Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick piece of advice if anyone can help please. I am just sorting out getting a charger fitted for my Kia Soul which arrives at the end of next week.

I want the functionality of an Ohme, but we have some concerns about the fact that they are not the prettiest setup on the wall and need an earth rod. So my wife is preferring the option of something more 'neat', like a Pod Point, with the option of spending the extra £200 on the Ohme Type 2 cable if and when we decide to switch to Agile. Until we do, with scheduled charging functionality in the car, and using Octopus Go, a Pod Point would meet our needs fine. But it would need to be untethered (which is faffy) in order to give us the option of making it smarter later on with the Ohme cable.

But something then struck me - if you have a £200 cable sticking out of an untethered unit overnight, how easy is it to nick?, Is the cable locked into the car whilst charging, and is it locked into the unit itself, or both?

Thanks (and sorry for the stupid questions).

Not convinced myself - think I need to convince the missus to go for the wall unit, ugly as it is. Too much of a faff with an untethered.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Cables lock to the car end if you choose the right option on the car, my kia defaulted to unlocking when no charging happening but was a press the button once to deselect that option, and now it locks all charge cables until I unlock manually.

·
Registered
262 Posts
(and that is both on public chargers and my untethered ohme). No chance of it being stolen due to that without them also stealing the car.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Ref OHME, I have one without a earth rod, they work fine with a matt:e device. Many on here will make comments that they don't fully meet all requirements on isolation, but they do work similarly to the device inside a pod point that removes need for an earth, and they do hide away nicely in the electrical cupboard here. In my case I had no option to install a earth rod in vicinity due to sevrices and distance to neighbours, which is also a consideration on earth rods (they are not always suitable if you have lots of services in close proximity to your car charging point). I was informed it was not an option from my electrician and did push him on it after comments here, but reading the regulations I agree it would be near impossible to meet distance requirements for a TT system with the geography of the rest of streets supply setup..

Ref tariff thats your choice -> I'd also note you are aware if you go on a long drive, on Go you willl be overpaying if you don't take a min of 2 days to recharge... the Soul takes around 8 hours like the niro for a 20% -> 100% charge, so 2 days of 4 hours 5p rate. Agile is cheaper if you regularly need to go from 20% to 80% in a single night, as you usually can manage a 6-7p average over the full 7 ish hours that will take. Its a great option if you dont need a long charge regularly thouggh.

I tend to recharge once a week once I see some cheap rates coming myself, which also works without any smart charger, however it would be a right faff tonight (I need 100% by tommorrow, which would mean in this region 10:30-11 charge, 0:30-1, 2-4:30am then 2pm to 4pm tommorrow for the 4:30 departure we have planned. A eniro can't program a schedule like that, and not doing so would cost ~ 40p extra on this charge alone.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
with the option of spending the extra £200 on the Ohme Type 2 cable if and when we decide to switch to Agile.
I'm not certain, but my understanding is that this Ohme plugs into a 'commando' socket, not a type 2 chargepoint like the Podpoint. So it wouldn't just be a case of plugging it into the Podpoint - it wouldn't work, even if you changed the plug on the Ohme, as you'd have two charge-points in series.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Starquake. Yes, in terms of tariff, I am open minded. Right now, I am not doing much driving due to this pandemic thingy. So Go will be fine. But when we get back to a more normal way of life, that involves much more time on the road and that's when Agile will work best, hence my desire to have a setup that involves Ohme, whichever way I do it.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not certain, but my understanding is that this Ohme plugs into a 'commando' socket, not a type 2 chargepoint like the Podpoint. So it wouldn't just be a case of plugging it into the Podpoint - it wouldn't work, even if you changed the plug on the Ohme, as you'd have two charge-points in series.
There are 3 different cable types you can get from Ohme, in addition to the wall unit. Type 2, commando and 3 pin plug. They specifically refer to the type 2 cable as being used to turn an existing dumb charger into a smart charger.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
They specifically refer to the type 2 cable as being used to turn an existing dumb charger into a smart charger.
OK. I hadn't heard of that one before. (y)
It must pass the comms to/from the car back to the dumb charger to fool it. Interesting.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Whether you need an earthing rod or not is not based on what charger you get. It is based on your electricity supply (see attached). Also if your DNO is likely to change the supply later. There are some chargers that avoid the need for a separate rod as it's built into the charger's technology but I don't know enough to explain in detail e.g. Zappi. The Ohme wall charger doesn't look ugly. Apart from the cable and holder you can barely see my box.
Earthing types fig.png
IMG_20200729_093356.jpg

·
Registered
ZE50 GT Line R135 CCS, Mar '20
183 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Initially, my wall charger was installed as untethered, but after several months of successful overnight charging, I went out one morning to find the charger end of my Type-2 untethered cable had been unplugged and left on the ground; the car had completed its charge cycle, but thankfully still retained the cable.
After that experience, I converted the charger to tethered and have not suffered any tampering incidents since.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts