Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
evezy referral code d6540
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
209BC775-D238-44F1-BF7D-D426127F7F82.jpeg
Just read this article in the council magasine that all households in the borough receive. 80 charge points will be installed this year. I took them up on their invitation to request a charge point near where I live. There are four bevs and one phev within a ten minute walk from my house so I’m hoping at least one charge point will be installed near me.

The article doesn’t state which provider has been chosen. I’m hoping that it’s not Source London as they charge by the minute and not the kWh. This works in central London where parking is very expensive but not in the outer boroughs where parking is cheaper or often free. The neighbouring borough of Barking and Dagenham have partnered with Source London who have installed sets of three charging points around the borough. I have as yet not seen any of them being used.

Hoping my council go with chargemaster as polar membership is included in my subscription with evezy. If there are any per kWh charges, evezy pay them as well. According to the article, the council are in talks with Transport for London to provide a rapid charging network across the borough as well. This should encourage ev ownership especially as the borough will be in the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) from October 2020. Any petrol car not meeting Euro 4 standards and any diesel car not meeting Euro 6 standards will have to pay £12.50 every day that they are in the ULEZ.

·
EGGY
1,101 Posts
I'm trying to persuade a bloke in work who lives in Hackney to buy an EV, whilst doing some wandering around zap-map I noticed the Ubitricty points are increasing. Thought occurred to me that in an area with such dense population a splattering of rapids and lots of lamp post chargers would work ? Surely most car owners in these areas are using public transport in the week and their cars at the weekend ?

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
According to the article, the council are in talks with Transport for London to provide a rapid charging network across the borough as well.
That would be a better place to spend public money, rather than scattering intermittently available slow chargers around the place.

·
EGGY
1,101 Posts
Cost - for 1 rapid you could convert a lot of lamp posts, so 1 rapid being hogged by a PHEV, or 15 lamp post conversions ?

Probably a mixture of both, which is what @planetpolitic advocates when PodPoint do their installs

·
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm trying to persuade a bloke in work who lives in Hackney to buy an EV, whilst doing some wandering around zap-map I noticed the Ubitricty points are increasing. Thought occurred to me that in an area with such dense population a splattering of rapids and lots of lamp post chargers would work ? Surely most car owners in these areas are using public transport in the week and their cars at the weekend ?
Get him to try an ev if he’s unsure. They are so easy to drive in London traffic. I’ve got a Zoe from evezy. One month minimum rental then a rolling monthly subscription that can be cancelled at any time by giving 10 days notice. Can swap cars as well. All inclusive prices. i3, Leaf and iPace also available. If he uses my referral code we’ll both get £50 off one months subscription!

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Cost - for 1 rapid you could convert a lot of lamp posts, so 1 rapid being hogged by a PHEV, or 15 lamp post conversions ?
15 lamppost conversions is a little over-optimistic, more like 5 I would say. I don't see cost as the issue here per se.

Obviously a rapid charger is more expensive than a slow charger. The point is, that it is about practicality and convenience, and also future-proofing to some extent.

I have given up trying to get the point across that properly managed rapid charging hubs would be better than lots of slow chargers spaced about a borough. It shouldn't be a case of the more the merrier with chargers, and more thought needs to be given to how they would best be deployed for mass take-up of EVs.

·
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Received a reply from the council saying that there has been quite a few requests for charging points in my area so it is highly likely that I will get one near me. Allego are providing the posts but I don’t yet know which network will run it.

·
Lettuce Leaf early to be sure of arriving on time.
907 Posts
15 lamppost conversions is a little over-optimistic, more like 5 I would say. I don't see cost as the issue here per se.

Obviously a rapid charger is more expensive than a slow charger. The point is, that it is about practicality and convenience, and also future-proofing to some extent.

I have given up trying to get the point across that properly managed rapid charging hubs would be better than lots of slow chargers spaced about a borough. It shouldn't be a case of the more the merrier with chargers, and more thought needs to be given to how they would best be deployed for mass take-up of EVs.
Seen from the perspective of the moron on the Clapham omnibus, the more chargers are visible, the more the concept looks viable.

From that point of view, the more posts there are - however useless - the better, as they are instrumental in persuading Joe Halfwit to go electric. After all, it's only after he's bought an EV that he will understand any of the realities.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
given up trying to get the point across that properly managed rapid charging hubs would be better than lots of slow chargers spaced about a borough. It shouldn't be a case of the more the merrier with chargers, and more thought needs to be given to how they would best be deployed for mass take-up of EVs.
Clearly for people without home charging the best option is to have a EV charging post next to every road side parking space. But I consider well mamaged charging hubs at supermarkets to be a lot better then slow chargers at under 25% of parking locations, and there is no possibility of funding for slow chargers at all parking locations any time soon.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Clearly for people without home charging the best option is to have a EV charging post next to every road side parking space. But I consider well mamaged charging hubs at supermarkets to be a lot better then slow chargers at under 25% of parking locations, and there is no possibility of funding for slow chargers at all parking locations any time soon.
You don't need 100% coverage of slow charging.

Certainly you need a base level of rapid charging regardless of the on-street provision - to cater for long-distance drivers passing through, and for those whose other charging option has failed for whatever reason. Once you have that (and many places already do, or will have before long without government intervention), it's then a question of whether extra demand can be better handled by expanding the rapid provision or by adding on-street charging (or other options like workplace charging).

On street doesn't need to be 100% to be useful. EVs aren't yet 100% of the population and city-bound EVs don't need to charge every day. So you can start with a few bays that are restricted to EV only, and a tariff that makes people only use them if they need at least some charge (minimum session charge sounds best to me; a per-hour element would also work to make those spaces less desirable than non-EV spaces if you don't need a charge). EV drivers will get a space a couple of times a week and might have to top up at a rapid occasionally - but that's better than having to use a rapid all the time.

The key thing is to ensure that expansion occurs at the right rate - too quickly and people will grumble at being unable to park their ICE cars with all the empty EV spaces; too slowly and the EV experience becomes unattractive.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Any news on progress from Newham. I have not heard anything more since I sent the email to Newham other than they are still finding a company to do the work.

·
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had an email from them recently saying they’re still choosing sites and then will have to consult with local residents so I’d be pleasantly surprised if we see them this side of Christmas. Send your email address via pm and I’ll forward you the email if you’d like.

·
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is the email I received on the 9th of August:

We are in the process of identifying sites within the borough to implement new charging points and we will add this to our list for investigation.

In addition to the site investigation please be advised there is a legal process that must be adhered to and a statutory consultation is undertaken with an advertisement being placed in the local press and notices erected on site. This enables members of the public up to 21 days to make representations regarding the proposals. If no objections are received a further advertisement is placed in the paper advising that the Traffic Management Orders have been made or amended and the works can be progressed. This process can take an additional 6 to 8 weeks to complete.

Kind Regards

Diane Bourne I Principal Officer I Highways & Traffic I Community & Environment
London Borough of Newham
Newham Dockside I 1000 Dockside Road I London E16 2QU
DDI: 020 3373 1344 I Int: 31344

Perhaps along with @Mbugsy18 we could send them emails to ask about progress. [email protected]

·
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any update on street charger In Newham ?
Do you live in the borough and do you already have an EV. If so, what are you doing about charging at present?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do you live in the borough and do you already have an EV. If so, what are you doing about charging at present?
I currently live in Stratford and bought my i3 a week ago. I wish I had done more research because my area is completely deprived of street chargers.
The nearest charge point is Stratford International which I believe is run by Source London and they charge per min plus parking fee. Westfield has chargers installed but there inst a provider running them.

Please share if you find you have tips on charging around this area. Thanks

·
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I currently live in Stratford and bought my i3 a week ago. I wish I had done more research because my area is completely deprived of street chargers.
The nearest charge point is Stratford International which I believe is run by Source London and they charge per min plus parking fee. Westfield has chargers installed but there inst a provider running them.

Please share if you find you have tips on charging around this area. Thanks
Hi. I charge at the Copper Box Arena. They have two CCS rapid chargers. Join the gym and pay £1 an hour parking if you register your registration number. Otherwise it’s a flat rate of £45 if you’re not using the Arena!!
Otherwise if you’re an early bird, parking is free between 5:30 and 7:00 each morning (phone Parking on 020 8536 2752 to confirm this). Charging costs 25p per kWh contactless, or free if you subscribe to Polar Plus.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi. I charge at the Copper Box Arena. They have two CCS rapid chargers. Join the gym and pay £1 an hour parking if you register your registration number. Otherwise it’s a flat rate of £45 if you’re not using the Arena!!
Otherwise if you’re an early bird, parking is free between 5:30 and 7:00 each morning (phone Parking on 020 8536 2752 to confirm this). Charging costs 25p per kWh contactless, or free if you subscribe to Polar Plus.
Great tip!
I will aim to give it a try early morning.
Sorry stupid question maybe, are the rapid chargers equipped with a cable? I only have the 7kw max public charging cable. Thank you

·
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great tip!
I will aim to give it a try early morning.
Sorry stupid question maybe, are the rapid chargers equipped with a cable? I only have the 7kw max public charging cable. Thank you
Give Parking Control a call to check I’ve got the timing correct.

There are two Ultrachargers which have their own cables. Use the CCS one for a rapid charge. A 30 minute charge would give you about 75 miles range.

Join Polar Plus and charging would be free. First three months are free then around £8 a month. You’d need to calculate if you’d use their network enough to justify the subscription.
Polar Plus

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
are the rapid chargers equipped with a cable
All rapid chargers (DC) come equipped with their own cable fixed to the unit.

You are only likely to need your own cable for the lower power AC units (typically up to 22 kW)

1 - 20 of 72 Posts