Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to ask, I searched but didn't know what to type to find the answer. I'm sure there's one out there already.

I get home, stop the car, get out, go to the front of the car to pop open the flap to charge. Nope. Need to fumble about in my pockets for the key and "unlock" the car (It's still unlocked - I've only just got out). Then the flap opens.

Then sometimes I'll get out of the car, open the rear door to let the dog out. And it works. Other times I get out, try to open the rear door and ... nothing. Need to fumble about it my pocket again for the key, press unlock. Then the rear doors open.

What have I done and how can I stop it! 馃く

Thanks.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually noticed this recently too. I get out of the car, go to the back door to get my son out and it's still locked. Never used to happen. :unsure:
Is it consistent or does it only sometimes happen?

I'm wondering if it may be something to do with me setting the car to auto-lock above a certain speed and unlock on pressing Park (which I never do... I pull the parking brake lever and press the off button). Despite that though, the locking once parked is still random.

Registered
Is it consistent or does it only sometimes happen?

I'm wondering if it may be something to do with me setting the car to auto-lock above a certain speed and unlock on pressing Park (which I never do... I pull the parking brake lever and press the off button). Despite that though, the locking once parked is still random.
Not sure, it's happened 2 or 3 times in the past few weeks. I'll keep an eye on it.

Registered
Yes I have have had this bewildering conundrum too馃. I think that maybe the charge door locks automatically again if it hasn't been open within a short space of time, I'm guessing it is around a minute.

I have a similarly baffling conundrum with the electric parking brake. Sometimes when ope ing the drivers door to exit the car I hear the brake engage and the icon illuminates on the driver display, other times it doesn't do this馃. Has anyone else experienced this phenonom?

Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
Not sure, it's happened 2 or 3 times in the past few weeks. I'll keep an eye on it.
I鈥檝e had this occasionally too. No idea what the reason is. rather than fumble for fob in pocket I just go to front door press the door handle button to lock then unlock. Rear door then opens fine. It is odd.

Another oddity I occasionally get is constant dongs after turning off and opening drivers door to get out. I look at display, nothing indicates anything. I never find out what it鈥檚 trying to tell me. Close door and open it and it鈥檚 gone. Peter

Registered
I have a similarly baffling conundrum with the electric parking brake. Sometimes when ope ing the drivers door to exit the car I hear the brake engage and the icon illuminates on the driver display, other times it doesn't do this馃. Has anyone else experienced this phenonom?
Does it depend on whether auto hold has been set? If auto hold is set then the parking brake is applied on switching off the car. If auto hold is not set the handbrake is not applied when you switch off. That is useful if you do not want the brake to be applied (e.g. if car is garaged or a frosty night is expected).

Registered
Go into settings and see what you have set for "Auto-unlock" - I think it can be when you turn off the ignition, or when you unlock the drivers door.....

Basically just opening the drivers door does not unlock the rest of the car.

There is the unlock button on the door...

Registered
Kia E-Niro 2021 4+
I鈥檝e had this occasionally too. No idea what the reason is. rather than fumble for fob in pocket I just go to front door press the door handle button to lock then unlock. Rear door then opens fine. It is odd.

Another oddity I occasionally get is constant dongs after turning off and opening drivers door to get out. I look at display, nothing indicates anything. I never find out what it鈥檚 trying to tell me. Close door and open it and it鈥檚 gone. Peter
Could it be 鈥渃heck the rear seats鈥?
I have had this I think when we put stuff on the rear seats like a bag or something via the rear door but then removed it by reaching round and grabbing it from the front. I think the car is making sure you haven鈥檛 put a child in the back and forgotten (does happen, sometimes with tragic results)

Registered
Could it be 鈥渃heck the rear seats鈥?
I have had this I think when we put stuff on the rear seats like a bag or something via the rear door but then removed it by reaching round and grabbing it from the front. I think the car is making sure you haven鈥檛 put a child in the back and forgotten (does happen, sometimes with tragic results)
I have left heavy stuff on back seats and lock up. Car has no interior sensors, just perimeter alarm.

Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
Yes I have have had this bewildering conundrum too馃. I think that maybe the charge door locks automatically again if it hasn't been open within a short space of time, I'm guessing it is around a minute.

I think you鈥檙e right about the locking after a bit of time.
Regarding the parking brake I think that鈥檚 to do with the order and duration you do things. I often don鈥檛 want the parking brake applied when I鈥檓 at home, level drive nothing鈥檚 going anywhere, and have found that if I stop, hold the foot brake, press P, turn the car off all with foot on brake, then get out, no parking brake. Rush it or just turn the car off and you get the brake applied automatically.

Registered
Kia E-Niro 2021 4+
I have left heavy stuff on back seats and lock up. Car has no interior sensors, just perimeter alarm.
I meant that if you open the rear door, then shut it at the start of the journey (to put a child in, or in my case a backpack) the car wants to alert you if you then don鈥檛 open the rear door again at the end of the journey, rather than having sensors in the seats.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I think it could be that I don't/wasn't pressing P. I just pull the handrake and press Off.
It seems to need P to be pressed to unlock all the doors.
I expect there's a setting somewhere for that... amongst the spider's web.

Registered
Ok, I think it could be that I don't/wasn't pressing P. I just pull the handrake and press Off.
It seems to need P to be pressed to unlock all the doors.
I expect there's a setting somewhere for that... amongst the spider's web.
No this is a red herring. I always press P and the rear doors are still sometimes locked.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts