Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've found this to be a great forum to read in the run up to getting my first EV.

I need a charger that meets the following -

1. located about 10m from the fuseboard
2. has a 15/20m long type 2 cable
3. is tethered
4. isn't too costly - as I'm moving house in 6 months!

Can anyone offer any advise as to the best route to achieve this?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apologies - should have said, it's not feasible to get the car any closer to the house, without installing a new driveway etc

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,459 Posts
You could buy the cable and connector to make a longer cable and replace the standard one supplied with the charger.
How easy is it to get the cable from the consumer unit to where a charger can be installed? I.e is it indoor or outdoor, does cable need to be in the ground or run along a wall or fence?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi,

I had the same problem (Loooong way from the fuse board), the only place I could find that included 15m of cabling in the price was Pod Point, everyone else refused to give a price without inspecting the property.

Think you might be out of luck with getting a tethered 15 meter cable though, you can always do what I've done and leave the cable in and padlock it to the outside wall of the house.

Not sure about it passing the "not too costly" requirement though :eek:

·
Registered
284 Posts
can’t you mount the charger to a post in the driveway rather than on a house wall so you can have it within normal reach of the car?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Your moving house in 6 months, can you not make do with a granny charger and decent heavy duty extension cable for those months?

Admittedly I don’t know what car or mileage each day you will be covering, but it might be an easier (definitely cheaper) solution for now.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
469 Posts
You could use an Ohme charger with a Commando plug and have a heavy duty Commando extension to a Commando socket near the fuse board? You can take the Ohme kit with you when you move. Ohme can be downrated to 3.6 kWh too if need be.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
157 Posts
You could use an Ohme charger with a Commando plug and have a heavy duty Commando extension to a Commando socket near the fuse board? You can take the Ohme kit with you when you move. Ohme can be downrated to 3.6 kWh too if need be.
That was pretty much my suggestion... the commando plug gives the 32amps and can still be separated with a matte giving the protection. Then a long heavy duty commando extension lead rated at 32A. Then just plug in an ohme commando. And you can move the cable and ohme to the new place, so have the selling point of high power output for an ev charge point when you sell.

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
157 Posts

that's only a 16amp cable... you really should go for 32A OR you need to make sure the ohme doesnt draw too much current.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts