moved and now live very close to A55 Exit 8.

Home to Chester services is 67 miles. I will stop in Abergele for a top up to be sure we'd make after climbing up Rhuallt Hill.

Chester Services to Liverpool Airport is only 17.1 miles. I could easily make the round trip on an 80% charge.

On the way back, I'd have to either charge to 100% at Chester services or make a second stop in Abergele.

So do I take the Leaf or our 10 year old diesel van???

·
Registered
991 Posts
Ah, hadn't realised there was one there, good news and yes, another vote for EV for that trip then!

Sadly I think my dream of reaching Llandudno in my Leaf from Hampshire will have to wait for one with more range. whilst technically feasible, the journey is long enough without adding a few more hours for rapid charging en route :(

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,694 Posts
I'm going to make yet another airport run, but this time it may be practical in the Leaf.

We've recently moved and now live very close to A55 Exit 8.

Home to Chester services is 67 miles. I will stop in Abergele for a top up to be sure we'd make after climbing up Rhuallt Hill.

Chester Services to Liverpool Airport is only 17.1 miles. I could easily make the round trip on an 80% charge.

On the way back, I'd have to either charge to 100% at Chester services or make a second stop in Abergele.

So do I take the Leaf or our 10 year old diesel van???
Should not effect you but DC CCS not working today
image.jpg

·
Super Moderator
11,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that.

Is that entire rapid down, or just the CCS part of it? As I recall, both rapids at Chester have chademo.

If Chester Services only have one working rapid, I'm not taking the LEAF. Can't take the risk that there will be a long queue and I'm not going to have enough range to make it to Warington.

·
1,694 Posts
Thanks for that.

Is that entire rapid down, or just the CCS part of it? As I recall, both rapids at Chester have chademo.

If Chester Services only have one working rapid, I'm not taking the LEAF. Can't take the risk that there will be a long queue and I'm not going to have enough range to make it to Warington.
Just CCS I think as got some AC, the website seems to have quite a few CCS offline today :(

·
1,694 Posts
Charge Stations reliability is an issue right now for BEV's, I needed a REX for sure or could not be EV at all.

·
Super Moderator
11,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Made it with no technical problems. The rapid at Chester Services worked perfectly.

175 miles, two rapid charges and two top ups at 6.6kW. I drove conservatively, except for the LPL to Chester leg. Had way more then enough charge to get there so I drove that leg at the speed limit and passed more then a few cars.

I arrived home with 22% remaining. With hindsight, I could have cut 15 or 20 minutes off the last stop in Abergele or driven the last leg a little faster and still had enough of a reserve.

Took several hours more then it would have in an ICE. A well placed rapid on the A55 would cut that down to something reasonable.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Singing Kettle services, at junction 31 of the A55, now has an Ecotricity CHadeMO DC charger.

Used it twice with my LEAF a month ago on the way (and way back) from a family (350 mile) day out to Llandudno, from my home in Worcestershire.

28 miles beyond Chester services and about 26 miles from Llandudno.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts