Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Charge point installer has just informed me that

a 15 meter charging cable would be unreliable (work some times, and not others)

I'd welcome thoughts from the collective wisdom of the great and the good here.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,353 Posts
I think that's BS. A good quality cable will have less (not more) resistance. I have 10m untethered cable and it works fine whenever I use it

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Dave

I did wonder why that would be true given you can buy significantly longer than 15 metres from well known reputable vendors.

Edit: perhaps it is only unreliable with his particular brand of charger. Rolec 32a.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Cheers Dave

I did wonder why that would be true given you can buy significantly longer than 15 metres from well known reputable vendors.
I think OLEV grant covers 10m wiring and 10m tether. They probably want to keep things simple

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might be right. I suspect they just dont want the awkward work. Reduce the tethered length increase the wiring pretty much metre for metre.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I guess there could be some truth in it. The EVSE puts out a 1khz signal. Connect that to a big enough capacitor, and you will short circuit it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
A Charge point installer has just informed me that

a 15 meter charging cable would be unreliable (work some times, and not others)

I'd welcome thoughts from the collective wisdom of the great and the good here.
An extra 5 meters? Not a lot with the run you are talking about. As long as they use good-quality low-resistance (not high resistance as another poster here said) copper cable in the run it should make negligible difference. On longer runs, several factors come into play, depending on the frequency of the signal, standing waves can occur which will affect transmission. There are lots of factors that affect it, the connector type and quality, how the connectors are affixed to the cable, all sorts of esoteric stuff that is hard to get your head around, but for all practical purposes 5 mtrs is neither here nor there.
Cheers, Tony.

Reactions: Scorzon

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers Tony, I'm fairly sure this installer is trying to avoid a non standard non easy peasy job.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Cheers Tony, I'm fairly sure this installer is trying to avoid a non standard non easy peasy job.
Why not just go for untethered install and get a long cable? I know it's cheaper though.

If you have Octopus, I'd recommend Ohme EV. If you have Solar PV, Zappi is good too.

If you don't have Octopus, get it. You can use my code though its not a big deal

·
Registered
425 Posts
Dave is right, go for untethered, gives you much greater flexibility.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was originally thinking that but suspect that I won't get the grant if I do. Will see what he says. I'm definitely going for the Octopus Tariff. Dave I'm PMing you. Cheers all.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Should make no difference to the grant, mine is untethered and there were no issues.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Should make no difference to the grant, mine is untethered and there were no issues.
Same here.
Mine is untethered and was done on OLEV.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I was originally thinking that but suspect that I won't get the grant if I do. Will see what he says. I'm definitely going for the Octopus Tariff. Dave I'm PMing you. Cheers all.
Just sign up with the link

When you sign up we both get £50.
Good thing though my electricity costs have dropped. I'm doing 6.5p/kWh at the moment.

I also swapped Nissan cable for Ohme and it schedules charge at cheapest time.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think it is the distance from back of garage to parking space that might cause an issue, hopefully not Tony.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just sign up with the link

When you sign up we both get £50.
Good thing though my electricity costs have dropped. I'm doing 6.5p/kWh at the moment.

I also swapped Nissan cable for Ohme and it schedules charge at cheapest time.

Cheers Dave, did it require a specific charge point make and model and aren't they quite pricey?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts