Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the manual the chapter/s on the theft-alarm system and door locking/unlocking is not clear. I know not all features are fitted depending on country and the manual is generic. According to the manual, to simply lock doors without fob you press button on outside door handle with fob in vicinity of car. I like this way as keyless exit (and entry) and don't have to scrabble around for the fob.

However, the theft-alarm system (if fitted and don't know how you check) says to lock doors using outside handle button then press lock button on key fob. Alarms will sounds if doors/tailgate opened and no fob around.

Does this mean the handle button only while locking car does not set the theft alarm? I'm sure a lot of us lock car this way and assume alarm is set too? This means you really only have a keyless entry but an unsafe keyless locking feature.

Also, when unlocking if fitted there's a 2 press unlocking feature. One press unlocks driver's door only and second press within seconds opens all doors. I cannot see 2 press feature on cluster settings to activate so assume car doesn't have it fitted.

Mine's a UK e-Niro 2020. Any thoughts? How do you lock your e-Niro?

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
374 Posts
I don’t think anything about anything is clear in the user manual! It must be the worst feature of these cars. The whole thing is ambiguous, repetitive, wordy (often with the wrong words), very long winded and a very tedious read. I hope the car is somewhat better than the user manual is!!

Sorry, I don’t have an answer for you. I wish keyless entry could be disabled completely. Maybe I’m an old luddite but I much prefer the old remote button fobs. You knew where you were with those, and no risk of relay theft either.

Peter

·
Registered
417 Posts
That linked manual has Kia Motors America all over it. Is it the correct one?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was just doing some research - I thought I tracked down that document via a Canadian Kia site - but maybe not. Still it does show that someone at Corporate Kia can produce a reasonably fit-for-purpose User Manual.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure whether all of the information is applicable to UK vehicles but the Canadian e-niro user manual is much clearer and easier to read than any Uk versions I've seen - it explains the smart key/alarm system well - see pages 5-04 to 5-17. You can download it at Download Kia 2019 niro Owner's Manual | ManualsLib
Thanks. I've read the UK manual after I got my car and the section in the manual you posted looks exactly the same. It is also unclear about the 3 stages of the theft alarm system. I think it should say that you do either step 3 or 4, i.e. lock doors with either the outside handle button or key fob. Seems to imply alarm is set either way. However, both manuals read as if you need to do both.
The red dash light seems to come on either way but no easy way to tell if theft alarm will go off.

·
Registered
106 Posts
More annoying to me: I thought this (relatively expensive) Kia would work the same way as the (cheap) Zoe - wall away from the car with the key in the pocket and the car will lock itself. Not so with the Kia :(

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,833 Posts
More annoying to me: I thought this (relatively expensive) Kia would work the same way as the (cheap) Zoe - wall away from the car with the key in the pocket and the car will lock itself. Not so with the Kia :(
I do get a notification through UVO? It doesn't lock itself, but it lets me know and I can actually lock it from the app as well.

Reactions: MatthewSt

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My local Kia dealer got back to me about this. They said the manual is published in Korean and translated for countries. The accuracy of this is variable so useless I guess if you cannot rely on it. Anyway he said locking with either door button or fob will lock and activate theft alarm. Using both will deadlock the car. There is obviously no 2 button door opening feature in UK.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I do get a notification through UVO? It doesn't lock itself, but it lets me know and I can actually lock it from the app as well.
I was sitting in the car for a while before work when UVO alerted that the door was unlocked. My wife locked it remotely from home using UVO. When I opened the door, the alarm sounded

1 - 11 of 11 Posts