Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. New to the site. I am looking at getting a Corsa e on the work salary sacrifice scheme. Seem to get mixed reviews but it's a good deal and looks a good city car/short journey car. Just wondered if it's worth getting the 11kw charger one over the 7.4kw.

Anyone recommend a good home charging point.

Thanks James.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,528 Posts
Hi everyone. New to the site. I am looking at getting a Corsa e on the work salary sacrifice scheme. Seem to get mixed reviews but it's a good deal and looks a good city car/short journey car. Just wondered if it's worth getting the 11kw charger one over the 7.4kw.

Anyone recommend a good home charging point.

Thanks James.
The 11kW OBC is only beneficial if you have a three phase supply at home or work. Most don’t. Even on three phase AC public chargers, it would only save you a small amount of time. On a journey, you’ll be using CCS DC charging anyway. The Corsa will charge at up to 100kW, although this doesn’t last very long. I have the e-208 (same battery and drivetrain) and recently charged from 11% to 75% at an average of 60kW, adding 30kWh in 30 minutes.

How much extra is the 11kW version over the 7kW one?

Reactions: JimmyD91

·
Registered
2021 Corsa-e
182 Posts
I would say it depends if you have 3 phase AC at home, that can support 11kw. That is if you plan to charge mostly at home.

Also, I would say that it depends how much the extra cost is for the 11kw option.

In Israel the Corsa-e doesn't even have that as an option, but the e208 does, but it costs a fortune, equivalent to about 650 GBP.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The 11kw will work better in the EU where three phase is standard. I have the 7kw e-golf and its totally fine. The egolf 50kw DC isn’t an issue except on long journeys so the corsa 100kw will be more than good enough

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the replies. I think it's £7 per month. If it isn't going to make much difference I will probably go for the 7.4kw charger. Watched many YouTube reviews gets a good review. And the carwow range test it does well.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,896 Posts
7kw will be fine. CCS is better for faster charging. The 100kw capable cars do charge better on 50kw chargers and stay at decent speeds for longer.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have a 7kw charger and evse, I actually find that 3.5kw is more than enough at home (my car has about a 14 hour dwell time between returning from work and leaving again the next morning).
For most people in the uk the 3 phase option is probably a nice to have, but not worth paying much to get.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,528 Posts
Hey @JimmyD91 how come you liked everyone else’s post except mine? ;)

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have a 7kw charger and evse, I actually find that 3.5kw is more than enough at home (my car has about a 14 hour dwell time between returning from work and leaving again the next morning).
For most people in the uk the 3 phase option is probably a nice to have, but not worth paying much to get.
Even with a 14 hour dwell wouldn't the 7kw be best at all times with a tariff that gives stupidly cheap electric in middle of night?

I top mine up 2 hours a night for about 75p to cover my 50 mile drive of the day

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
1,031 Posts
The other time I think a three phase charger makes sense is if you will be travelling around an area with no rapids but plenty of 22kW points. Big parts of Ireland are like that. In that situation I’ll take the slightly faster AC charge rate. It’s worth it. Otherwise probably not.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
545 Posts
I don’t think Vauxhall are even making the 11kW charger available on UK spec cars. Correct me if I’m wrong but I’ve yet to hear from anyone with a Corsa-e with an 11kW charger.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
608 Posts
Home 3 phase (11kW) chargers are quite a lot more expensive too ie podpoints with the grant are around £1200 versus £550 for 7kW.
I can't see a reason why anyone would need one at home, unless they did serious mileage and or had a number of evs. A 7kW will fully charge even the biggest battery cars overnight.
Technically I suppose you could take more advantage of very cheap rates using a tariff like agile, by cramming more into the 30 minute lowest cost periods, but it would be a marginal gain Vs the extra outlay.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Doubt it’s worth it - very few public 22kw chargers, and 7.2kw will charge in 7-8 hours on the Corsa.

It looks good value on leasing, but be aware it’s not as long range as they claim, with most reporting way less range than the figures suggest.

However, as said, on lease they look excellent value.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don’t think Vauxhall are even making the 11kW charger available on UK spec cars. Correct me if I’m wrong but I’ve yet to hear from anyone with a Corsa-e with an 11kW charger.
It's an option for all 3 models on the lease company that my employer uses. I think I will just get the 7.4kw it will be mainly used by my missus and when I'm on nights I'll take the car and get a free charge 😉

·
Registered
190 Posts
I wouldn't bother personally, for the reasons stated by others. Great car, and some good deals to be had on them too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not much anyone else hasn't already said but I took delivery of mine last week and I've been very happy with it so far. Didn't even consider the 11kW because I'll never use it. Charges great on public rapid chargers though, doubled my range during a 19 minute splash and dash at Lidl a couple of days ago. You won't get 200 miles from it but chargers are so common nowadays it's not remotely worrying. Also get a free pod point home charger included with a new one, waiting on a main fuse upgrade before I can get mine installed but it's a nice added bonus.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
545 Posts
I know they’re advertised and specced. When I purchased. I’ve last July, I was given the option of having one with an 11kW OBC. Like everyone else on here, I chose the 7.4kW version as it makes almost no difference for everyday home charging. I was told at the tike that they wouldn’t be able to give a build date for a car with the 11kW charger if I chose that option.

As has been said on here, once they did start building cars with the 11kW OBC, they were likely to be LHD Opel models for northErin European countries where 3 phase home electricity was more common.

If they are available now, fill your boots but, as has been pointed out, 3 phase public public chargers above 7kW are still quite rare and if you really want a quicker charge, just go for a rapid CCS anyway.

Aside form the 11kW charger models being advertised, does anyone on here actually have one or even seen one?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts