Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post here as just waiting for our new Kona Electric 64KWh to arrive in the next 2 weeks, it will be our first electric vehicle and to make things easier all round have decided on a charge point, have got the ball rolling by sending off photos etc, seems a fairly straight forward install in one of 2 places, just need to pick a suitable charge point.
I personally like the look of untethered units and the smaller the better, having done a bit of research regarding the different units the Sync EV and EO Mini Pro 2 do tick alot of the boxes in that respect, however what I am struggling to find information on is the security features of the devices when in use, I will be on Octopus Go for overnight charging so will plugging in early evening and the cable then left attached overnight, but from what I have been reading many units do not lock the cable and allow you to just simply remove it from the charging port, I have this thought of relying on a full charge in the morning only to find someone has unplugged you overnight or worst case someone nicks the cable (I have seen more and more reports nationally of cable theft, but I am probably paying more attention now) and at £200 a pop not wanting to be replacing the cable prematurely.

Do we have a list of charging points that allow you to lock the cable in place, its my understanding that the cable connector will be locked to the Kona when the vehicle doors are locked so theft risk would be reduced but still does not help with someone unplugging it for a joke and just like the idea of it being locked in place at both ends.

We are on a private driveway but one of the 2 possible installation points will be close to the front door, so always a temptation for someone to pull the plug, maybe overthinking it but its the kind of thing I would of done as a kid for a bit of joke.

If I go with the second location for installation it will be away from the front door and not so much of an issue, but then we will get a lot of surface mounted cable along the side of the property that I am trying to avoid if possible

Thanks in advance for any suggestions / recommendations

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,855 Posts
Welcome. Hope you enjoy the car!

Most charge points unlock the cable when the car is not taking power. However the cable will be locked at the car end so there’s no way it can be taken without causing damage.

Cable theft could be an issue in the future but there’s no evidence it is now. If someone wanted to nick it, chances they’d just rip it out or cut it off anyway.

·
Registered
713 Posts
There is a lock mechanism on the car you have to remember to activate it on the Leaf at least. When it's activated you can't remove the cable at the car end.

If you don't remember to lock the cable can be stolen obviously. It might not be a big issue now but theives will catch on as more people get Evs it's an easy relatively high value item to steal if you forget to lock it. The cables are not cheap especially the longer ones it's like anything dependant on where you live I guess .

Personally I prefer tethered for my home charger as no theft risk and I don't have the hassle of getting the cable out, connecting it up, opening up car to lock / unlock the cable and putting away after each charge but each to their own.

The main reason people seem to go untethered is when they need longer charge cables than you get with the tethered chargers.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,855 Posts
That's a really good point from @Aleras I believe on the Kona there's an option as to whether it unlocks the cable when charging is completed or keeps it locked. The idea is if you're using a tethered cable at a public charge point you would want it to unlock when charging ends, in case you're not there. The rest of the time you would want the cable to stay locked until the car is unlocked. Check the handbook as my Niro defaulted to unlocking the cable. The Kia at least remembers this setting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts