Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’m on lockdown until at least 15th June due to my husbands health issues.
What do I do about my 2017 PHEV?

do I leave it plugged in? Will it start in June?

any advice gratefully received

·
richi.uk
220 Posts
Don't leave it plugged in.
Discharge traction battery to roughly half of the blue bar, to minimise cell degradation.
Pump up tyres and/or move it forwards 30 cm every week, to ease single point of strain on tyres.
Switch on car (footbrake+Start=READY) every week for 10 mins, to top up 12V aux battery.
Run the aircon for 5 mins monthly, to lubricate compressor and seals.

·
Registered
16,826 Posts
Don't leave it plugged in.
Discharge traction battery to roughly half of the blue bar, to minimise cell degradation.
You realise this is a PHEV and it will make almost no difference due to the large top buffer?

We don’t need to perpetuate these myths please.

A run to the shops once a week should be enough to keep the 12 volt topped up.

Bear in mind running the engine regularly without getting the catalytic converter warmed properly can kill it off. Which can be expensive.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
On the assumption that it is an Outlander PHEV (hence the sub forum) @richi is spot on. You don't need to run the engine at all even to run the aircon, but if you do follow @cah197 advice and get it fully warm. If you are isolating for the 12 weeks don't start it. Ideally chock the wheels and leave the handbrake off unless it is on sufficient a slope not to be safe.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes outlander phev

So basically I need to :-

take it out now on electric only to discharge it to half battery give or

take

pump up the tyres to avoid strain in tyres

start up to ‘ready‘ to charge 12v battery for 10 mins a week.

leave handbrake off (luckily I have a level drive)

don’t leave it plugged in.

thanks. Very helpful.

·
richi.uk
220 Posts
In normal use, I
You realise this is a PHEV and it will make almost no difference due to the large top buffer?

We don’t need to perpetuate these myths please.

In normal use, I am right with you, fighting the good fight against thst old wives' tale. However, in this case, we're talking about a car that's not going to be used for nine weeks (no shopping, by the sounds of it). So a "full" battery is still a relatively high SoC to be sitting around at. Think ~90% of a normal range.

·
Registered
16,826 Posts
In normal use, I

In normal use, I am right with you, fighting the good fight against thst old wives' tale. However, in this case, we're talking about a car that's not going to be used for nine weeks (no shopping, by the sounds of it). So a "full" battery is still a relatively high SoC to be sitting around at. Think ~90% of a normal range.
So what is the real SOC in an Outlander that shows 100% indicated?

What does the manual say?

·
richi.uk
220 Posts
On the assumption that it is an Outlander PHEV (hence the sub forum) @richi is spot on. … Ideally chock the wheels and leave the handbrake off unless it is on sufficient a slope not to be safe.
Good point about the handbrake. Worth also saying not to rely on the P pawl to hold it on a slope (another old wives' tale).

·
richi.uk
220 Posts
So what is the real SOC in an Outlander that shows 100% indicated?

What does the manual say?
The simple answer to your question is "roughly 90%." The full answer requires a proper keyboard, not this phone.

The manual is about as useful as a chocolate espresso machine.

·
Outlander PHEV App - EvBatMon.
131 Posts
If your PHEV has wifi, the 12V is topped up at 2pm each day by the traction battery (if you sit in your PHEV just before 2pm you'll hear a few spontaneous beeps just prior to this commencing.)
If you don't have wifi, just having the PHEV in ready will charge the 12V, no need to drive to the shops as the engine doesn't topup the 12V using an alternator like it would in a traditional car.

·
richi.uk
220 Posts
Yes, but the 2pm topup stops working after a few days of being parked (although some owners report theirs continues, which is a head-scratcher)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts