Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm in the process of looking for a new car with a budget of £14k. Most of my tavel is the school run and work which is a round trip of 8 miles.
I'm considering a 3 series 330e M sport with a mileage of 59k, but reading reviews the battery is only covered for 60k miles / 6 years.
Would you purchase a second hand 330e of this age?
I was also considering an Audi A4 1.4 petrol but struggling at the moment to decide, I have read hundreds of reviews and not being able to visit showrooms to have a good look at the vehicles is making it a difficult decision to make.
Any advice would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,441 Posts
If you buy the BMW only do so if you buy a comprehensive extendable warranty that covers all of the drivetrain components for the whole period of time that you are going to own the car. Otherwise walk away.
The BMW is a better car dynamically on ICE but on EV only is frustrating. What about a Golf GTE?

·
Registered
EGolf
131 Posts
I was also going to buy the 330e msport, I liked the speed and the fact the majority of our trips (if not all) would be on battery. This then got me thinking. What is the point of carrying around both technologies with double the scope for breakdowns and future expense. After a rethink I bought an egolf and I’m very happy with it. Of course you have to go with what suits your usage and the 330e is a very handsome car

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
Hi everyone,
I'm in the process of looking for a new car with a budget of £14k. Most of my tavel is the school run and work which is a round trip of 8 miles.
I'm considering a 3 series 330e M sport with a mileage of 59k, but reading reviews the battery is only covered for 60k miles / 6 years.
I was also considering an Audi A4 1.4 petrol but struggling at the moment to decide, I have read hundreds of reviews and not being able to visit showrooms to have a good look at the vehicles is making it a difficult decision to make.
Do you have a second car in the household? If so, don’t get the BMW. Use the other car for long trips, spend £10k on a Leaf. It’ll have 80 miles realistic range, an 8 year 100k warranty, cost almost nothing at all in fuel, and isnt expensive to maintain or repair.

if you don’t have a second car, buy a Prius (or a Lexus if the badge bothers you) hybrid. They’re great on fuel (much better than the BMW on long runs) will have better residuals than the bmw, bulletrproof reliability.

These short range PHEVs are the worst of all worlds, loads of different technology shoehorned into a car not designed to accommodate it, and in BMWs case from a manufacturer who’s not really interested in electrification in the first place.

·
Registered
2021 BMW 530e
55 Posts
These short range PHEVs are the worst of all worlds,
A sweeping generalisation that is just wrong, IMHO. This really all depends so much on your driving patterns.

I find the short range hybrid to be perfect for my use cases. I drive around 15-20 miles most days, and I can do that without burning any petrol at all. Occasionally (every couple of weeks), I have to drive >200 mile round trips, and then I obviously use the ICE, and I have the benefit of a nice engine without a poor power band. I achieve around 50mpg on those long runs - maybe not quite as good as I could achieve in a Lexus, but a lot better than the <35mpg I used to get in my ICE-only car with similar performance.

I really think Toyota have missed a trick by not making their cars plug-in. You don't have the option to just not use petrol on short trips.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think my main concern is if I face issues with the battery as the warranty is only valid for 6 years unless I start purchasing an extended warranty which will add to the cost of purchasing the vehicle and also with it being a personal purchase, will I lose a lot in value when I try to sell the car on in a few years with it being a hybrid and people maybe will not want to purchase an old hybrid.

·
Registered
2021 BMW 530e
55 Posts
That is a much more valid concern, and totally understandable. I've seen very little data on battery life in cars, I presume because it's only now that this type of car is getting to the age where we'll find out!

On the plus side, even if your battery drops to 50% capacity, you'll still have an ICE to keep your vehicle functional. And you've got a relatively small battery to replace if you need to (although it won't be cheap).

With a full EV, a knackered battery will absolutely affect it's usability, and will cost a lot more to replace.

You never know...Hybrid cars might become collector's items when you can't buy a new one anymore.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I think my main concern is if I face issues with the battery as the warranty is only valid for 6 years unless I start purchasing an extended warranty which will add to the cost of purchasing the vehicle and also with it being a personal purchase, will I lose a lot in value when I try to sell the car on in a few years with it being a hybrid and people maybe will not want to purchase an old hybrid.
If you maximise your electric range (which I do) a PHEV battery is worked hard, cycling between full and empty more than a typical EV.

I can't comment on BMW in general or the 330e in particular, but my Golf GTE suits my usage profile very well. Short journeys are all electric, long journeys I get the same mpg as the eco diesel I owned previously. If I didn't need a towbar I would get an EV.

I have just paid out for an extended warranty - first car I have ever done so.

I don't think anyone can do more than guess future depreciation on EVs and PHEVs. Longer range EVs may drive residuals down, new ICE taxes and low emission zones may drive residuals up.

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
I just sold a 12 year old hybrid with 130k on the clock for £2,500 which seemed pretty good to me!

Reactions: Snowdon42

·
Registered
F30 330e Sport
104 Posts
I bought a well specced 330e last year, 67 plate, and can tell you I’m delighted with it. As primarily a drivers car (and I was always looking to stay within the 3-series stable) it doesn’t disappoint. Mainly for the performance and power. Hybrid range comes a distinct second. I can tell you that I drive 21 miles to work, 9 of them high speed dual carriageway and 12 a-roads, so I start off on the engine and switch to eDrive as soon as I hit the A-road. Brim to brim calculations are 90+ mpg, highest seen was 168mpg and the lowest I saw was 70mpg (flexing the right foot in sport mode).

yes you need to plug in every evening to keep as efficient as possible, but if you want a 3 series with the torque close to a 340i and power the same as the 330i with much reduced fuel bills then there’s no better. Apart from the g20 I suppose...

as already stated definitely buy the bmw insured warranty to cover expensive items. The battery itself is covered for 6 years but is very unlikely in itself to cause issues. However the invertor/converter and hybrid drivetrain are worth covering.

End of the day, do you want more range in a hybrid, or do you want driving dynamics? ICE and hybrid cars are here to stay for quite a long time yet, so I wouldn’t worry about resell value either, especially on a ‘3’

hope this helps. And not at all biased 😂

·
Registered
61 Posts
Personally I wouldnt buy a phev without a warranty.
KLE modules on the 330e can fail and are not covered by the extended battery warranty.
additionally, even 8 miles ev range can be a push for the 330e at this time of year if it’s stop/start urban traffic.

·
Registered
F30 330e Sport
104 Posts
8 miles... I’ve not been that unlucky, although 11 or 12 seems the limit with these cold temps... I agree on the KLE, i think BMWs term for the invertor/converter. It’s pricey and especially for early 330e’s has been through quite a few revisions so it was a known problematic part. I’m a late build 67, so not sure how up to date my part is, but at 2-3k, I wouldn’t take the chance.

·
Registered
F30 330e Sport
104 Posts
By the way, to the Op, even BMWs own insured warranty (one of the best out there) does not cover the high voltage battery. Drivetrain and associated charging components, yes. And I’d not be wanting to take on a third party with a potential claim in the 000s for it either! Though I still don’t think it should worry you, yes you may get some degradation and your max summer distance may drop from 18-20 to 16-18, but it’s very unlikely to fail completely.

·
Registered
F30 330e Sport
104 Posts
It’s probably never been tested and hopefully never will? But I bet there’s also be a healthy goodwill contribution from the dealer too, especially as at the moment it’s extremely rare.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi everyone,
I bought a 2016 330e Sport about 2 years ago (then 2 years old, 40k miles for £16k) and have been really happy with it. It is a proper drivers’ car. It now has just over 60k miles. I drive it hard, and plug in every time I use it. I live in rural England and do a mix of short
Last year it had a problem with a starter motor and chipped cog on the main flywheel which would have cost £3k to repair, but BMW fixed the whole thing free (out of warranty): all I paid for was the diagnostic for about £100. I was very happy with that gesture from them.

My average MPG was over 70 plus electric for the first year (my previous comparable car, a 530d gave 38MPG reliably for 12 years).

On long trips, the hybrid means that you get 3 litre performance for 2 litre economy. It is hilly where I live but even in winter I am getting 15 miles on the battery if I am gentle (and if I precondition and don’t use the heater).

One important practicality hint : you should definitely consider getting the model with folding rear seats (standard on later models but not on the earlier ones).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
F30 330e Sport
104 Posts
Folding rear seats still weren’t standard - just an optional extra - I think 67 is the latest these were made up to, due to new WLTP and the G20 model forthcoming? And I didn’t get folding seats! Fortunately the children are of an age that it doesn’t matter to me any more...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Folding rear seats still weren’t standard - just an optional extra - I think 67 is the latest these were made up to, due to new WLTP and the G20 model forthcoming? And I didn’t get folding seats! Fortunately the children are of an age that it doesn’t matter to me any more...
THIS!

I have an march 18plate… without fold down seats the boot is not very useful.

·
Registered
F30 330e Sport
104 Posts
Ah an 18 plate! I looked all over for these when searching BMW Authorised Used Cars and at any budget found none! Must have been the last F30 plate 330e produced? But yes, the boot can be annoying without folding seats, fortunately I knew our larger main car was the proper family car!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.