Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just placed my order for a PodPoint, and noticed that one of the options is for a lock. Do people feel that kind of thing is necessary? I can't really imagine someone pulling up at my house and nicking electricity for a few hours, but maybe I'm not being paranoid enough?

I ended up ordering an untethered unit and a 10m cable. Given the price of the cable, I guess it's common to either unplug it entirely and keep it indoors (or in the car), or to somehow lock it in place?

Interested to hear about everyone's thoughts and experiences.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I have an untethered chargemaster with a lock, it's been on the wall 4 years and no one has tried to charge their car on it.
I use a 10m cable, usual problem 2 cars on drive and need the length. this is left plugged in and anchored to the wall with a Staple and small padlock. Anyone desperate for the copper will cut the cable anyway so the lock is a deterrent,

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,248 Posts
The myth of people stealing electricity seems alive and well. Has it ever happened in this country?
As you identified, the kit is more likely to be stolen in my opinion. PodPoints sell without provenence on eBay for £300 - that's a lot of electricity even at Ionity rates.
You can get cable locks but they are easy to overcome - Google BosnianBill and his YouTube videos testing them - anything he knows the crims know. My suggestion is to keep your unit out of site.

·
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have tall wrought-iron gates halfway down my driveway. I suppose I could install the charger behind that, and bolt the cable to the wall. I just wonder if all I'd achieve is inconveniencing myself!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,248 Posts
When would you want to take the cable anywhere else? What you suggests sounds sensible as the charge point will be app controlled.

·
Registered
311 Posts
A friend had the pod point 'lock' fitted and is still in dispute with them. Within two weeks, it had rusted up, then the barrel started rotating which ultimately disabled his charger.

Basically, the 'lock' installation comprised of someone drilling a hole in the side of the unit and fitting a cheap key switch. The problems are firstly that the correct hole for the key switch isn't a round hole, it should have had square sides to prevent rotation. Secondly, it clearly was not an outdoor rated key switch!

I don't think electricity theft is a real problem to be honest... You'd have to have a real brass neck to pull up on someone's drive and plug your car in!

·
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like my best solution is to install the charger behind the gate, and bolt the cable to the wall. It's a long enough cable that it could reach pretty much anywhere, and the main equipment will be safe from casual thieves. Thanks for your advice everyone.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
When would you want to take the cable anywhere else? What you suggests sounds sensible as the charge point will be app controlled.
If someone didn't want to take the cable with them, then they would order a tethered unit. If a cable doesn't come with the car, then it's needed for destination charging.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,248 Posts
The OP has bought a 10m cable which is longer than most want as a destination charge cable. I have a non-tethered unit and have a dedicated cable that lives in it the whole time for convenience and a further "destination" cable in the boot of the car, but it enables me to allow friends with different standard connectors to use the point when visiting if they have their destination cable. It also means that if my cable gets damaged I have a spare and am not marooned awaiting a replacement. Each to their own I guess.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Mine will be installed in my garden behind a locked gate. I suppose if it was just on the side or front of my house I might consider some kind of lock.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
If someone didn't want to take the cable with them, then they would order a tethered unit. If a cable doesn't come with the car, then it's needed for destination charging.
Same here as @dk6780 10m was not available when installed and I have a type 1 car, next will be type 2. Saves the problem of rewiring the cable. The old type1 will go with the car when its replaced.

·
Registered
2011 Leaf with Muxsan 17.6kWh battery, curt tow hitch fitted for bikes or buzz rack P10
280 Posts
It is always an option to turn off the pod point at the breaker essentially achieving the same thing as the lock, less convenient and tbh I doubt anyone is going to be cheeky enough to steal your electricity. if you think they might set up a camera with a motion sensor and if and when it is a problem worry about it then.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan leaf
128 Posts
I've just placed my order for a PodPoint, and noticed that one of the options is for a lock. Do people feel that kind of thing is necessary? I can't really imagine someone pulling up at my house and nicking electricity for a few hours, but maybe I'm not being paranoid enough?

I ended up ordering an untethered unit and a 10m cable. Given the price of the cable, I guess it's common to either unplug it entirely and keep it indoors (or in the car), or to somehow lock it in place?

Interested to hear about everyone's thoughts and experiences.
I'm get my charger fitted behind my gate and would need a longer cable, where did you purchase the 10m cable if you don't mind me asking?

·
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm get my charger fitted behind my gate and would need a longer cable, where did you purchase the 10m cable if you don't mind me asking?
It was direct from PodPoint.

I decided on this so I have a universal connector. I have the car on a lease and it goes back in 2 years. I didn't want to be restricted to a particular connector type in case my next car has a different connector, or so that visitors can charge if they need to. I got a 10m cable so I have flexibility about where I park the car on my drive.

·
Registered
Ioniq
701 Posts
Our charger is in full view, but I am not worried about anyone using it. They can steal electricity at ~90p an hour which is a terrible return for them, and assuming they are going to want to remain close by to be able to make a getaway if we come back then they're stuck in pointless suburbia for all that time. I mean they could read a book or go to the playpark down the street for a bit, perhaps...

I suppose your close neighbours could do it, but then they probably know your habits well enough to be able to nick things of far greater value, so if they're that bothered about 90p/hr they are welcome to it...

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I'm planning to get one of these.

make a little cut in the bottom to get the cable in and lock the plug away protected from the rain.
Cheaper and more effective than the lock

·
Registered
450 Posts
It was direct from PodPoint.

I decided on this so I have a universal connector. I have the car on a lease and it goes back in 2 years. I didn't want to be restricted to a particular connector type in case my next car has a different connector, or so that visitors can charge if they need to. I got a 10m cable so I have flexibility about where I park the car on my drive.
This was my rationale for wanting a socketed charger too but honestly the standards for charging cables is very unlikely to change for a long time, at least in Europe. The only exception I can think of is Tesla...not sure if they are compatible with Type 2 plugs? The ease of having the cable fitted is worth more than that flexibility, IMO.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I suspect that there are people who will want to nick the cable. I've had mine unplugged when charging once (pulled out of the Polar post), and the locking mechanisms in the connectors are flakey. I use a padlock with a long shackle, loop the cable round something and then back through the lock.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I suspect that there are people who will want to nick the cable
Exactly this, but I don't think it's really much to worry about. If people were seriously after the copper we'd have a spate of tethered cables being copped off too. It's not live unless it's plugged in charging.

One of the reasons I went untethered was that I felt it would be easier to replace if somebody had a go at the cable.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts