Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to fly from Gatwick later this month and would like to use my eGolf and have it charged while I am away.
I found one meet and greet company but there were dire warnings about that company from someone who had suffered lot of bodywork damage.
I see that there are charging points in some of the car parks but that is. really for people meeting flights and talking a 'top-up'.
Has anybody found a long term parking facility wit charging points eve a mains connection. I would just like get back to a fully charged motor on my return.
Any thoughts??

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,648 Posts
Leaving the car plugged in at 100% for an extended time is likely to cause degradation of the battery. We have charged at services and left the car at airport parking at about 60%, recommended not to leave an EV at a high percentage for an extended period, and then charged back up at services on the way back. As for meet and greet services I would never trust any of them.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Park your car up with at least 20% charge but at most 80% - enjoy your trip...
Come back, rapid charge for 40 minutes at the nearby Holiday Inn Polar Ultracharger, or at one of the many chargers in Crawley/Reigate (depending on the route you take).

·
Registered
183 Posts
Leaving the car plugged in at 100% for an extended time is likely to cause degradation of the battery. We have charged at services and left the car at airport parking at about 60%, recommended not to leave an EV at a high percentage for an extended period,
Doesn't an EV have any kind of intelligent management for this kind of scenario? I'd be surprised if not.

·
Registered
17,446 Posts
Doesn't an EV have any kind of intelligent management for this kind of scenario? I'd be surprised if not.
Yes. It’s called an upper buffer.

The only car I know that doesn’t like being left at 100% charge is a Tesla and it will nag you not to do it.

The rest of them won’t suffer noticeable degradation. Of course if you want to be ultra cautious and it doesn’t affect your daily usage, leave the SOC at somewhere between 20%-80%.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts