Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I'd be amazed if they have got this organised in such a short space of time. Kudos if they have, privacy concerns aside.
I agree, although I find myself sparing a thought for those who are vulnerable and not on the government list. The categories (e.g. age) are incomplete, and the records of those qualifying for inclusion in those categories will also be incomplete.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
My parents had no food, had no history with deliveries, and called on me because retailers were not allowing new account creation.
Clearly you did the right thing. There's muddled thinking that allows the addition of addresses to existing accounts but not the creation of new accounts for vulnerable people. This is all beginning to look like excusing the actions of the cabinet minister, although perhaps it's incumbent on him to use his influence to resolve it.
I would also be very surprised to see any action taken by the ICO.
They are an interesting office. Normally they are quite understanding of context so I'm sure that you are right.

·
Super Moderator
6,072 Posts
Clearly you did the right thing. There's muddled thinking that allows the addition of addresses to existing accounts but not the creation of new accounts for vulnerable people. This is all beginning to look like excusing the actions of the cabinet minister, although perhaps it's incumbent on him to use his influence to resolve it.

They are an interesting office. Normally they are quite understanding of context so I'm sure that you are right.
Have you tried booking a delivery?
There are venerable people in my village that are being given the earliest date of three weeks away. Things are so bad we have set up our own system where we look after our own village internally. We have even set up a "shop" for basic necessities that can be called upon for the venerable.

Other people are picking up prescriptions etc...

Its all well and good for people to complain but in the same situation any one of us would drive to look after our parents.....

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Have you tried booking a delivery?
I cannot get supermarket deliveries for myself, and my ability to source food means I am gradually losing sympathy for those complaining.

My most recent food comes from Amazon Prime (not Amazon Fresh). They have cereals, nuts, dried fruits, chocolates, cheeses, cakes, even milks and bottled eggs - most with Next Day delivery.

Fresh foods are in short supply, and this is not new for the UK. Our most traditional victorian recipes are made with fried fruits because our short-term annoyance was their daily routine.

One thing I cannot get is yoghurt, but I could invest in a yoghurt maker..

·
Super Moderator
6,072 Posts
I cannot get supermarket deliveries for myself, and my ability to source food means I am gradually losing sympathy for those complaining.

My most recent food comes from Amazon Prime (not Amazon Fresh). They have cereals, nuts, dried fruits, chocolates, cheeses, cakes, even milks and bottled eggs - most with Next Day delivery.

Fresh foods are in short supply, and this is not new for the UK. Our most traditional victorian recipes are made with fried fruits because our short-term annoyance was their daily routine.

One thing I cannot get is yoghurt, but I could invest in a yoghurt maker..
You don't need a yoghurt maker....
Buy one small pot of natural youghurt(or use the last of what you have left)
Warm to body temp full fat UHT milk and stir in yoghurt
Leave somewhere warm and hay presto you have loads....

That doesn't alter the fact that most people would drive to help a venerable friend or relative though.....

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Our most traditional victorian recipes are made with fried fruits
No wonder we have an obesity crisis!

Its all well and good for people to complain but in the same situation any one of us would drive to look after our parents....
I appreciate what you said about deliveries being hard to book although I haven't tried it myself. Despite having signed up to the Government backed RVS scheme I've had no opportunities yet.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

·
Super Moderator
6,072 Posts
I appreciate what you said about deliveries being hard to book although I haven't tried it myself. Despite having signed up to the Government backed RVS scheme I've had no opportunities yet.

You are too late, from the people I knows experience unless you want to order your xmas delivery that is...

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I wasn't trying to book for myself, just pointing out that, at least locally to me, the vulnerable are organising things for themselves. The official Government backed RVS scheme was too slow getting off of the ground and is now seems obsolete or at very least misdirected.

·
Registered
667 Posts

I have never purchased food through Amazon Prime or Amazon Fresh, but looked yesterday and today at the Plain Flour. There is a seller who is offering 1.5 kg of Tesco plain flour (nothing special) at a total of nearly £29 including postage (£5.99). My other half reckons the "normal" price for this same item from Tesco is about £3. So a tremendous mark up.
Today this seller has two available, about 12 hours ago there were ten. Presumable a few days ago this seller offered more than ten available.
This seems to explain why the shelves are bare...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
New Dance craze - "The Poundland Shuffle" -

Went into Poundland for some soap, the payment etiquette was both confusing and amusing:

Firstly you queue up at the usual 2 metre distance.

When it’s your turn to be served the assistant steps back as far as they can, you step forward and plonk your items on the counter and take 4 steps back.

The assistant then processes the items and tells you how much it is going to be and how would you like to pay (card payment is preferred)

The assistant then steps back and you go forward and pay, cash on the counter and you take 4 steps back.

The assistant steps forward puts you change and receipt on the counter and steps back.

You then step forward collect the items and receipt and off you go, next customer, just like something off Monty-Python.

I expect somebody will YOUTUBE it.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
New Dance craze - "The Poundland Shuffle" -

Went into Poundland for some soap, the payment etiquette was both confusing and amusing:

Firstly you queue up at the usual 2 metre distance.

When it’s your turn to be served the assistant steps back as far as they can, you step forward and plonk your items on the counter and take 4 steps back.

The assistant then processes the items and tells you how much it is going to be and how would you like to pay (card payment is preferred)

The assistant then steps back and you go forward and pay, cash on the counter and you take 4 steps back.

The assistant steps forward puts you change and receipt on the counter and steps back.

You then step forward collect the items and receipt and off you go, next customer, just like something off Monty-Python.

I expect somebody will YOUTUBE it.
Aldi had a much better idea.
They put huge sheets of acrylic around the till as a sneeze guard to protect the cashier, with a little letterbox slot at the end for you to retrieve your shopping & pay. No hokey-cokey needed.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I have never purchased food through Amazon Prime or Amazon Fresh, but looked yesterday and today at the Plain Flour. There is a seller who is offering 1.5 kg of Tesco plain flour (nothing special) at a total of nearly £29 including postage (£5.99). My other half reckons the "normal" price for this same item from Tesco is about £3. So a tremendous mark up.
Today this seller has two available, about 12 hours ago there were ten. Presumable a few days ago this seller offered more than ten available.
This seems to explain why the shelves are bare...
Yeah I saw some undue markup. Hint: don't buy those ones ;)

There are legitimate businesses on Amazon mixed among the opportunistic charlatans.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
On the topic of anomalies and irregularities: Trump proved right on China's fake COVID19 death count.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Clap for NHS - 16th April - Westminster bridge.

After compiling with the lock down rules for nearly a month, now I have seen this total hypocrisy.

Why did the police participate in and allow this unlawful gathering with a total disregard for social distancing?

What about the waste of resources that are needed in the fight against COVID19?

Stay at home and support the NHS - I thought that was the idea behind the clap.

James O'Brien's response to people flouting two metre rule on Westminster Bridge

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
There were too many police crowded onto the bridge. The police blamed the public and selected inaction. Hypocrisy is mounting.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts