Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I've just bought a hybrid (Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV) and I live in Dalston, London. To be honest I'm feeling a bit duped. I bought a hybrid because I didn't want to add much to London's pollution and I thought it'd be a more economical way of driving in the city. However it seems that the charging schemes (particularly Source London) make it so expensive to charge up I might as well have bought a cheaper, petrol car. This seems mad to me. Do any of you know of an inexpensive way to charging regularly around Dalston? I wish I had off street parking. Hope you can help, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Google translate; “didn’t do any research before buying”

Ask your local council what their plans are for charging EVs for people who can’t charge at home. Also look at local supermarkets (any ALDIs nearby?) and similar some have cheap charging . But essentially without home or work charging, EVs don’t work for most people.

·
Premium Member
10,190 Posts
Sorry to hear that you can't charge at home or work, which is main market EVs are aimed at today.

The Source London charging isn't great for regular use as you have now found out. The new owner mainly took it over to facilitate their EV rental fleet IMO.

However, there are plans to introduce residential charging into a lot of London boroughs. See Funding boost for London's electric vehicle charging infrastructure

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Often a hybrid will give much fewer pollution then a normal engine in city traffic, even if it is never charged.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is concerning.

We love in a flat in Shoreditch and we don't have access to off-street parking.

We're just off of City Road and have been led to believe by all of Hackney's 2016/2017 green investment announcements that 2018 was a good time to switch to an Outlander PHEV.

There's supposed to be a rapid charge point in the grounds of Holborn Studios but online charging maps have been showing it as being a Source London unit that's been out-of-order for a little while. I phoned Source London to ask when they were going to repair it and they advised that they don't own it anymore :-/

We really want to switch to the PHEV but it would make no sense if we couldn't charge it in a cost-efficient way each day. Hmm.

Anyone know of any free or cheapish places near City Road road where we can park and charge an ev? Our flat is contained within a Section 106 car-free development, as such we don't qualify for a free residents parking permit :(

·
Super Moderator
11,106 Posts
Anyone know of any free or cheapish places near City Road road where we can park and charge an ev?
Free charge points are often broken or not available.
Points that aren't free are usually not cost effective for an Outlander.

An Outlander probably won't work for you.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Hello everyone, I've just bought a hybrid (Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV) and I live in Dalston, London. To be honest I'm feeling a bit duped. I bought a hybrid because I didn't want to add much to London's pollution and I thought it'd be a more economical way of driving in the city. However it seems that the charging schemes (particularly Source London) make it so expensive to charge up I might as well have bought a cheaper, petrol car. This seems mad to me. Do any of you know of an inexpensive way to charging regularly around Dalston? I wish I had off street parking. Hope you can help, thanks in advance.
Hackney council have got Ubitricity to install some lamp post chargers.

I know of one location, but they haven't really been publishing their installations. It may be worth contacting Hackney council to find out where other locations are.

Open Charge Map - Location Details: OCM-94843 Ubitricity Clifton Street

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
We love in a flat in Shoreditch and we don't have access to off-street parking.
Thats all very interesting though i dont see what parking has got to do with it, but please try to stay on topic regards electric cars rather than personal details

:D

·
Super Moderator
11,106 Posts
Hackney council have got Ubitricity to install some lamp post chargers.
Is Ubitricty cost effective for an Outlander?

£299 for the lead + £1 per session + 19p per kWh might be reasonable.

The £1 connect fee may tip it to being too expensive for any Plug-in Hybrid.

·
Super Moderator
11,106 Posts
Lets see:

12kWh * 0.19 + £1 or about £3.28 to recharge. That will get about 20-25 miles on electricity. That works out to about 13-16p per mile. So it isn't too bad if the battery is at zero when you plug in.

On the other hand a fuel efficient ICE or conventional hybrid can do better than 15p per mile and it will do it for more than 25 miles.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Maybe we should go back to the law in London a long time ago, that may car ownership illegal unless someone had their own off road parking.....

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Plug in Hybrids will never be able to reach their potential if you dont have regular and low cost plug in facilities. Thats their mode of operation and advantage. Short journeys all on low cost power, longer journeys possible but at greater cost subsidised by the initial low cost EV mileage. A large PHEV like the outlander is not good on fuel if thats the only option. Its not meant to be a city vehicle, but is a great alternative to running a lare Diesel 4x4 for the dangerous school run in a city .
Hackney also have some Genie point rapid chargers, and my dealings with them have been exemplorary.
If you are driving to work in London, then presumably you have a regular destination/ car park. Could you change that to a location with std fast charge point access? If going to an employer location can you access charge points there or influence them to in stall charge outlets? It does however sound like you have purchased a vehicle not really suited to your usage. A conventional Hybrid would have probably suited you better, although there are limited alternatives to the Outlander, which is actually a large vehicle for city use.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Stick with an ICE until it is practical for you to have a 100% electric vehicle.

The early adopters of pure BEV, who have the charging infrastructure to meet their needs, will be in sufficient numbers to incentivise the system providers to produce a charging infrastructure that suits everyone.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Or move next door to Islington: as I keep banging in about, we have a proper in-house residents’ street charging scheme and it’s brilliant.

Two 7kW, one rapid and a 3kW within about a mile of our house, rarely blocked, cheap subscription, & still £0/kWh.

How all boroughs should have done it, in my view.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Islington is a disaster, unless you are a resident you cant use the chargers. Even the Rapids paid for by Govt subsidy are now restricted to Islington residents only. So you cant go there to work and charge. Im sure if you are a resident its great, but I really dont understand how they can take Govt money for the charge points then, shut the rest of society out from using them.

·
Registered
221 Posts
@Grumpy-b I sympathise and they should address this somehow. I should have qualified my statement, but I was specifically on about OP’s point about home charging in other boroughs.

Personally I could understand - with no disrespect intended to visitors who need to charge - if the council sees its proper priority is to provide for the majority of local tax payers who have no home charging option. Discuss...

Arguably, public destination or rapid charging could be interpreted as the market’s role. E.g. Holloway Rd Shell rapid charger and various supermarkets’ 3kW podpoint types. However, the council should absolutely plan/execute to attract & promote this provision to address current market failure. Discuss...

If Islington haven’t stuck to the spirit of the grants (have they not?), at least they didn’t sell it/ give it all away to TfL who then sold other boroughs’ infrastructure to SL’s new parent co., who in turn (it appears from others’ reports) couldn’t care less about either target group - in favour of fleets. Discuss...

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
If Islington provided chargers that none residents could use, would they be in use 100% of the time by people driving into London, and then getting a bus?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts