• Driveway

• Garage

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I am a newbie and I am (fingers crossed) going to be purchasing an ID.3 in the near future. I am just starting to get things organised.

I am getting a new garage installed in the next month (not just for the new car but because my old garage was falling apart) and it should fit the ID.3 but I am unsure as to whether I should have the home charger installed in the garage or on the side of the house next to the drive. Its a pretty long driveway alongside the side of the house so plenty of space.

I know the answer most likely would be "wherever the car will be parked most often" but I wonder what the pros and cons are of installing it in the garage or driveway. I'm afraid that I might be missing an obvious "no no".

Does anyone have any opinions/advice on best place for a charger?

Thanks for any responses.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
The best place for a charger would be inside the garage. If there's a possibility of filling the garage with years of assorted junk or of needing to park one car inside the garage and charge a second, then fitting the wall unit (N.B. the "charger" is installed in the car !) just inside the garage door should allow that.

Reactions: LH18

·
Registered
260 Posts
Most garages are too small for many modern cars. My advice is to place the chargepoint where it's most convenient to charge the car where it is where you'd normally park it. Don't worry about it being outside; the units are designed to work outside, and yes, if your driveway is big enough to fit multiple vehicles, fit it such that it could reach any of the parking spots because at some point you may have two vehicles that want charging. Enjoy your garage, enjoy your driveway. Many drivers have neither available.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Unless you really do have plenty of space in the new garage and intend to always park inside then it might be best to have the charger fitted outside on the drive.

In my own case I have both of my chargers (a basic Rolec and a Zappi) inside my garage, but that’s because it’s a decent size and accommodates both cars even after I’ve fitted all my storage. Both cars are also parked inside the garage every night so it’s the best location for me to plug in.

My Rolec is 5 years old and the case has started to crack, so it’s a good job it’s inside out of the weather as it is in no way waterproof any more!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Unless you really do have plenty of space in the new garage and intend to always park inside then it might be best to have the charger fitted outside on the drive.
LH18 is getting a new garage built. Hard to believe he's going to that trouble just to store a few old bikes and items awaiting disposal; a garden shed at a fraction of the price could do that !

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Our chargepoints are installed in our garage, where they are dry, secure and don't fade . The cables fit under the garage door and the cars charged on driveway (as they don't fit in the stupidly small garage).

·
Registered
515 Posts
LH18 is getting a new garage built. Hard to believe he's going to that trouble just to store a few old bikes and items awaiting disposal; a garden shed at a fraction of the price could do that !
I know - I built my house and garage 15 years ago(ish) and still should have added another couple of metres to the width and length! Hence why I built a proper shed in the garden to house all the nonsense that was clogging up my garage

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I know - I built my house and garage 15 years ago(ish) and still should have added another couple of metres to the width and length! Hence why I built a proper shed in the garden to house all the nonsense that was clogging up my garage
We built ours 20 years ago (planning started 25 years ago). Garage was always intended to be a double garage although we have occasionally managed to get three inside it. However, a series of shelves either side and all sorts of boxes awaiting transport to recycling centre etc mean it's reduced to accommodating just one comfortably but since our son has left home and we no longer need two cars to drive separately to our workplaces it shouldn't be a problem for the next ten years or so.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
I'm in same position as Roger Davis above. Got mine put v close to the up-n-over door, as gge has got full of other machinery now, & car's on drive. I went for untethered, as that way I could get a much longer 10m cable, useful when you consider the car's socket can be at the wrong end etc. At the time tethered cables were all 5m, far less versatile. Maybe more choice now? Do check your distances!

Also being in the gge, I can treat it as if it was tethered, i.e no need to unplug completely & pack away as there's no theft risk. Then I can take it with me on hols as well. Having a really nice long type-2 can be useful in supermarket car-parks where the EVSE's been Iced, but there may be a slot 2 or 3 cars away that you can reach with a 10m cable.

My cable fits nicely under the gge door as there's a good draught gap!

·
Registered
23 Posts
In the garage every-time, less susceptible to the elements, less likely for someone to damage/steal the EVCP, doesn't matter what the EVCP looks like as its in the garage, dependant on install you could get away with not having a PME solution = less cost... you could even go for a 'dumb' charger in the garage and have it 'on' all the time so you don't have to worry on connectivity to turn it on etc...

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Trying to avoid the "PME solution" to save a fewq quid is probably not a great idea. There has to be a reason the recent regs now require the extra Earth-protection stuff, whether it's an earth rod or the earth-leakage-detector stuff. Parts cost for me to upgrade my dumb Rolec without any such protection, to latest & greatest Earth + DC 6mA protection was £250. And I think all new EVSEs probably have to come with this now, or have an Earth Rod fitted at the same time. But I'm not a sparky, so take professional advice.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Trying to avoid the "PME solution" to save a fewq quid is probably not a great idea. There has to be a reason the recent regs now require the extra Earth-protection stuff, whether it's an earth rod or the earth-leakage-detector stuff. Parts cost for me to upgrade my dumb Rolec without any such protection, to latest & greatest Earth + DC 6mA protection was £250. And I think all new EVSEs probably have to come with this now, or have an Earth Rod fitted at the same time. But I'm not a sparky, so take professional advice.
Andy, the 'extra earth protection stuff' is to do with open PEN or neutrals, primarily from the DNO. Potentials of extraneous conductive parts comes into the equation as well. Indoor charging (garage) can utilise PME earths. This has benefits such as using a more reliable and lower resistance earth source, not having to install earth rods and not having to rely on electronics and contactors. The benefit of using the dumb charger is you do not need to connect to the internet, another renound point of failure for EVCPs.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
For as long as I can remember there has been a need to evaluate the risk of an open PEN fault for any installation where there is outdoor exposed conductive parts. Hot tubs and caravan supplies are the normal examples, and the solution for these has always been to wire them as a TT installation, with a local earth electrode and the PME PE isolated. My garage and our greenhouse are both wired as TT installations for this reason, the garage because it has loads of steel conduit and metalclad outlets, the greenhouse because it has an aluminium frame.

All charge points should have included open PEN fault protection from the date the first one was installed, had anyone actually thought about the risk of having a PME PE connected exposed conductive part. I seem to recall there was a requirement from OLEV with the original grant, long before the 18th Edition came out, that all grant funded charge points include open PEN fault protection, inline with normal practice for outdoor installations. This was ignored by some of those out to make a quick buck by claiming grants though, in the same way as providing DC tolerant earth leakage protection was ignored - they did not want to fork out for expensive Type B RCDs either (they were not alone, many PV installers also did the same).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts