Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,095 Posts
OK, so tried and tried this evening to make this happen, and it did not do it.

I got the triple honk on occasions as I closed the door on the key, and on another the autolock actually turned itself off in the menu. I figure it presumed I was an idiot, so turned itself off.

Just another thought .. I've always refused to have the 'engine running' update done. Were these occasions of keys locking in cars before or after this update? Just wondering if the update has introduced a bug?

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
OK, so tried and tried this evening to make this happen, and it did not do it
Of course not, it didn't do it for me either 99% percent of the time but the once it did was a major fail so I disabled passive locking. This was back in 2013 so recent updates are irrelevant. I suspect it was strong local RF interference blocking the signal from the key. The key is on 433Mhz in Europe and there is a lot of crap on that unlicensed band...

LPD433 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
589 Posts
I suspect it was strong local RF interference blocking the signal from the key. The key is on 433Mhz in Europe and there is a lot of crap on that unlicensed band...
I was thinking along the same lines. I've had quite a few instances where the key is not detected by the car. It's only temporary and the battery is fine but, if that happens just at the moment when the key is inside and you are outside, with passive locking set, you will get this problem.

·
On a journey....
74 Posts
Another problem I have is the facts I wasn't given a spare key when I bought the car. I don't suppose anybody's had to buy one as I have no idea what the cost is but can only imagine it is going to be huge

Hi Wayne,

I had exactly this problem and Vauxhall wanted £285 plus £90 programming to provide a spare!
Eventually, after much looking around, I bought a replacement fob on eBay from a Chinese firm for about £10 (?).
It is identical apart from the charge cable logo and works at 433Hz. I then persuaded Vauxhall Wimbledon to program it for me - which they did at the 2nd attempt for £65 plus VAT.
Finally, I used a firm of locksmiths in Guildford who were the only ones I could find who would cut the key and they charged £20.
Result - but a lot of faffing!
Tim

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had a similar episode last year, although putting my jacket in the boot (keys in jacket pocket) having only opened the boot using the button, not the fob.

After I shut the boot I realised what I had done..........:sick:

Had to wait half an hour for my wife to arrive with the spare key
Same here. So the answer is always open the car with the fob?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,095 Posts
Same here. So the answer is always open the car with the fob?
That's what I tend to do, but mainly because the door buttons seem quite fragile and people that use them all the time seem to end up having to replace them.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts