Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use passive locking? I mean where you just walk away from the car with the key fob in your pocket and the car automatically locks?

If so, how far away have you found you go before the car locks?

I've had this set to 'off' to date, and lock the car by pressing the door handle button.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have always had the locks set to passive, however there are times I have failed to recognise there has been no parp and returned to find the car unlocked. The most annoying thing about it self locking, is after unlocking the doors to remove the charging plug, the alarm is set to sense the plug removal, the doors lock again as I pass the front of the car, not a major problem, just one of those things that make you swear.

·
Premium Member
11,618 Posts
I used passive locking and ended up with keys locked in car while at Vauxhall garage. They were closing so I had to borrow courtesy car and go back next morning with spare keys. Disabled after that incident...

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is better to lock the car when you want instead of automatically, you don't have to use your FOB or the buttons in the door handles all the time either, you can open the door, press the locking button in the central console or press the locking button on the top of the drivers door and all doors will be locked immediately.

·
Premium Member
11,618 Posts
It is not supposed to happen and will normally beep if keys are left inside. My dealer contacted vauxhall hq and they were unable to explain how it happened - one suggestion was strong radio interference stopping the car knowing the key was inside.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Why would you leave the keys in the car, I always leave mine in my pocket.
With the Ampera you don't ever have to take them out, you press the door handle to unlock the car, press the start button and when you arrive at your destination you just lock the car and the keys cannot be left inside.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I often wear sports shorts and a T-shirt so often when I drive the car I have no pockets :)

I do keep forgetting that I have left the phone in the car though. It is kinda hidden there behind the gear lever and I forget to pick it up when I get out. I am constantly having to go back to the car to get my phone. I'd forget my head if it wasn't screwed on ;-)

·
Premium Member
11,618 Posts
Mine were in a courier style bag on the back seat, I closed the door to go and unplug the charger at the dealer and doors locked. Bear in mind some cars are driven by women and it is handy for them to leave keys in handbag.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The above is exactly the sort of scenario I feared I may fall into at some point which is why I've left it turned off. This feature, which loads of cars have these days, has always come under 'a feature too far' heading to my mind.

·
Premium Member
11,618 Posts
Yeah in hindsight it wasn't my best plan to use the feature! I think there is so much stuff using the 433Mhz frequency there is always a risk the car might not detect the key...

·
Registered
167 Posts
proddick said:
"Mine were in a courier style bag on the back seat, I closed the door to go and unplug the charger at the dealer and doors locked. Bear in mind some cars are driven by women and it is handy for them to leave keys in handbag."

I too have managed to lock the fob in the car! In my case the fob was in the pocket of my golf bag. I arrived at the rear of the car with my bag about 50cm from the boot. I opened the rear by releasing the hatch door lock in the normal manner and loaded my golf bag and gear into the boot and slammed the hatch closed with the fob still in the bag. I realized this immediately and tried to open the hatch but it was locked. It was embarrassing in the clubhouse as I had to get someone to run me home for the spare fob. Unlocking the hatch does not unlock the doors. I use this method every time I come back to the locked car to put something in, but previously with the fob in my pocket.
I had put the lack of the car detecting the fob in the car down to the fact that drivers door and other doors had not been opened but, reading proddick's post, I wonder if the back seat and boot space is blind to the fob detection system? It needs investigating.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I explored if but put if off as I could just see the inevitable happening nod day ....
Is there a way to put a horn beep confirmation on when walking away from the car and locking? Have nog found it but I did find if useful in previous cars I've had.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts