Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father managed to lock himself out of our e-niro today despite having a key on him. He parked and mistakenly put it in Neutral (rather than Park), hit the power button, got out of the car and hit the lock button on the key. When the wing mirrors failed to retract he then tried to get back into the car to see what he'd done wrong. However the doors could not be opened and neither the lock nor unlock button did anything. The car appeared to be locked but with the power on (dashboard screen was alive). My father left the car (i.e. moved out of key proximity) to contact me and I arrived 20 mins later but also found the lock & unlock buttons were completely unresponsive, the driver door button did not work, the power remained on but all the doors could not be opened. As a last resort I tried to use the UVO unlock function on my phone while with the key and standing near the car and this finally resulted in the doors unlocking. Magically after the P mode was enabled that the power switched off, the car key also started to work again as we succesfully locked the car properly using it.

Needless the say having the car keys being disabled by some odd combination of circumstances is a somewhat scary scenario for my father who is in his 80s and does not own a smartphone. I can also imagine much more awful scenarios involving kids or pets locked in the car with the doors all locked and the key not responding.

Has anyone else experienced this? Can anyone think why this might have happened so we (and potentially others) can avoid this happening again?

Thanks in advance

--------------------------
RAF code

Valid as of May 2021
===============

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, update to this having spoken to my Kia dealership and also a PSA: This is actually a feature of the car!

If you lock the car having left it in Neutral, your key fob will be disabled and the lock/unlock functions will no longer work.The ONLY way to access the car at this point is to use the physical key or the UVO app (presumably in proximity to the key and car) unlock function.

RAF code

Valid as of May 2021
===============

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
614 Posts
OK, update to this having spoken to my Kia dealership and also a PSA: This is actually a feature of the car!

If you lock the car having left it in Neutral, your key fob will be disabled and the lock/unlock functions will no longer work.The ONLY way to access the car at this point is to use the physical key or the UVO app (presumably in proximity to the key and car) unlock function.

RAF code

Valid as of May 2021
===============
Well, look on the bright side, if someone ever tries to carjack you put it in neutral get out lock the car, hand them the keys and walk off! 😂

Maybe this was a feature developed for the South African market!??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts