Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

2014 Leaf 24kwh acenta, 12 bars.

I’ve gone to a Polar/Pulse 50kwh Rapid to get some juice. I’m charging on a dry day, roughly 10 degrees outside temperature. Starting SOC ~20%.

After 38 minutes the leaf had gathered 11.4kw which to my calculation is an average of 18kw/h.

Charging is taking far longer than the ‘advertised’ 30 mins (20% to 80%). Is this the actual reality of rapid Charing or is there something else going on?

Any advice gratefully received.

Tim

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,379 Posts
So you went from 20% to 70% in 38 minutes. On a cold day, and presumably with a cold battery at the start. Not entirely unexpected tbh.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you went from 20% to 70% in 38 minutes. On a cold day, and presumably with a cold battery at the start. Not entirely unexpected tbh.
yes 20% to 70%. So 10 degrees is still ‘cold’ for a battery? Does that mean that come temperatures of around 20 degrees I should see charge rates more in line with 0% to 80% in 30 mins?

I’m a new leaf owner and only owned it in winter!
Thanks

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
What did you do? Did you just drive down the road to a local rapid charger maybe a mile away? Or had you been on a long distance journey? You need the battery pack to be warm for your car to charge rapidly. If you only have a bar or two showing on the temperature gague it's probably not going to be full speed. It's 3+ before you start getting good speeds.

Also the Polar Ultracharge units, assuming that's what you used kinda suck. It's not uncommon for them to work slowly. You should try finding another charger to rule out that being an issue.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,472 Posts
Sadly you'll rarely see much more than that on a LEAF24, and less when it's cold or the battery degrades. Fastned do quote much higher figures than I ever saw. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Another, more remote possibility, is that the charger was faulty. A Polar unit I used to use several years ago at the Holiday Inn just north of J9 of the M1 had a period over a couple of months of only pumping out at less than half what it should be.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine does really like to be warm before it's charged, but will still do the 20-80 way faster than that even in the cold and I've lost one bar.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What did you do? Did you just drive down the road to a local rapid charger maybe a mile away? Or had you been on a long distance journey? You need the battery pack to be warm for your car to charge rapidly. If you only have a bar or two showing on the temperature gague it's probably not going to be full speed. It's 3+ before you start getting good speeds.

Also the Polar Ultracharge units, assuming that's what you used kinda suck. It's not uncommon for them to work slowly. You should try finding another charger to rule out that being an issue.
yes! the rapid was just down the road. I guess I had thought that the charger/charging would warm them up! The power lead always has a bit heat in it when you pull the thing out.

Thank you I’ll have another go when the batteries are warmer

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another, more remote possibility, is that the charger was faulty. A Polar unit I used to use several years ago at the Holiday Inn just north of J9 of the M1 had a period over a couple of months of only pumping out at less than half what it should be.
I guess this is a possibility. I’ll do what another person said also and try another charger before panicking

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I experienced some chargers that were just slow, like you experienced. However, I also easily matched fastned's figures on many occasions with the 24.

In fact, I once really optimised my charge rates on a 150 mile journey in the leaf 24 and only spent 21 minutes charging on the journey. It can be done.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
yes 20% to 70%. So 10 degrees is still ‘cold’ for a battery? Does that mean that come temperatures of around 20 degrees I should see charge rates more in line with 0% to 80% in 30 mins?
Yes, charging is definitely faster with a warm battery (5 bars + on the temperature gauge). My experience is that on long distance journeys (having started from home with 100% charge) the first Rapid charge is slower than any subsequent Rapid charges, so I would expect very slow charging on a Rapid if just going down the road from home, with your Leaf having stood overnight in cold weather.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, charging is definitely faster with a warm battery (5 bars + on the temperature gauge). My experience is that on long distance journeys (having started from home with 100% charge) the first Rapid charge is slower than any subsequent Rapid charges, so I would expect very slow charging on a Rapid if just going down the road from home, with your Leaf having stood overnight in cold weather.
5bars also. Thank you for this insight

1 - 12 of 12 Posts