Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The best there is at what I do
10,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have the rules changed, I thought last year I was exempt from both CC and ULEZ but this year I'm just exempt for the ULEZ, I only go into Central London when the CC isn't active so it isn't a problem.

·
Registered
56 Posts
To receive a CC exemption there is a £10 annual administration fee. I don't think you need to register for ULEZ exemption

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
You don't need to register for ULEZ, but if you have a personal number plate on your EV, check it on their checker site as their database can be very out of date.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
To receive a CC exemption there is a £10 annual administration fee. I don't think you need to register for ULEZ exemption
That isn't exemption though, is it? It is a £10 fee for the year - which might be more expensive than just paying the CC for some of use who visit infrequently.

I see this as a cynical trick. It would have been quite easy to check the plate and look up the vehicle and check it is an EV with no charge of any kind. Instead they put us in a position where some people will get a penalty charge for not understanding this.

·
Registered
56 Posts
A daily CC charge is £11.50 so enter at least once a year then it is worthwhile to register. I imagine it is deliberately made difficult to reduce traffic into central London so that only those who can be bothered apply for the exemption. Details are pretty clear on the website.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I suspect the CC admin charge is due to outdated systems which can't handle doing an automatic lookup of vehicle info.
Surely they'd use the same camera network & computer system as for the ULEZ scheme !

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I suspect the CC admin charge is due to outdated systems which can't handle doing an automatic lookup of vehicle info.
I believe TfL decided it was just more cost effective to maintain a (relatively small) database of exempt vehicles, including EVs amongst others, than it was to pay DVLA for the extra level of detail for that minority of cases.

The ULEZ system does, as I understand it, use the same ANPR as the CC, and goes by the year of registration of the vehicle, and not its actual emissions rating, on the assumption that it's broadly going to be right.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I believe TfL decided it was just more cost effective to maintain a (relatively small) database of exempt vehicles, including EVs amongst others, than it was to pay DVLA for the extra level of detail for that minority of cases.

The ULEZ system does, as I understand it, use the same ANPR as the CC, and goes by the year of registration of the vehicle, and not its actual emissions rating, on the assumption that it's broadly going to be right.
Do the years match for the emissions ratings of petrol and diesel ? Seems a bit hit & miss, unless that is just used as an initial filter.
The stupid thing is that they don't (or at least didn't) re-check the vehicle emissions details when they access the DVLA data for sending out penalties, hence I received a PCN with "Kona EV" printed on it as I had a personalised plate. (and I was registered for the CC exemption at the time, which also suggests the two systems don't talk to each other)

·
Registered
34 Posts
For petrol cars, the ULEZ required minimum standard is Euro 4, which was introduced in 2005. Most UK registered cars from 2006 onwards will comply with this standard.
The Euro 4 emission requirements are:

CO 1.0
THC 0.10
NOx 0.08

or less.

The ULEZ compliance focuses on the NOx level only. Any car that has NOx of < 0.08 will be OK.

Paragraph "V" of Section 4 ( Vehicle Details ) of the V5C Registration Certificate lists the exhaust emissions of the vehicle. I have a Sept. 2001 vehicle, which would be non-compliant based on year of registration. However, thanks to it's 16-valve DOHC engine it manages to achieve:

CO 0.212
HC 0.040
NOx 0.066

With the NOx figure being less than 0.08, this confirms that the ULEZ Checker is telling the truth when it says my car is "OK".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts