Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Had been suspended for coronavirus, being reinstated on Monday 18th May but hours extended to 10pm (used to end at 6pm) and now 7 days a week rather than M-F.

Charge goes up from £11.50 to £15 from 22 June.

I’m probably one of many who’d drive an EV in the zone at off-peak times so never bothered applying for the EV discount (you don’t get it automatically), but I will now.

Discount details - Discounts and exemptions

You need to set up an account and upload documents and pay £10 for the year but then driving the zone is free.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Khan is going against Shapps on by banning cars from a large area of central London - good on him. Anyone know if this will include cabs and Ubers?
The changes to the Congestion charge are partly a response to the recent loss of income from tubes and buses, and the fact that TfL are correctly only being loaned money not being given it for free.

·
Registered
188 Posts
im not sure Khan has won this. By getting a TfL to take a loan not a grant, (easyJet got no strings bailout for example) by raising the price and terms to £15 for longer days and 7 days a week and by accepting a board oversight from government department of transport, central has taken a huge chunk from Londoners to redistribute elsewhere. They used TFL dire straits to make Londoners pay a lot more just to drive into central - if you live there you don’t need a car, but if you don’t fancy the Covid Party Trains it’s a real enforced cost increase.

I think Shapps has shafted the London Mayor myself. I can’t see how Khan wins, apart from doing excellent work in getting a bailout secured.

·
Registered
188 Posts
What are you talking about?
do I actually have to type a reply, or are you saying easyJet didn’t get a grant rather than a loan? Or, a member of central government on the board. If I’ve got a detail wrong please just say that

·
Registered
17,473 Posts
do I actually have to type a reply, or are you saying easyJet didn’t get a grant rather than a loan? Or, a member of central government on the board. If I’ve got a detail wrong please just say that
Which grant are you talking about? Is this different to what TfL can access?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Which grant are you talking about? Is this different to what TfL can access?
I’ve already said what I’ve said. The point is, by way of example is that businesses like TFL have been bailed out on very lenient terms by comparison, and TFL is essential as opposed to a small business.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
im not sure Khan has won this. By getting a TfL to take a loan not a grant, (easyJet got no strings bailout for example) by raising the price and terms to £15 for longer days and 7 days a week and by accepting a board oversight from government department of transport, central has taken a huge chunk from Londoners to redistribute elsewhere. They used TFL dire straits to make Londoners pay a lot more just to drive into central - if you live there you don’t need a car, but if you don’t fancy the Covid Party Trains it’s a real enforced cost increase.

I think Shapps has shafted the London Mayor myself. I can’t see how Khan wins, apart from doing excellent work in getting a bailout secured.
TfL got the same deal as transport in other regions. Someone has to pay for the costs, and why should the whole country pay for only something only London benefits from? Khan is passing all of the blame for the additional costs and more onto the Government.

·
Registered
17,473 Posts
I’ve already said what I’ve said. The point is, by way of example is that businesses like TFL have been bailed out on very lenient terms by comparison, and TFL is essential as opposed to a small business.
I suspect you don’t know what you’re talking about when you say ‘EasyJet got a no-strings bailout’:

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,116 Posts
I wonder if this will improve the resale value of secondhand EVs in the London area.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I cannot abide Kahn as Mayor but this is something I can support.

Since lockdown, in just a few short weeks, the lack of ICE traffic and resulting pollution means Londoners can see stars at night and non C-19 respiratory admissions are through the floor.

Kahn’s closing roads to cars and increase in Con Charge is the perfect opportunity to build on this.

Electric cars, bikes, scooters (legislation being brought forward soon) and cabs are the answer. And of course, for those who fancy playing Russian Roulette with the virus, one of the finest public transport systems in the world.

There’s also the two gangly things that hang off the ends of our hips!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Does the congestion charge exemption only apply to those living in London? I have applied twice and never received the exemption approval.

Strange as I paid just over €4 for a French Cri'Air sticker to allow me to travel to the centre of many major cities in France which also gives access to some EV parking places. Yet I can not get an exemption from the congestion charge in my own country!

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,116 Posts
Does the congestion charge exemption only apply to those living in London? I have applied twice and never received the exemption approval.

Strange as I paid just over €4 for a French Cri'Air sticker to allow me to travel to the centre of many major cities in France which also gives access to some EV parking places. Yet I can not get an exemption from the congestion charge in my own country!
All electric vehicles qualify. Apply here. £10 pa.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts