Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is good value, £159.99, if anyone is just a bit short reaching their car with granny cable. Has 10 metre charging cable & saves using an extension however short.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
This is good value, £159.99, if anyone is just a bit short reaching their car with granny cable. Has 10 metre charging cable & saves using an extension however short.

That's actually good value. Remarkable!
I expect we'll see cheap charge points in time too.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
123 Posts
That is good value, from a uk supplier too. I've long said it though that these chargers and charge points are way too much. Consider the price of electric showers which can be had for as little as £50 (which are greater power and also technically more complex, having pipework and heating elements and thermostats and various fail safes) and anticipate the price of chargepoints will tend towards that. There isn't a lot to a chargepoint really, it is just a bit of circuitry and a socket essentially.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, I thought it was good value, I bought one & it suits my needs perfectly.
Can charge car, Niro EV 4, in my normal parking place without need for an extension + unlike Kia supplied granny charger it has a digital display showing - Supply voltage, designed output amps, actual charging amps, kwh being supplied, time on charge, total kwh for charge session and temperature of charger.
Fortunately the little & often charging regime also suits my needs and car use, adds about 8 miles of range per hour (same as Kia supplied charger)
I also have access to a 32 amp charger if I was to need to charge quicker, just need to shuffle cars about for that one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, fixed at 10 amps max. When I have it in use it indicates - 240v, 9.4 amps & 2.2 kwh. Well within the acceptable load for a 13 amp domestic socket/wiring in good condition.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don't suppose the charge rate is adjustable, is it?
Depends if you want to modify the unit. Some charge controllers are set by resistors or wire straps so you might be able to open it up and Google the manual for the controller if you wanted to say reduce the charge rate to maximise solar use.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I think you're unlkely to find it easy to modify an off-the-shelf granny charger; I've looked at the insides of 3 different ones, and they had custom circuitboards with a shed-load of circuitry on them, so heaven help you in your search for some component you can play with. Chances it's largely done in software anyway, and un-modifiable.

If you want a granny charger with variable current capability, try the one from evconnectors.com. I've had mine for 4 years now, settable to 6/8/10/13/16(!) A using front buttons, and it's been great. I use the 6A a lot when charging from my solar panels & away from home, and 10A when in more of a hurry. 13A works ok in my gge which has good quality socket set aside for it, but I wouldn't risk that on anyone else's wiring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts