Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unlike (AFAIK) pretty much every other "mainstream" EV, you can buy the Zoe 50 without rapid charging. You can even buy the more powerful model without it, which seems peverse.
A buyer new to EVs and buying online doesn't, as far as i can see, get any warnings on the website what the lack of FC means and many I suspect are going to be very dissappointed when they either come to charge on a longer trip, or sell a few years down the line when they will have a car effectively restricted to local trips, therefore with much less resale value.
Do you agree? And how many will buy the 135 without FC? Why would you do that?

·
Registered
14,907 Posts
I ran a Zoe without rapid charging for 18 months. For my usage pattern it was fine.

The only reason I specced it on the new one was for the resale point of view, which is a bit perverse as I'm probably going to keep this one for a while.

·
Registered
ZOE GT Line R135 Z.E. 50 Rapid Charge, Mar '20
106 Posts
I was going to buy without, at £750 I couldn't justify it with how I imagine I'll be using the car..
They were doing a "promotion" on the finance though so it only cost £300, a bit easier to justify.

·
Registered
437 Posts
What exactly is the big difference with this compared to the past Zoes? For much of the time that 22 and 40kWh versions were on sale, there was the option to buy with or without rapid charge support. And from what I've seen there were far more sold without this feature.

At the end of the day, the Zoe isn't typically the car that most people would consider for making regular long trips, and generally will be driving well within its battery range. If it does need to go further, it does have a fairly large battery these days, and can still charge at 22kW AC so I'd still consider it capable for most scenarios.

As for not getting much warning about what it means to not get fast charging, surely people do their research before spending a significant amount of money on buying a car and making sure it's suitable for their needs? If I've gotten any surprises with cars when it comes to taking delivery of a new car it's because of dealer error, and definitely not because I didn't spend enough time when researching or ordering.

Finally, I actually suspect it may well be the same again where the majority of these cars end up being models without rapid charge support. People looking for the cheapest deals, and those buying company fleets will most definitely be looking for cheap options. Same with the likes of motability. If that £750 price difference for the option of DC charging makes the difference between affordability and an unreasonable upfront payment, I already know what will sell better.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To me the issue is, many might be unaware of the fact that they won't be able to use those fast motorway chargers that theyve probabiy seen.
Because the big difference to previous Zoe's is they were bought by hardcore eVers who did their research
It's not like ICE where every car can use the petrol pump, this is like buying a car that you really can only charge at home if you want to fill it up. And that concept may well not occur to many newbie EV buyers. Especially when there's only one manufacturer that does this (AFAIK)

·
Registered
437 Posts
You're definitely underselling the Zoe if you say it can only be charged at home. The 22kW AC support is still a very good tool to have and will be useful for a quick top up significantly faster than charging at home with your average 7kW charging option, even if not as fast as if you had paid for the option of CCS.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
To me the issue is, many might be unaware of the fact that they won't be able to use those fast motorway chargers that theyve probabiy seen.
Most rapids still have AC charging (though some installs are now minus the AC) so they will still be able to use them and get 22kW.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Our leased Zoe 50 GT Line 135 deliberately ordered without RC.
Wife does 15k+ miles a year7kW charger at home.

Run EVs for the past 3 years. Never suffered “range anxiety“.

Renault offer the option because, with 8 years experience of EVs and having spent millions on market research they know there’s a demand for both. We’re not alone

There’s no advantage to the sales person to do anything other than explain and upsell the RC, so anyone who wants it will have the opportunity to order it.

Everyone uses their car differently.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Our leased Zoe 50 GT Line 135 deliberately ordered without RC.
Wife does 15k+ miles a year7kW charger at home.

Run EVs for the past 3 years. Never suffered “range anxiety“.

Renault offer the option because, with 8 years experience of EVs and having spent million on market research they know there’s a demand for both. We’re not alone

There’s no advantage to the sales person to do anyone other than explain and upsell the RC, so anyone who wants it will have the opportunity to order it.

Everyone uses their car differently.
What, no Radio Control?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't know the exact breakdown but there's an awful lot of R110 ZE40s (with 22kW charging) out there compared to the Q90 ones. That was a several hundred quid option at the time too.

If I was buying a ZE50 I'd be on the fence about whether to get CCS or not. Realistically a 200+ mile real world car would mean I'd hardly ever need to rapid charge anyway.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
This "problem" is so heavily discounted, both because it is in the future AND because it will only affect the unaware whom bearing in mind have benefited from the lower price, that's it's totally and utterly irrelevant.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have a R110 Zoe with 22 kWh charging, its not a problem for me as I do my research but I would still prefer having the CCS option just in case as you can use more chargers. Recently I came across a Jaguar iPace plugged into the only AC rapid charging at 7Kwh as it must have failed on the CCS plug at an Ecotricity charger at Woodall services, but it wasn't a problem because he left 15 min later so not the end of the world.

Also the more Zoes with CCS will free up the dwindling number of AC rapids for me! :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
We are waiting for our ZE50 to be built, but have gone for the CCS option. We are buying on PCP.

Although it was £750 extra, the difference in monthly PCP payment and deposit with or without it was zero so Renault obviously think the residuals on CCS cars will be better than non CCS.

We have home charging installed (as part of the Renault package - fitted 2 days before lockdown!) so wouldn’t think we will want to rapid charge often but as it was effectively a free upgrade it would have been rude to not tick the box.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have a R110 Zoe with 22 kWh charging, its not a problem for me as I do my research but I would still prefer having the CCS option just in case as you can use more chargers. Recently I came across a Jaguar iPace plugged into the only AC rapid charging at 7Kwh as it must have failed on the CCS plug at an Ecotricity charger at Woodall services, but it wasn't a problem because he left 15 min later so not the end of the world.

Also the more Zoes with CCS will free up the dwindling number of AC rapids for me! :)
Woodall has working AC? The unit with AC on the southbound side has NEVER worked in all the years I have passed through there, and the one on the northbound side got removed well over a year ago, and recently replaced with a new Efacec brand, DC only unit.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
How is this any different to a choice of paint colour? Certain metallic colours add significantly to resale value at an initial cost, but may be of no value to the original purchaser. Surely CCS is the same? Why should there be warnings about one rather than another?
In the USA the base model LEAF24 came without the Chademo plug, and was a similarly expensive upgrade. There has been little issue with this there despite the significantly lower range of a LEAF24.

·
Registered
402 Posts
If the EV newbie buys a car online, without seeing it in person (potential damage) and without knowing exactly what they are looking for (rapid charging), then I guess the seller deserves the money; until the papers are signed, the buyer can check the car and change their mind. It's not like buying a cooker and not really knowing whether it's 220V or 380V.

Should there be more education/material available to buyers? Yes, with that I fully agree.

4 years ago when I got hold of my first Zoe, I spent 2 weeks upfront on this forum and learnt the models and downsides of the car, and I still made the mistake to take the R motor instead of the Q motor (I never managed to convincingly justify the decision).

·
Registered
Get £150 off Evezy! Referral code e8615
1,642 Posts
This is exactly the issue though evescu - buyers shouldn't have to learn the different connector types just to drive their car. And that's why CCS cars will be more valuable, as anyone can buy one and plug it in anywhere. AC only introduces a lot of restrictions and need for education.

·
Registered
281 Posts
many people dont need it. I certainly dont. have my car for over a year and only charged in a public charger once. I can easily drive 15-20k miles a year btw.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Although it was £750 extra, the difference in monthly PCP payment and deposit with or without it was zero so Renault obviously thinks the residuals on CCS cars will be better than non CCS.
only value that matters is total ammount payable. dont fall for the deposit/monthly payment trap.

·
Registered
Get £150 off Evezy! Referral code e8615
1,642 Posts
If there's no increase in monthly cost and you give the car back at the end, total amount payable will still be the same...

1 - 20 of 113 Posts