Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Leaf 40
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I'm considering the i3 as the replacement for my Gen II leaf I've been looking at the different charge port locations.

My driveway, and the charger mounted adjacent to the door, means I have to drive nose in with the Leaf and park as close to a hedge on the nearside as possible in order that the cable can reach. The i3, have a charge port mounted on the rear offside means I can reverse in, which I'd prefer on my driveway and I'm hoping that, because it's side mounted and not centrally like the Leaf, I will be able to leave myself enough room to get out of the drivers side.

But whilst that suits my particular use case, it seems BMW gave little thought to the siting. On street charging means parking against the flow of traffic or risk having a cable snaking around the car to the offside. And why have the charge port at the back when the frunk, an ideal storage spot for charge cables is at the front? Similarly on the Leaf, the charge port is at the opposite end to where you store your cables.

I think the ideal location for the charge port is as Nissan, Renault and Kia have it, centrally located on the nose. But it would be nice if they could make room for a frunk that we can keep the cables and adapters in!

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
The nose position of the charge port on the LEAF is,for me,its one major fault. I spent 30 years working for an employer that insisted I parked so that I could drive forwards from my parking spot. Nissan make this impossible.
The logic:- when you arrive at a destination the car is normally warm and windows clear. Reversing into a parking place is easy,and visibility is good. When you get back to the car, after a day at work, etc. the engine is cold, the heater does not work, the rear windows can be misted up and impossible to clear. There is greater maneuverability going forwards from a narrow space.Quite simply it is safer.
For me the charge point should be central rear, under the number plate perhaps.right next to the cable locker..

·
Super Moderator
7,504 Posts
The nose position of the charge port on the LEAF is,for me,its one major fault. I spent 30 years working for an employer that insisted I parked so that I could drive forwards from my parking spot. Nissan make this impossible.
The logic:- when you arrive at a destination the car is normally warm and windows clear. Reversing into a parking place is easy,and visibility is good. When you get back to the car, after a day at work, etc. the engine is cold, the heater does not work, the rear windows can be misted up and impossible to clear. There is greater maneuverability going forwards from a narrow space.Quite simply it is safer.
For me the charge point should be central rear, under the number plate perhaps.right next to the cable locker..
Centre rear suits me too, but us reverse parkers are a rare breed!

·
Registered
Leaf 40
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Centre rear makes sense of course but it presents obvious design issues. Having a charge port below the hatch is less than ideal. I guess that's why we've never seen such a solution.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I would vote for the central rear too for all the reasons outlined above (maybe we had the same instructors). Given that Nissan mounted the Inverter across the back in the original Gen 1 it would also have left them with a shorter cabling run!

It's harder to line up a charger when nosing in, as you lack the immediate steering available when reversing - the car must pass through itself before turning.

I am guessing BMW designed their car for the LHD market and frankly don't care about RHD needs.

There was a chap in the USA who had done an EV conversion of a Mustang (or something) and had put the charging socket behind his numberplate - the plate flipped down to reveal the socket. Very impressive :)

·
Super Moderator
5,892 Posts
It should be made illegal to drive into parking spaces or onto your drive, reversing into oncoming traffic even at car park speeds is not safe, you can't see what is coming and just have to hope people let you out.

·
Registered
555 Posts
... When you get back to the car, after a day at work, etc. the engine is cold, the heater does not work, the rear windows can be misted up and impossible to clear. There is greater maneuverability going forwards from a narrow space.Quite simply it is safer.
I've been getting used to using Carwings to heat my car for 15 minutes before I leave work. Then the windows are clear and the car is comfortable - whichever way round it is parked.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Why can't they have multiple sockets? One up front, one at the back - first one connected becomes active (to stop the hacker that tries to plug into 2 chargers at once for a really rapid charge).

·
Registered
Kona SE
964 Posts
It should be made illegal to drive into parking spaces or onto your drive, reversing into oncoming traffic even at car park speeds is not safe, you can't see what is coming and just have to hope people let you out.
I used to think like this until the front charge port forced me to drive in and reverse out. Now, with no engine noise, I just roll down the back windows and I can hear traffic approaching.

·
Super Moderator
1,298 Posts
I want one at the Front and back lol
I actually was a proponent during the Active E trials of BMW doing just that as an option. Though I did want the charge to be in two spots, I prefer both sides in the rear.

As for the i3 for LHD markets. I think that hits it on the nose. I, too prefer a quick getaway and back into my parking spots for charging.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts