Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Were planning a 2 month trip in September, I was considering driving the Kona and parking it but
I'm not sure if it will actually survive so long without charging?
Will I even be able to start it afterwards?
Anyone has experience with something like this and has tips?
I might just park it at home and keep it charged for the whole period, set it to like 60% or something and use another car.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
120 Posts
I don't see any reason why the batteries would not last parked up & not plugged in, but I haven't tried it. How about asking your Hyundai dealer what the charge level is of the new electric cars they receive having spent several weeks in a boat.

Reactions: gladini

·
Registered
Kona 64
737 Posts
As your 12v battery is out of its 2 year warranty I would probably use the smart charger which should keep the battery healthy.
Others who have left their Kona for long periods have reported no or minimal loss of charge in the HV battery.

·
Registered
EU base model with heat pump Sept '18
603 Posts
... i got a little battery emergency starter just incase the 12v dies but i can also leave it plugged into a smart charger
It isn't really a matter of the traction battery surviving, only the 12V battery, so having the booster is good. Leaving the car plugged in is not going to help the 12V battery. The number one preventative cure IMO is to be absolutely certain the hatch cover is not left ajar.

I monitored my Kona carefully while parked over 5 weeks of lockdown, left unplugged, and saw no issues at all.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Before you leave the car, I would make sure the conditioner is switching on for 20 minutes every 4 hours or so.
What is the conditioner and how do I set its timing?

Shouldn't the main battery be charging my 12V every so often to make sure it doesn't die? I know it does right now I see the yellow light turn on every so often.
would this empty out my main battery over a 2 month period?

·
Registered
EU base model with heat pump Sept '18
603 Posts
What is the conditioner and how do I set its timing? Shouldn't the main battery be charging my 12V every so often to make sure it doesn't die? I know it does right now I see the yellow light turn on every so often.
There is no setting and as you've assumed it's automatic.

What's happened in a few cases however is that owners have damaged their 12V batteries accidentally and then the automatic schedule's 20 minutes @ 4 hours is insufficient to bring it back to life.
Would this empty out my main battery over a 2 month period?
It seems impossible from my experiences and measurements.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts