Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Hyundai Kona convert...
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning to go into London tonight, smug in the knowledge that I'll be 'immune' from Congestion Charge... But taking a look at the Transport For London website, I'm not so sure.
I entered my Reg into the 'pay congestion charge' page expecting to see '£0.00' or some other pleasing result :), but it came up with a £11.50 charge, despite correctly identifying my car as an Ampera. ????
Looking further, I'm unclear whether I need to register with TFL that my car is 'exempt' (that's £10/year), or is it automatic? Can anyone advise?
(Actually, having spent so much time on the various tfl links, it looks like it'll be after 6pm by the time I get to the 'danger zone' anyway..... but for next time?)

·
Super Moderator
6,389 Posts
If you are going tonight then after 6 pm its free for all

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
You gotta laugh. You have to print out form and post it with a photocopy of your log book and a cheque. Are they for real ?
(I park at Westfield stratford and leave the car on charge there on the rare occasions I have to go into the city.)

·
Registered
697 Posts
I just don't bother, and take my custom elsewhere. A bit like MK - when they brought in daft parking charges, and over-zealous enforcement, it's just less hassle to go out of town / Bicester Village, and not have the hassle or risk of a PCN.

·
Registered
307 Posts
It's quite a simple form to fill in a long with photocopy of v5 and £10 cheque. Took 3 working days for return confirmation for me.

Will be using the exemption a fair bit during the week in school hols with taking kids into town and catching up with friends over lunch. Remember free on street parking in any pay and display bays in Westminster as well.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
When I finally called having spent ages trying to find the info on the internet I was told by a TFL assistant "You have to fill out the form and send it in and you have to be illegible"
I said "Sorry?" and she repeated the same about having to be illegible to fill in the form.:confused:
"Oh you mean eligible" I said and she said "Dats wot I said illegible".:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
LOL sounds like the same lady who called me back, I put my card details on the form for the payment but she still rang me to take payment over the phone. Whole process was pretty painless

·
Registered
Kona SE
1,216 Posts
I recognise the problems. Last time I considered it (with a Hybrid in 2007) I just gave up. I only travelled into the zone once so it was not worth applying anyway.

This time with an EV I decided to brave the paperwork. Firstly I had to wait for the V5 to turn up on first registration and then sent off the application by post. It was nearly 3 more weeks for the confirmation to come back. I have yet to try it out.

An important watch point is that it is not an Exemption as with some vehicles but a 100% Discount. My guess is that when a vehicle is exempt it will always be so unless the main legislation is changed. A discount however can be changed by a simple notice. I conclude from this that when the city is clogged with EVs (holding up all the buses and 8 wheeler construction trucks and increasing their pollution) then the Mayor can ask for the discount to be reduced.

It is also unclear from the main instructions whether you need to register your journey and offer to pay the charge (zero) or simply ignore the system as with exempt vehicles. Reading the appeals process suggests that it works the same as an exempt vehicle in that respect.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Well worth registering as it also means FREE parking in westminster (any meter, paid slot: upto 4 hours !!)
Correct me if i am wrong , but I can't see that registering would make any difference to parking charges. One is run by Capita for TFL while the other is City of Westminster ¿

·
http://ts.la/david3488
702 Posts
the disk brake makes it look like a motorbike in the boot, is that your rex :p

Reactions: Mark Sanders
1 - 20 of 32 Posts