Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I had to take the Volt on a run well beyond it's 40 mile battery comfort zone. With the exception of the engine running automatically for maintenance a few weeks ago, this is the first time I've used petrol since the first week I got the car 12 weeks / 2500 miles ago.

I bragged about this on Twitter (I do that a lot!), and got this reply

So, although I doubt there's many on here that can beat 46900 miles, it did make me wonder how far you can go without exhaust fumes coming out the back of your Volt / Ampera - kind of like the 50 mile club thread, but long term

·
Super Moderator
7,529 Posts
They're the same car aren't they?
I believe he's trying to ascertain whether you're driving a Volt/Ampera or a different car, like a Leaf or an Outlander PHEV. It might help to add your vehicle to your profile ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, just to be clear, this thread is for Volt or Ampera owners to brag about how long they go between using the petrol engine in their cars. Obviously other vehicles will have very different results, so that is why it's in the GM manufacturers part of the forum - After all, I wouldn't want any diesel drivers coming in and claiming infinite MPG too :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Don't really have a time line but I have had to get out of the Ampera at the petrol station to remind myself which side the filler cap was on before choosing the pump. Surreal yet satisfying.

·
Registered
585 Posts
That is impressive. Though there is a 'but'.
If you've managed to drive that far without petrol -
a) You've be carrying around a petrol engine, radiator, starter motor, coolant, fuel, exhaust system, etc which directly cost you miles of range.
b) Just proved that you could probably have survived with a BEV.

Even worse for Semach... :eek:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Well it is true that I filled the tank when I got it (I know,I know) so certainly carried excess weight for months but without the range anxiety. The fact that I fairly regularly used up a couple or ten miles on petrol meant that an Ampera was a good choice (for my needs). Only fill er up now if going across Britain and have found a new source of anxiety with 'earning' 20p a litre off at Tesco and a nearly empty tank but not wishing to add the weight.

·
Registered
654 Posts
The 70+ miles per gallon is not true then. You're probably getting 30mpg and 3 miles per kWh as you have two different power sources.

·
Super Moderator
6,389 Posts
The 70+ miles per gallon is not true then. You're probably getting 30mpg and 3 miles per kWh as you have two different power sources.
More like 50mpg and 4.5-5 miles per kWh. Regualy get just under 50 miles for 9.7kWh from my experience

·
Registered
313 Posts
The official fuel economy of a PHEV in Europe (235 mpg for an Ampera) is derived from the fuel consumed to travel a specified distance from a full battery. It's calculated as a weighted average of the fuel economy with a full battery (infinite mpg for an Ampera) and the economy with an discharged battery (56 mpg), weighted according to the electric only range (50 miles).

70 mpg seems quite feasible on that basis presumably reflecting average distances between recharges longer than assumed by the official figures.

·
Registered
654 Posts
It all seems a bit of a number exercise. If you traveled 200 miles, you would get very different figures than if you traveled 20 miles. Seems like they picked a distance that gives result of good MPG without looking to daft.

I guess they're not the first manufacturer to fiddle the performance figures though.

·
Super Moderator
6,389 Posts
It all seems a bit of a number exercise. If you traveled 200 miles, you would get very different figures than if you traveled 20 miles. Seems like they picked a distance that gives result of good MPG without looking to daft.
I guess they're not the first manufacturer to fiddle the performance figures though.
It's worked out the same way as the mpg figures on an ice car. Set distance that all manufacturer's use so that cars can be compaired on a reasonable level playing field. The problem is if you don't know all of the in's and outs of each car you could be disappointed. It's basically the same as saying a leaf will do 124 miles on a single charge.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Well it is true that I filled the tank when I got it (I know,I know) so certainly carried excess weight for months but without the range anxiety. The fact that I fairly regularly used up a couple or ten miles on petrol meant that an Ampera was a good choice (for my needs). Only fill er up now if going across Britain and have found a new source of anxiety with 'earning' 20p a litre off at Tesco and a nearly empty tank but not wishing to add the weight.
Which reminds me..can I donate these petrol points I'm still accumulating,as there wasn't a Tesco garage within 40 miles of where I live BEFORE I bought a Zoe?!

·
Registered
313 Posts

Fiddle in what way?

·
Registered
654 Posts
It doesn't do 200+mpg. It does a normal 30-40 mpg on petrol and 30 miles on electric. Adding the electric miles doesn't increase the petrol engine performance, just delays is use.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts