Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone signed up to be excluded? How smooth/simple was the process?

I looked into this earlier in the year and got a bit confuddled, anyone with experience got any tips?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Oh I didn't realise you needed to do anything. I thought you could just drive in and wouldn't be charged. Not that I've actually tried. Should probably look into it.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 30kwh Tekna (2016)
113 Posts
*seconded

looking forward to hearing your findings and how many times you need to recharge for a round trip MK-bigsmoke ;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Oh I didn't realise you needed to do anything. I thought you could just drive in and wouldn't be charged. Not that I've actually tried. Should probably look into it.
I thought this too until I took a quick look the other week. You apparently have to apply for a green car exclusion certificate at a cost of £10 per year. I guess this is to load your registration plate onto the camera system so it doesn't charge you. Then of course you need to consider the charging cards that you'll require while charging in the London region (source south?). Another £10 per year.

Knowing that the congestion charge is only payable for weekdays (at last check), the number of times I'll be needing to go within the congestion zone outside of these times will probably be minimal. I decided that it wasn't worthwhile for me.

Remember that if you are not registered exempt, you must pay the normal charges regardless of what car you drive.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will the Polar/Chargemaster card not cover Source South / Source London? I really need to get better acquainted with the regional card systems!

If it's exempt at weekends only then I wont be worrying too much, but now there's an Ecotricity rapid charger up and running at Toddington I can see London being a far more regular trip, cheaper than the trains!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Has anyone signed up to be excluded? How smooth/simple was the process?

I looked into this earlier in the year and got a bit confuddled, anyone with experience got any tips?
I signed up with TFL a month or so into my ownership. Cost £10 renewable annually. I visited London by car once in the intervening year, and to be honest, I'm not sure I even entered the zone as I was not worrying about it. I went from Surrey to Canary Wharf to give some work colleagues a taste of EV constant thrust! Used charge hold to get up there saving battery for traffic and demos. Didn't bother trying to charge. Had to buy a fiver's worth of petrol to get home tho'. Point is it cost the same to opt out as it did to visit the once, or more if I never entered the zone, so I haven't renewed.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
The CC zone is surprisingly small.

See here: http://bit.ly/IRlNWJ

You can see it doesn't start in the west until Park Lane and Oxford Street so if you are going anywhere west of that you won't need exemption.

To the south the boundary is Victoria, Vauxhall and Elephant and Castle.

To the north it Edgware Road, Regents Park, Kings Cross and Old Street.

To the east it is Aldgate and Tower Hill.

I have never needed the CC Exemption in spite of several trips to London.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Ah! Yes, I did go in - along past Waterloo, but if I had gone via Elephant & Castle, I could have avoided it. So I was evens on cost then.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The CC zone is surprisingly small.

See here: http://bit.ly/IRlNWJ

You can see it doesn't start in the west until Park Lane and Oxford Street so if you are going anywhere west of that you won't need exemption.
Wonder how that aligns with where the public charge points are located. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts