Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I am a newbie, in the process of buying my first electric car. I have been reading your forum for a few weeks, trying to learn and understand the ins an outs of owning an e-car.
One question that worries me a little, and for which I have not found an answer is :
What happens to the battery charge if I leave my car in a long-stay car park at the airport, for 1 week or even 3 weeks?
I saw comments that it is important not to leave the car 100% charged for a long time, and the same for 10-20% charge. What is "a long time" ? A couple of days? A couple of weeks?
I am guessing that for airport parking I should make sure the battery is 50-80% charge. After 3 weeks, will I need to rush to charge it before driving home?
TIA,
Steve

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Steve
Welcome!
In terms of the traction battery it will be fine. Some EVs have vampire drains such as a Tesla M3 in Sentry mode where they'll lose up to 1% a day at most, but left at say 80% it'll still be at 60% after 3 weeks.
In common with other modern cars but to a lesser extent the 12v will run down, but unlike ICE most modern EVs will recharge it automatically.
So in summary it is less likely to be a problem than an ICE. Next time you go to a long term airport carpark look at the issue with JLR ICEs. :eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. That sort of figure is quite acceptable. I live about 50 miles from Heathrow, so the return trip home should not required recharging. (looking at e-208 and zoe for the moment)
Steve.

·
Registered
17,463 Posts
Thanks for the information. That sort of figure is quite acceptable. I live about 50 miles from Heathrow, so the return trip home should not required recharging. (looking at e-208 and zoe for the moment)
Steve.
You won't have a problem with either of those. In some cases the SOC can go up after you've left it parked.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
An increasing number of parking firms have fast charging points and will stick it on charge for when you are due home for a reasonable fee so that you can be fully charged to go home. You risk the car being left at a high SoC if you are significantly delayed but that's no big issue in the scheme of things.

·
Premium Member
11,317 Posts
In Ampera I got Gatwick valet to charge, but didn't with Zoe as charging flap is a bit fragile and had visions of them breaking. We used 22kW post at Gatwick short stay to top up (to around 90%) and then drove to valet section. We were away over 3 weeks and all was fine on returning. The car stopped reporting charge level after about a week, probably to preserve 12V battery.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
The car stopped reporting charge level after about a week, probably to preserve 12V battery.
I forgot that. Ditto with the LEAF but I got a text when it was moved (presumably to be charged) which was reassuring even if meaningless (it could equally have been twoc'd, but who'd steal a LEAF24 given the choice of other cars - unlike a previous Subaru that went for a Saturday night out before fortunately returning).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts