Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Wife has driven the MG today rather than the Outlander for a change today. Now, in the Outlander, she can leave her keys in the boot and get into the car and drive away.
Apparently in the MG, the boot refused to shut properly at first, so my wife kept closing it until it did (I imagine it was a kind of "Your keys are in the boot!" warning). Unlocking the boot does not unlock the doors. I'm now off with the spare key, but just in case this happens further afield, is there a way to make the boot unlock open all the doors (talking about keys in pocket/bag and using the boot handle, not using the fob), or another way in which this can be avoided?

I mean, the simple solution is to not do it in the first place.... Anyone else been caught out by this?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Get your wife to sew pockets into her clothes so she is less dependent on a hand bag?
I'm serious. My mum only bought clothes with pockets or ones she could tell were easily retrofitted with them.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,366 Posts
We did the same at an NT car park. Threw our coats in the boot with keys in the pockets. Closed the boot and realised the mistake. Much relief when the boot popped open again and a quick dive to retrieve a key.

Reactions: Sandy

·
Zoe Devotee
9,257 Posts
I tested this some time back when it happened to someone else on the FB group. The boot will shut fine every time when you close it with the keys in the boot, but it will automatically unlock and pop open again. If you open and then close again it will continue to lock/unlock and pop open. If you force it shut after its unlocked it will probably remain locked, no idea why you might do that though without checking. Belligerence? :ROFLMAO:

Or if you put your key in a blocker pouch and close them in the boot it will lock (fairly obvious) and your locked out.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I though that if you had the keys in range of the boot ( or inside in this case ) even with the doors locked, the boot would open regardless of the doors being locked by lifting up on the MG badge ?.
I though this was process set in place to prevent such this type of event ?.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,822 Posts
Does the MG have an app? Remote lock/unlock?

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
actually, there's been good progress with OVMS, but it's still too early to promise anything.
Agreed, but at the moment we can’t send any commands to the car like unlock, lock, pre heat or pre cool.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies everyone! (I usually get emails when a thread is updated, guess they made it into my spam folder in this case)

She does enjoy pocketed clothing, something I take for granted myself! The keys, however, will be staying in her bag! It's nice to know that we aren't the only ones, and that the boot not shutting correctly the first time is a warning.

Reactions: Neilew
1 - 10 of 10 Posts