Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm going to look at a second hand ZE50 GT R135 tomorrow, it's a 70 plate with only 3k on the clock (~£22k). I've been reading up on these beforehand and the thing that jumps out the most is many appear to have really poor range. 114 miles with 70% left (=162 miles full) or another 70 miles with 50% battery (=140 miles full).
Very low for the ZE50...
What's the most likely?
Bad battery?
Not updated BMS?
Sat idle so almost 0 miles traveled but natural battery loss makes the m/kwh look awful?
Been thrashed around by staff?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens Q210 22kw 2013
596 Posts
what you could try is erasing the previous owners record of driving just in case they were driving heavy right footed and driving it like an ICE car - now in the 22kw and ZE40 model you did this by getting the 'B' trip meter up on the dash when the car was fully charged to 100% then keeping hold of the down button on the wiper stalk until it flashed ... but i cannot say how you do it on the ZE50 sorry because I dont own one ... but there must be similar.

Now another thing , (but its ultra cheeky) is if you had an OBD2 diagnostics adaptor and put CANZE app on the phone you could actually check there and then what the battery state of health (SOH) is with CANZE and it seems to work with ZE50 now these days. again i think you have to check this when the car has been charged to 100% and its batteries 'balanced'

·
Registered
Renault Zoé ZE50 R135 Intens
82 Posts
Hi all,
I'm going to look at a second hand ZE50 GT R135 tomorrow, it's a 70 plate with only 3k on the clock (~£22k). I've been reading up on these beforehand and the thing that jumps out the most is many appear to have really poor range. 114 miles with 70% left (=162 miles full) or another 70 miles with 50% battery (=140 miles full).
Very low for the ZE50...
What's the most likely?
Bad battery?
Not updated BMS?
Sat idle so almost 0 miles traveled but natural battery loss makes the m/kwh look awful?
Where are they getting these numbers they're giving you?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's from a dealer and the numbers are from photos of the dash on autotrader. I do have a Bluetooth obd adapter so will definitely give it a try.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,760 Posts
Hi all,
Very low for the ZE50...
What's the most likely?
Bad battery?
Not updated BMS?
Good mileage is the one thing I would agree the Zoe can deliver.

Everything else one normally expects from a car ... that, I cannot agree the Zoe delivers on.

Go find yourself a nice Korean car with a proper warranty.

·
Registered
Renault Zoé ZE50 R135 Intens
82 Posts
It's from a dealer and the numbers are from photos of the dash on autotrader. I do have a Bluetooth obd adapter so will definitely give it a try.
Ah, GOM (Guess-o-Meter) numbers, that literally mean nothing. I would not use this as a decision to buy a car. As you said, they may have not had the update, or have just been driven around the lot confusing the @#$% out of the GOM. The cars are probably just fine.

Also, ignore "donald" like the GOM he's just noise and needs to move on to the forum for "nice Korean cars" and bother them instead now.

·
Registered
596 Posts
you could do a bit of research on BMS ... early 22kw needed BMS update , and I dont think the ZE40 needed it .. and iam not too sure if ZE50 suffers from BMS .

what I think you could check on the ZE50 is 'will the car precon from mobile app' some ZE50's needed a update for precon - ' does the rear hinge look ok' some of the ZE50's got a recall to re-weld the boot hinge to stop an annoying clunk when driving' has it had the 'power consumption update' on the infotainment system (forgot the proper word now , flow something) - not important but there was a recall for it. - some ZE50 drivers doors leaked as well , think there was a recall on that . Worth checking they have all been done before buying - if car has not been used regularly and if its one of the Early produced ZE50 (note I say produced and not registered) the 12volt battery suffered, got banjaxed and then if that falls below certain voltage you get all kinds of weird and wonderful frightening messages about 'stop - electric fault ' and other warning signs on the dash ... again some people had to replace their 12v batteries - worth asking about all of these things if you can - dont be afraid its a lot of money to shell out on a car even if its secondhand. Hopefully all these things have been addressed before you come to buy it already , but if they are not expect to be taking it back to Renault to be getting ACTIS recalls sorted out so you might have to end up leaving it into renault for days whilst they do software updates on the car and fixing rear boot hinge.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome info folks, thanks. Most of those points came up in researching it. Didn't know about the door leak and 12v bat though, so thanks again. I'll be looking for proof things have been addressed prior to any sale.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Awesome info folks, thanks. Most of those points came up in researching it. Didn't know about the door leak and 12v bat though, so thanks again. I'll be looking for proof things have been addressed prior to any sale.
12v Lead acid batteries are not brilliant being left around in uncharged states. as far as i can tell the 12v charges up from the traction control when the drivers door is opened and when getting charged by the type2 connector (possibly when driving too if the 12v battery needs to be topped up) some Zoe's were left in ports due to covid and it really done the 12v batteries in , as has people lockedup there Zoe's and left them on their drives for months because they werent using them in covid times so without any kind of trickle charges or the car being used the 12v battery was not getting charged as it should have in normal use - can end up wrecking them , the plates fur upand everything - next minute the battery is too low and you either get warning signs on the dash or not even enough power to open up the doors or enough power for the ECU's to start the car!

It being a ZE50 GT line I am presuming it has but just double check tomorrow that it is a model with CCS DC Rapid charge - dont just take the word from the person selling it you, open up the front charging flap then open the big round type 2 cap then make sure you can pull a flap down underneath to expose 2 more large pins - if you can see them the car has rapid charge CCS - this is going to be so useful especially when driving on longer trips as the public charging systems across the land seem to be replacing chargers left right and centre with these DC rapid chargers especially on motorways - also think later on down the line if you ever have to resell your ZE50 how much easier it will be to sell if it does have rapid charging. - I think a lot of the earlier ZE50's the CCS charging was an 'optional extra' at about 800 quid dearer - although if its a GT Line your getting it more than likely (hopefully) came with rapid charging in with the goodies.

One more thing before you part cash - turn the aircon right to coldest on the climate control , is it freezing air coming out of the face vents? - thats a good sign - turn it all the way up to the maximum hot - is it really hot air coming out of the face vents thats good , if the air coming out is ambient air instead of freezing cold on minimum or boiling hot on maximum you got troubles . It might just mean that the refrigerant just needs topping up but it can mean that the seals have leaked (sometimes cars laying around for ages not being used can cause that as well the aircon seals can get brittle and leak) - you need to get that resolved before you buy it as that could be a bloody nightmare if the aircon isnt working properly ... it also cools down the traction batteries when charging at a high rate or in hot weather that is why working aircon is so important on Zoe's

good luck (y)

·
Registered
781 Posts
It’s a 70plate so it won’t neee the BMS update the early 20 cars did, or the door fix

ignore the GOM just buy it if it’s decent and reset the trips

·
30,760 Posts
Also, ignore "donald" like the GOM he's just noise and needs to move on to the forum for "nice Korean cars" and bother them instead now.
I thought this was the nice Korean car site?!

Besides, cars aren't supposed to sound like this;-

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,654 Posts
I thought this was the nice Korean car site?!

Besides, cars aren't supposed to sound like this;-
If he buys a Korean car, it will leave him stranded when the 12 volt battery fails. Or catch on fire.

Either way a Zoe is pretty proven vehicle.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
The range for my wife's Zoe ZE50 GT Line is never less than around 220 miles, and in reality it always seems to achieve well over that. Her average since she bought the car in March is still showing a pretty remarkable 5.4 miles per kWh, and even though she's a pretty careful driver, that number still surprises me. A range of well under 200 miles seems low to me, and makes me wonder if the GOM is well and truly out of whack.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,572 Posts
There is a BMS issue with some ZE50s that causes the range to drop. It shows on CanZE as a much lower than expected state of health. Fixed with an update however the dealers often work on the basis that if they plug the car in and get no errors there's nothing to do, if the car needs this update you may need to give them the actis number and prod them with something sharp until they apply it.

There's also an update for the infotainment wotnot. If the main display has an energy used option it's all up to date, otherwise it needs applying - this update does not come OTA, it needs actis numbers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Having seen comments about some 70 plates needing BMS and the range being lower than expected I'm leaning towards this update not having been applied yet.

They do unaccompanied test drives so definitely going to try canze - hopefully my old Bluetooth OBD2 reader is compatible. As I've never used it before what's the thing I'm looking for? Just the SOH <~95%?

Edit: photo from the advert

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,572 Posts
Yes I think so. Given the figures you’ve seen it’s most likely someone’s been thrashing about in it. It may also not have been getting charged up to 100% so there may be some balancing to do. Ours was similar, used 70 plate, was being driven around by one of the sales guys. Clearly hadn’t been getting fully charged up and the first time we took it to 100% it was a loooong time from 99-100%. Range was noticeably higher after that.

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
608 Posts
I’m not sure when Renault changed from 3 year warranty to 5 year, I’d check the car has 5 years, in writing if necessary.
The predicted range will be low if the car is just driven around the car park and sat stationary with the ignition on. I’d compare the price against a new well discounted Zoe, and allow for the expired portion of warranty on the secondhand car.

·
30,760 Posts
If he buys a Korean car, it will leave him stranded when the 12 volt battery fails. Or catch on fire.
Heresay, or at the very least extremely rare events.

I think you are confusing Leafs and Zoes there about the 12V battery.

whereas Zoe has KNOWN faults, that EVERY car suffers from.

One is 'unlucky' to suffer a fault with a Korean car.
One is 'lucky' to have a fault free Zoe.

Either way a Zoe is pretty proven vehicle.
Yep. Proven. That's one way to describe it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Let's stop with the fanboyism... I've had Renault in the past. Clio 172, loved it despite its many faults. We currently own a Hyundai i20, it's fine but dull. Also not without issues. Auto lights randomly come on when it's locked up and runs the battery down, sunroof leaks and the clutch judders.

A Kona is also on my list but it's also bigger and more money, less value per mile.

So please stop - it's not helpful.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts