Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have to make this trip in a day. Prefer to use the eNiro (all electric), but at 540 miles, previous experience of the reliability of mway charging has us a bit nervous. We get about 220 out of the Kia at mway speeds.

Zapmap planner with a healthy buffer of every 150 miles has a 4 stop plan. But two of those a 7kw points not at mway services.

Anyone done something like this on the M5/M6/Stirling/Aberdeen route? Any thoughts?

We absolutely cannot get stuck. Thiis is a medical trip.

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,157 Posts
Don't use the Zap Map planner. Instead use the ABRP Website/App. It's much better for this purpose.

I used to do long distance trips up and down the UK in an EV just fine in a car with half the battery capacity you have. You'll be fine as long as you plan well.

Plan to stop at motorway services that have Ecotricity CCS (preferably more than one per location, so look for the bigger service stations) and then make your plan B for charging nearby, be that Ionity/BP Chargemaster/Shell Recharge also at the service station, or something like an Instavolt/Osprey just a short distance from the motorway junction.

Even if you pick something along the lines of Plan A Ecotricity, Plan B Chargemaster, always have a plan C for something like Instavolt or Engenie/Osprey nearby. They aren't on the motorways, but typically aren't far away. These two brands typically always have more than one charger per location, are simple to use with a credit card payment, and very reliable.

Once you cross into Scotland the CPS network can be a bit patchy in places. If you have a CPS/CYC Card remember to bring it with you. Otherwise pay close attention to recent Zap Map feedback if you will be stopping at a Chargeplace Scotland charger, especially if there is only one of them at the location.

Never let yourself go down too far below 20% charge to give you that buffer to get to another charger should the worst happen. Other than that you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Sadly there is no way to guarantee you will not have problems. Hire a car and have a stress free journey.
But two of those a 7kw points not at mway services.
That would not be my choice for charging on long distance trips how many hours are you prepared to spend charging ?

Reactions: EdH

·
Registered
139 Posts
When you are around Scotland look at: Stephens Bakery, almost all of the locations now have Polar Charging units. All of them have contactless payment option and are charging £0.25 p per kW. Fast chargers (Type 2 43kW, CCS 50kW) and usually not a single car on site (it is a bakery chain after all)
Around Dunfermline they have a lot of them. It is not a big detour from Preston/Stirling/Aberdeen VS Preston/Dunfermline/ Aberdeen

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
672 Posts
I'd use ABRP and ZapMap together. There are a number of choice charging locations on the route, with multiple chargers and reliability, and the trick is to find them. I would:

• As a starter, use ABPR to find roughly where to stop. I don't find it gives the best locations automatically, though they would do. For your journey it's suggesting somewhere around Birmingham, Sandbach, Lancaster, Preston, Carlisle and Queensferry. (15% to 80% charging.) However, I'd probably go further west via Stirling instead.
  • Then set up ZapMap to filter for rapid chargers, your chosen networks (I go for Osprey, Polar, Instavolt, Geniepoint, Ionity and Shell Recharge) and select Contactless under Payment. I do have a Polar (BP) account and it's cheaper using it, but if there's no signal I can still charge with contactless. I'd add Charge Place Scotland for this trip, but would need to check current account / payment requirements.
  • Unfortunately, neither planner lets you filter on the number of charge heads at a location. So I go along the route and touch charger locations close to the route in ZapMap, starting from the locations suggested by ABPR and my experience. ZapMap shows the network and number of heads when you touch a location (as does ABPR). [I don't find the filtering as easy to use on ABPR.] I'm wanting to find locations with as many heads as possible to minimise the risk of blocking or failure.
  • In this case, there are:
    • An Instavolt charger with 4 heads at Astle Retail Park in West Bromwich. (Not on ABPR for some reason!)
    • A Polar charger with only 1 CCS head at the Coop at Sandbach. If this is occupied or not working you have range to get as far as Preston, where there are 6 Instavolt chargers over two locations.
    • 6 Polar chargers at Lancaster Park and Ride.
    • Around Carlisle there is a single head Polar or you could press on to the Ionity charger at Gretna Green (and use Ecotricity instead if its working).
    • An instavolt charger with 2 heads at Bellshill. (But other options in the central belt - mainly single head CPS).
  • You can then, if you want, go back into ABRP and add those chargers to your route, to get a tentative Plan A.
  • For Plan B and C I'd know that there are the Ecotricity chargers at service stations and note down a couple of other alternatives 20 miles each side of the above targets (as for the second location above.)
You end up with a plan A and about 10 targets for the route that you can choose from as you go.

ABPR says you only need to charge to 60% for the above, except for at Bellshill where you need more (you could note a stop in Perth or Dundee). There's plenty scope for longer legs if you want. I'd tend to charge to 70% or 80% instead and take a decision on the fly to press on to later options when it felt right.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you are around Scotland look at: Stephens Bakery, almost all of the locations now have Polar Charging units. All of them have contactless payment option and are charging £0.25 p per kW. Fast chargers (Type 2 43kW, CCS 50kW) and usually not a single car on site (it is a bakery chain after all)
Around Dunfermline they have a lot of them. It is not a big detour from Preston/Stirling/Aberdeen VS Preston/Dunfermline/ Aberdeen
And it's a bakery, this is good. thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi everyone.

Thanks - I will look at ABPR.

Google tells me this is 10hr30min journey, but that assumes 5 mins for refuelling. I'm expecting 90 min recharge time if I can get CCS charging. BUt over 540 miles, that's probably sensible anyway.

Will think and report back.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
In any car of any age a breakdown can occur. Personally I would always want contingency if I had to be somewhere for next day. In that example I would break the journey with an overnight stay maybe 100 miles from destination, although rules at present make where you can stay complicated I guess?

·
Registered
750 Posts
I would go to Zap maps and use filter for Instavolt. Instavolt is the most reliable by an order of magnitude, they have 2 chargers per site, credit card payment ie the chance of getting a charge are close to 100% . Whatever you do, do not plan on using Ecotricity at motorways.

My chose would be Instavolt at,
West Bromich 122mls- reason - retail park for services, another Instavolt just down the road,easy access on and off motorway.
Carlisle, another 189mls -reasons as above with other back ups in town
Aberdeen another 195 ( stop at Forfar if car indicates not doable or unable to charge in Aberdeen on arrival)

·
Registered
200 Posts
In any car of any age a breakdown can occur. Personally I would always want contingency if I had to be somewhere for next day.
Road side assistance with national onward travel is my usual contingency. They'll make sure you get there, and the onward journey gives you plenty of time to find a hire car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to the forum but longish time lurker. Not much to add to this except for the bit around Carlisle the Instavolt Rapids at St Nicholas Gate are the only reliable Rapid chargers in Carlisle, the Polar Rapid on Warwick Road has had a broken CCS head for months that Polar don't appear to have any interest in fixing and the Geniepoint has been out of commission for about 6 weeks at least. The instavolts however are located in a retail carpark that doesn't allow parking or charging between 11pm and 06:30am, so if you're passing at that sort of time rule these out and perhaps use the Instavolts at Booths Penrith before hand or like a previous poster said the the Ionity at Gretna.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Road side assistance with national onward travel is my usual contingency. They'll make sure you get there, and the onward journey gives you plenty of time to find a hire car.
Didn't work so well for OH nephew when he recently broke down. Took 3 hours to be recovered and would only take them 100 miles before swapping transporter! Broke down near Winchester at lunchtime and got to Sheffield at 3am. I guess recovery to nearby garage, hotel and (maybe) hire car would have been better, but they are careful with money...

Each to their own I guess. I couldn't face 10+ hours continuous in a car anyway and we do long road trips in USA! Good luck with your trip, keep safe.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
We have to make this trip in a day.

We absolutely cannot get stuck. This is a medical trip.
Not sure why it has to be made in a day ? If the trip is vital (medical trip) the only way you could be reasonably sure of getting to Aberdeen on time would be to go up a day (or even two) earlier and stay in hotel (or whatever). Breaking the journey at somewhere with a convenient charging point (say) 150miles before Aberdeen would seem a good plan.

Reactions: Todor

·
Registered
200 Posts
Didn't work so well for OH nephew when he recently broke down. Took 3 hours to be recovered and would only take them 100 miles before swapping transporter! Broke down near Winchester at lunchtime and got to Sheffield at 3am. I guess recovery to nearby garage, hotel and (maybe) hire car would have been better, but they are careful with money...
It's a cost and risk management game - careful with money vs necessity of being somewhere on a certain day. If I absolutely have to be somewhere at a certain time then money is a secondary concern. Careful with money is a good thing for everyday life, but some things are more important.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
It's a cost and risk management game - careful with money vs necessity of being somewhere on a certain day. If I absolutely have to be somewhere at a certain time then money is a secondary concern. Careful with money is a good thing for everyday life, but some things are more important.
Yeah, it wasn't a criticism of a young family and kids thought going in the truck was fun! Parents less so!

Reactions: cdlb

·
Registered
498 Posts
Much as I love my EV, I'm in the "use an ICE" camp on this one. The chance of random stuff happening is just too much to risk on a medical trip.

Besides the obvious issues with finding a charger, my own recent surprise was the charger that took my cable and wouldn't release it - totally unexpected and we lost the cable! (somebody managed to steal it before the repair guys got there).

Just imagining needing to deal with that on a potentially already very stressful journey is pushing me over the edge!

·
Registered
261 Posts
In a day? Wow, good luck with that! I would allow at least 10 hours for that in an ICE, never mind the additional time to allow for charging.

I would go with some of the other guys on here, leave the day before and stop over.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts