Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 24 kW Leaf has developed a strange intermittent fault. It will occasionally just lock itself without you touching the key fob or door button. This is not too bad if you have the keys on you, but if you've left them in your coat pocket, which is in the car, it's a bit of a disaster.

I've change the batteries in the key fob for new good quality batteries, just in case it was a low battery issue, but it's still happening. Anybody got any ideas why?

Ed

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
For anything happening that's a bit odd, the first place to look is the health of the 12v battery.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Are you any near a powerful radio station or radar installation when it happens?

BTW; I always have fob in my pockets of my trousers I'm wearing

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I think if you unlock the car, but then do not open a door, it will relock after a period as a security measure against the unlock having been triggered by someone else's keyfob.

From another thread, (which I can't currently find) it appears that the doors will not lock if your keyfob is inside the car.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I found myself unable to lock the car, it just beeped when I pressed the button on the door handle.

Turns out that I'd dropped the key onto the backseat (when installing a car seat) and it was ensuring I didn't lock the key in the car.

I guess it's more a protection against a 3rd party taking advantage of the key being in range to unlock and drive away.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,654 Posts
The vehicle should not lock if the key is inside - this is standard of all keyless cars.If you try to lock it with a key inside, it will emit a series of about 8 short, high pitched beeps from the bonnet area in quick succession and not lock!

This to me suggests either a faulty/low 12V battery in the car, or a faulty/low battery in the key.

How old is the car? EDIT: 2014..... three years isn't too bad a life span for either the key or the 12V batteries, worth checking both!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts