Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this mean it now gets the 82kWh battery pack? Other stats remain the same.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Teslas website is quoting 389 miles WLTP with the 18" aeros.

·
Premium Member
11,943 Posts
Sounds likely and good news (y)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Quite good that we see these improvements but they need to advertise real world range.By real-world, I mean all year averaged, all weather range for a particular region with heater or AC on, and not light footed driving. The quoted WLTP range is worse than EPA to achieve but neither represent real-world range. Other manufacturers are worse. Tesla have the opportunity to be really different from the competition but so far they have not made use of that.

When EM came on stage march 2016 and said that with model 3, the range they quote will not require driving like a granny, that was a major differentiator.
However, maybe due to pressure from competition, they keep quoting WLTP knowing very well that it is meaningless.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Isn’t it the case that they are mandated to quote WLTP in order to be allowed to sell their vehicles?

It may not be perfect but at least it’s a level playing field.

How would it be possible to quote different figures for different places and at different times of the year? It wouldn’t be any more accurate though because there are so many other variables eg terrain, weight of passengers and amount of junk/luggage carried, how windy or wet it is etc. the list goes on.

Put two cars side by side however, one with a WLTP of 380 miles, the other with 280 and you know immediately which one is going to have the greater real world range.

·
Registered
221 Posts
> How would it be possible to quote different figures for different places and at different times of the year?
Just averaged for UK.

> Isn’t it the case that they are mandated to quote WLTP in order to be allowed to sell their vehicles?
They can quote an averaged figure that they can own up to rather than hide behind WLTP which is what others do.
Telsa thrives on doing the right thing and IMO, the right thing is to say WLTP is x but we think on average y is what real world range will be.

·
Premium Member
11,943 Posts
They can quote an averaged figure that they can own up to rather than hide behind WLTP which is what others do.
Telsa thrives on doing the right thing and IMO, the right thing is to say WLTP is x but we think on average y is what real world range will be.
Whatever "real world" number they gave someone would come along and say "I didn't get that driving at 90MPH".

I guess they could do a range calculator, similar to Renault for Zoe but even that doesn't account for terrain, wind, rain, etc. In the Zoe case it also seems a bit pessimistic, perhaps for those reasons?

·
Registered
214 Posts
We are currently get 3.5m kwh form our 75kw 2021 LR with 19" Sport Wheels. I expect 4.5-5 miles in Summer. In the UK at least, the heat pump is amazing.
Just to say, same car, we are getting over 4m/kWh consistently, even in the cold weather. Did > 200 miles on the weekend including a round trip to Southampton from London at normal motorway speeds, with an average of 4.4m. Pretty neat.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Just to say, same car, we are getting over 4m/kWh consistently, even in the cold weather. Did > 200 miles on the weekend including a round trip to Southampton from London at normal motorway speeds, with an average of 4.4m. Pretty neat.
Just over our 6 weeks old now, still in the "drive it like you stole it" phase as our 1st car with high end sports / supercar speeds . But 90% of all charging is done at the wife's work for free on her 80 mile daily round trip to work. Even only charging to 80% daily she always arrives home with 250+ miles of range.

Plenty to start an emergency trip to Scotland overnight to see relatives on deaths door that neither of us have! Although not towing a caravan. If you get my drift.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wonder if it's the free charging that makes us a bit less likely to "try" to drive it efficiently?!

Mines just rolled past 10 months old and lifetime stats are 239wh/mi. I'm more than pleased with that.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I wonder if it's the free charging that makes us a bit less likely to "try" to drive it efficiently?!

Mines just rolled past 10 months old and lifetime stats are 239wh/mi. I'm more than pleased with that.
We would on a long journey either involving supercharger / rapid use or to be able to get home within one charge. But Local driving evenings / weekends, no, we just enjoy the car. might change when the Model Y arrives, although i suspect we may "swap" cars at least once a week so even the least used Tesla gets a free charge close to the weekend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts