Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I tried these and they are currently free of charge. Probably a promotion by Engenie.
The parking advisor had no clue about the free parking and he called his supervisor who wasn’t aware either. To avoid a penalty I paid £5 which allows you to stay up to 4 hours. I charged my i3 80% in just over an hour.
Where are they located? Did you stay in your i3 or is it a short distance to the shopping centre?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Where are they located? Did you stay in your i3 or is it a short distance to the shopping centre?
They are on the the ground floor, on your right as you enter the car park. I left the care charging and went to Westfield which is a 2 minute walk from the car park.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi everyone,
See below comments from Engine's customer support with regards to parking at Stratford International:

The press release is correct in that we are subsidising the parking fees for cars using the chargers, so that parking is free for the customer (up to 90min of charging). We do this via ANPR cameras on the charging bays, overriding the ANPR of the car park itself on the way out.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Hi everyone,
See below comments from Engine's customer support with regards to parking at Stratford International:

The press release is correct in that we are subsidising the parking fees for cars using the chargers, so that parking is free for the customer (up to 90min of charging). We do this via ANPR cameras on the charging bays, overriding the ANPR of the car park itself on the way out.
Hopefully the use the same cameras to look up if a car is a EV, and automatically fine any that is not.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi everyone,

Thanks for checking, I did message Engenie but no reply as yet.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have never used that car park before so how do you pay the £5 fee for up to 4 hours? Is it pay and display?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have never used that car park before so how do you pay the £5 fee for up to 4 hours? Is it pay and display?
You pay before you leave. There is a machine towards the end, where you input your car registration number and follow the instructions for payment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A new charging station has appeared at Morrison’s Stratford, operated by Genie Point. It has a 22Kw and 50Kw but with the additional connection charge I think it’s more expensive than Stratford International.

·
evezy referral code d6540
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
As I have free charging on the Polar network, this isn’t very helpful for me! I’m hoping Newham will partner with BP Chargemaster like Waltham Forest, and start installing some on street charging points.

The Newham Mayor was encouraging people not to drive so that pollution levels don’t go back up. Apparently Newham is pretty bad for that, and it badly affects the children. So why don’t they get on with installing charging points to encourage the take up of electric vehicles?

·
Registered
15 Posts
remember when they promised street chargers by January? Lol
How does the Polar free charging work? I haven’t seen many Polar stations in east London.

I currently charge at Stratford International and it costs up to £10 for a full charge. It’s not bad but good to have options.

·
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
992FDAF5-0F90-4AF3-A3BA-FF503198E550.png
B75F9E06-A0BD-46F6-BF59-59B3A359183A.png

Have a look on Zap-Map. For Plus subscription you pay £8 a month and gives you free access. Otherwise use their Instant app for ad hoc charging. Mostly 7kW but Waltham Forest give you 4 hours free parking if you’ve something to do in the area. Rapid chargers at the Copper Box arena but parking for users of the venue only otherwise it’s £45 for the day!!

I’m near Wanstead Flats and there’s a charger in Thorpe Road about a 15 minute walk away. I sometimes leave the car there for a couple of hours and return home.

·
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I have just sent the following email to the Mayor of Newham:

“In your recent Covid-19 Update, you referred to using “the recovery from Covid-19 as a once in a lifetime opportunity to tackle the effects of climate change”.

My fellow Electric Vehicle users and I have been waiting for sometime for on street EV Charging posts to be installed in Newham. There have been many promises, but as yet, no action. More and more Newham residents are using EVs, especially in the North Forest Gate area.

Most of Newham’s housing stock has no off street parking, hence the urgent need of public chargers at an affordable price. Many more would take up this zero emissions mode of transport if they had easy access to on street chargers. As a new technology, local government support is needed to kickstart the uptake of EVs in Newham. In addition, it should not be forgotten that next year Newham will be within the extended ULEV. Preparation for this needs to start now, to encourage more to convert to a zero emissions electric vehicle, rather than a slightly less polluting fossil fuel one.

During lockdown, the air quality in Newham greatly improved, and this is especially important to the health of the young members of the borough. The only way of maintaining this, is to encourage the mass adoption of zero emission transportation. Newham could be at the forefront of this.

At the moment I’m forced to charge my EV in the borough of Waltham Forest. They offer on street chargers that are free to use, and with 4 hours free parking. They use the BP Chargemaster Polar network, which in my opinion as an EV user of over two years, is one of the best providers.

I encourage Newham to consult with local EV users to determine the best solution for it’s residents. Often a new infrastructure is little used because it is not practical for EV users. Consultation with them before the decision making process starts would avoid the waste of public funds.

I look forward to hearing what plans Newham are developing to seize this once in a lifetime opportunity.”

Reactions: SLR

·
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
In its commitment to democracy and openness and in recognition of the fact that any approach to tackling climate emergency requires the active engagement of residents and businesses, Newham Council agreed to establish an independent Citizens’ Assembly on Climate Change. The Citizens’ Assembly met in February 2020, and brought together 36 independently and randomly selected local residents for three evenings and a weekend to develop recommendations in response to the question:

“How can the Council and residents work together to reach the aspiration of being carbon zero by 2050 at the latest?”

13. Accelerate installation of public electric charging points, and rapid-charging points, and engage with stakeholders to ensure wider deployment of charging points in on-street parking.

The Council’s response:

It is the Council’s policy to accelerate the installation of public electric charging points, and rapid-charging points in the borough and that such initiatives will in general, be subject to engagement with stakeholders.
40 free-standing double charger unit locations are being rolled out, with completion currently expected by end July 2020. A further round of engagement to identify sites for the second implementation tranche will also commence.
The Council has also been successful in securing Go Ultra Low City Scheme (GULCS) funding for two rapid charging units, to be located on main roads. (TBC)
Officers are exploring opportunities for an accelerated rollout using industry partners, and also are exploring electric vehicle charging points (EVCPs) as a commercial venture with our current partner Allego Ltd.

·
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
11. 'Greening’ of Council Fleet Vehicles

Ref Actions (Lead Officer: Dave Adams)

11.1 Introduce Gas-To-Liquid (GTL) fuel alternative to diesel to reduce particulates and emissions.
Key Dates: July/August 2020

11.2 Introduce up to 40 electric vans to the Council’s fleet.
Key Dates: December 2020

11.3 Install charging points for electric vehicles at Central and Bridge Road Depots.
Key Dates: September 2020

·
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
10.2 Electric Charging Point Infrastructure Rollout
Lead Officer: Alptekin Tanriverdi

Tranche 1 – by July 2020
Tranche 2 – by December 2020

·
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Newham have teamed up with Allego. But who are they?

Allego is one of the leading providers of charging solutions in Europe and Shell’s technology partner for Recharge. Allego manages the operations of the charge posts and the Smoov payment app and is also able to provide help to drivers using the service.

Allego Website

·
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
What is "Gas-To-Liquid (GTL) fuel alternative"?

Sounds like LPG?
GTL Fuel is the acronym for Gas-To-Liquid. It describes the synthetic diesel alternative that turns natural gas into a liquid fuel suitable for use in unmodified diesel engines.

The GTL process consists of three stages:

In the first stage synthesis gas, a mixture of hydrogen and carbon monoxide, is manufactured from natural gas by partial oxidation. Impurities are removed from the syngas.

A second stage converts the synthesis gas into liquid hydrocarbons using a catalyst. In this stage, a liquid is formed which looks and feels like wax at room temperature.

The final stage is cracking and isomerisation, which “tailors” the molecule chains into products with desired properties. This yields high-quality liquids such as diesel, kerosene and lubricant oil.

Reactions: ringi

·
Registered
90 Posts
The new Lidl store at Beckton Claps gate Lane is almost ready for business and I noticed 2 rapid chargers in the car park which is also almost complete.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts