Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On another thread @Kevin Sharpe suggested that it might be fun to have a London Edinburgh London Challenge event.

This challenge (best not call it a race as racing is not permitted on the UK roads ;) ) would be a challenge for EVs of different types to get from London to Edinburgh and back using publicly accessible charging infrastructure.

At the moment this is only an idea and we have not discussed any aspects of it and so that is what I thought we could do here.

Let's discuss:
  • London-Edinburgh-London is not cast in stone. Would one way only be better?
  • Would another destination be a better choice than Edinburgh?
  • If both ways would it be continuous or with overnight stops? Continuous would require multiple drivers per car.
  • What would the ground rules be for such a challenge?
  • When should such a challenge take place?
  • Should this be an open event or limited to invited participants only?
Obviously these are just some of the questions that come immediately to mind to me so don't limit the discussion to just those points... if you have a comment then please chime in :)

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
London to Edinburgh has been done, why not approach nissan to see if someone can do London to Rome or somewhere that really pushes the boundaries

Remember the moon landings, once its been done no one in the press is interested anymore

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
London to Edinburgh has been done, why not approach nissan to see if someone can do London to Rome or somewhere that really pushes the boundaries.
A trip of this length would be almost impossible for a short range car like a Leaf and IMO meaningless to the media. Long range trips are going on all the time with Tesla Roadsters and Model S, and we have lots European events this year;

http://www.e-rallye.com

If you fancy a real challenge then we have the round the world trip in 2016;

http://www.80edays.com

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't be involved in anything European. Sorry :( Too expensive and I can't imagine how a Leaf with 80 mile range would manage it. I wouldn't want to try tbh.

I think it should be affordable and fun for participants and followers alike.

I could imagine this becoming an annual event so I would prefer to see it as something affordable and relatively easy to organise.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
if you have a comment then please chime in :)
I like the idea of London to Edinburgh and back with an overnight stay in Edinburgh. While it's possible to drive ~24 hours it's not really safe and probably uninsurable. I would suggest a summer event to allow Leaf Gen 1 and 1.5 to compete directly and because it would be a much nicer event. I'm sure we could persuade ZeroNet locations to host the overnight stays and provide charging.

The Tesla Roadster, i3, Leaf, and ZOE are well matched and we could probably run them at the same time with a restriction that the Tesla can't use any charging locations in the first 100 miles to give the 'shorter' range cars priority at the first location. Beyond that it would be a charging free for all. We could have staged starts every 30 minutes to accommodate up to 24 cars if we have a 4 hour start window.

All cars would be standard without charger, battery or drivetrain upgrades. We could have a 'funny' class where modified cars and conversions compete. Clearly the Model S would be out in a class of its own (unless I can get my VW conversion to tow a trailer full of batteries).

An annual event would allow us to track EV and infrastructure progress overtime and allow the media to plan.

London and Edinburgh are both iconic capitals and IMO the perfect distance apart for showing the ICE community what's possible.

For me fun is the most important ingredient... the WAVE Trophy is the model we want to follow IMO.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the suggestions of @Kevin Sharpe

I like London and Edinburgh and back over two days and the stop overnight might be a great opportunity to have a social event in Edinburgh. Who knows... if Scotland votes for independence it might be an international event!

I like an open event and up to 24 cars would be great.

Tesla not to charge in 1st 100 miles - good.

I like the idea of all cars having Glympse active WITH speed display ON. The purpose is to drive legally and safely and to have fun so we need to be visibly within the law and it would make it fair across the ball if everyone's speed was visible... and more fun for the followers.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,499 Posts
London to Edinburgh is good, Lands End to John o'Groats is better but then would involve queuing at chargers , public or otherwise and might involve a lot of canny driving.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
London to Edinburgh is good, Lands End to John o'Groats is better but then would involve queuing at chargers , public or otherwise and might involve a lot of canny driving.
I'm happy to repeat End to End but I do not believe it's possible for the shorter range cars like the Leaf unless you have weeks to spare charging at 10A/16A. Personally I would like something that everyone can participate in :)

·
Banned
558 Posts
Anything proposed in UK is unlikely to fire-up the public imagination. Lets face it every possible route has already been done by car, bicycle, on foot - or by pogo-stick for all I know.
Going to Europe is problematic - but only because of current infrastructure uncertainties. If you want to 'Wow' people with what an mass-market EV can do we really need to think foreign. People will not be that impressed by an EV passing Wolverhampton, Carlisle or Motherwell - but the will be 'uplifted' that they can get to Copenhagen, Amsterdam and Paris! The additional cost may not be excessive - especially if some 'deal' is done with the Ferry Company (new market sector?). Beside the need to be mutually supportive will ensure that participants have a truly great time - solving team problems and generally bonding!
How about Berlin - via Copenhagen and return by Brussels?
Paul Revere knew what to say "The British are Coming" - for those in the know he is also is quoted as saying 'One if by Land - two ..........". (You finish it?)

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
My suggestion is that we 'race' from Marble Arch to Edinburgh Castle and the target to beat is 13 hours 48 minutes.

@dpeilow has suggested that a Leaf time of 11 hours is achievable which gives plenty scope for competition between Gen 1 and Gen 1.5 models.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
@dpeilow recent work has shown that the Tesla Roadster and Leaf are well matched for a London to Edinburgh rally.
London_Edinburgh_Comparison.PNG

What I like about this as an idea is that charging strategy and routes would be critical to success not just car capabilities. I also think that a ~12 hour 'race' is more than enough for most people so maybe London to Edinburgh and then a few days touring Scotland :)

I'm sure a bunch of Tesla drivers from Europe would be interested if we gave them enough notice, so maybe late summer?

The biggest issue for me is the poor reliability of the AC on the dual/triple headed rapid chargers. I would need to ensure that these issues are resolved so that the Roadsters have plenty charging choice. A few HPCs would create a bottle neck which would be no fun.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
bottle necks could be removed by staggering start times, that way the race is against the clock not each other (directly) and less chance of accidents and police involvement :)

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
bottle necks could be removed by staggering start times, that way the race is against the clock not each other (directly) and less chance of accidents and police involvement :)
I completely agree... I was thinking that a Roadster and Leaf could leave at the same time for 'excitement' but the Roadster couldn't charge for 100 miles so breaking up charging. We could also have Leaf/Roadster leave every 15 minutes.

I think this would be a real challenge using the live charging network with lots cars... reliability and congestion could be significant factors... one strategy would be to take a longer but less congested route :)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I really love this idea and I would like us to develop the concept further.

The more we talk about it the more interesting it looks... and the more fun which for me is what it is really all about. Yes, we all want good PR, but these are just cars so we should not treat them with reverence and just enjoy owning and driving them.

If we have fun and the world sees that then the good PR will follow without us needed to force it and that is a much better way to do it IMO :)

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
The Roadster time above is using the Nottingham and Durham HPCs.

A second Roadster could leave at the same time and use the Stafford and Tebay HPCs.

LEAFs could leave together and inteleave charging spots all the way to Edinburgh (splitting up for the A68 and A1 at Darlington). In the near future a similar strategy could work on the M6 route.

·
Registered
193 Posts
How about a race of an EV vs an ICE. The twist being the ICE car can only use the equivalent amount of fuel per day that the EV uses in equivalent KWh? I saw on a post that the London - Edinburgh trip used 121kWh and to make the fuel for this trip would of used 122 kWh alone. If someone could work out the total energy use for the trip 'well to wheel' and compare this to our current energy mix in uk to highlight just how efficient the evs are? Would this work?

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Would this work?
I think the biggest challenge would be agreeing a standard measurement for the well to wheels oil energy content and the same for the electricity. The RAC tried to do this for the hybrids in the Brighton to London event but it never gained any media traction or even agreement amongst the competitors.

IMO we should just have fun competing against each other and market that aspect of the event :)

As a separate endeavour I think a Model S should drive the route in ~8 hours today and then beat that time with a Supercharger... The combination of an ICE journey time and 'free' fuel is a huge marketing opportunity for EVs.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts