Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My Niro (hopefully) will arrive by the 15th of September. Three days later I have a trip planned to Manchester, with the journey from London taking approx 203 miles (according to Waze).

With the majority of the journey being at motorway speeds (or slightly above) will I make it in one charge?

Cheers!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hi guys,

My Niro (hopefully) will arrive by the 15th of September. Three days later I have a trip planned to Manchester, with the journey from London taking approx 203 miles (according to Waze).

With the majority of the journey being at motorway speeds (or slightly above) will I make it in one charge?

Cheers!
I think you will have little difficulty - at least in summer or autumn temperatures. In the You Tube video testing a number of electric cars up the motorway the e-Niro achieved just over 250 miles. Of course the faster you go the less miles you will achieve.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,515 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
While I haven't had my E-Niro 4 long, I would say this should be no problem. The only way it could be a problem would be if you plan to drive at 85MPH on the motorway. But if you stick to 70MPG I would think you'll do the 200 miles comfortably. You could start cautiously speed wise and as you get closer to Manchester and the remaining range easily exceeds your remaining miles, then the potential to speed up (subject to M6 traffic which might well enforce a slow speed anyway!), is there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I picked up my e-Soul in Shrewsbury and drove back (all motorway) at around 70 mph (and possibly a bit) - 170 miles - had 25% (showing about 60 miles) left.
Key point is to make sure they fully charge it !

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,008 Posts
Hi guys,

Cheers!
Have you sorted out destination charging?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Charge to 100%, then you will need to do slightly better than 2 miles per 1% of the battery, so have a back up charger planned for about 3/4 of the way through the journey and see if you need to use it, and also make sure you can charge when you get there.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
You've got more chance of driving 200 miles than your Niro arriving by the 15th September :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You've got more chance of driving 200 miles than your Niro arriving by the 15th September :ROFLMAO:
Ah really? This is what my dealer quoted me when he put my order through third week of August and again when I asked for an update last week. Do you think it’s untenable?

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,008 Posts
Ah really? This is what my dealer quoted me when he put my order through third week of August and again when I asked for an update last week. Do you think it’s untenable?
Tell your dealer that you have a trip planned and as soon as he sees the delivery date slipping (if it does) then to let you know.

Reactions: dan3191

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've had no trouble doing Woodbridge to Reigate return on one charge (220+m dual carriageway and motorway) even in winter

·
Registered
199 Posts
Journey should be fine, but have you got destination charging sorted out? If not it might be an idea to stop at a motorway service station for a rapid charge (CCS) for 40 min while you get a coffee. Sometimes its easier to do that than to faff about at the destination looking for a charger.

i.e. sometimes its better to arrive at your destination with a good amount of charge left even if you could potentially have done the journey without stopping.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
You may have a good dealer, fingers crossed it‘s a confirmed date for you 👍 Kia have been a bit of a disaster when it comes to delivery dates. Hope they come through 🤞

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you haven’t already, have a play with A Better Routeplanner and see what it can do. Highly recommended
I've just had a look at this. On face value it looks good but seems to give some bizarre results. Eg a 201 mile trip up the M6 including a 15 minute CCS recharge at Haydock Shell and it tells me that I will arrive with only 10% remaining.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I've just had a look at this. On face value it looks good but seems to give some bizarre results. Eg a 201 mile trip up the M6 including a 15 minute CCS recharge at Haydock Shell and it tells me that I will arrive with only 10% remaining.
The results may not be bizarre - it works from the expected miles/kWh (which is a user variable), the travelling speed (user variable) and also the required % SOC on arrival - again a user variable. Plus other user variables such as headwinds, wet or dry conditions.
If you play with these variables you'll see different suggested charging scenarios, and arrival SOC.

·
Registered
43 Posts
We drove from London to Chester last week in our 4 and arrived with 65 miles on the clock. We were visiting a friend with their own home charger so we weren't worried. London to Manchester should be fine and ZapMap will show you the Manchester chargers. Though rosinchard makes a good point about the convenience of arriving with a lot of charge and using a motorway fast charger.

I hope your car arrives on time and I hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
We drove from London to Chester last week in our 4 and arrived with 65 miles on the clock. We were visiting a friend with their own home charger so we weren't worried. London to Manchester should be fine and ZapMap will show you the Manchester chargers. Though rosinchard makes a good point about the convenience of arriving with a lot of charge and using a motorway fast charger.

I hope your car arrives on time and I hope you enjoy it.
I just did Warwickshire to Manchester and back. 210 mile round trip. While in Manchester I added 20 miles of range from a pod point just to be on the safe side but I needn't have bothered. I got back with 55 miles to spare. Minus the 20 that means I would have managed 245 on a single charge. Note this was me driving in normal mode at 80 miles per hour when I could with the occasional 90+ mph while I was putting the car through its paces. Driving sensibly will no doubt give you far more than 245 mile range on a single charge.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts