Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi , I have been looking for an e-turbo control solution for a long time. I want to control via CAN so as not to interfere with the electronics that is original, if you managed to solve this problem, I would ask him to share CAN frames. I am sending for interesting CAN frames that the e-turbo sends to the bus
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Screenshot

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 · (Edited)
Hi , I have been looking for an e-turbo control solution for a long time. I want to control via CAN so as not to interfere with the electronics that is original, if you managed to solve this problem, I would ask him to share CAN frames. I am sending for interesting CAN frames that the e-turbo sends to the bus View attachment 162389
Thank you would you happen to have this in text form please? was this from the original vehicle ? Please

·
Registered
2 Posts
this reading is the frame that the e-turbo sends after connecting the power supply, it is probably some information that is read by the ECU, the battery driver and all devices for which it is important, the question is what values need to be sent for the e-turbo to start (the best would be to connect under the car and overhear communication frames)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
this reading is the frame that the e-turbo sends after connecting the power supply, it is probably some information that is read by the ECU, the battery driver and all devices for which it is important, the question is what values need to be sent for the e-turbo to start (the best would be to connect under the car and overhear communication frames)
I was talking to someone about a borg warner e-turbo and they said they had to delete the tc errors on it because it was all sent from the turbo i dunno if this turbo is the same. but i do have a guy who can do that i just need to give him the dtc codes and he can remove them from the car. how that will work being in a non audi vehicle im not sure but i expect audi dtc's are maybe stored in the turbo and it sends them out if it doesnt get back the messages it expects.

this is all guess work on my part though.

was this taken while it was in the original vehicle? i asked in a canbus facebook group and showed them your photo they said it wasnt enough :( they said whats needed is a canbus sniffer in the original vehicle and record all the data while its running and driving

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
I've dabbled with can bus vnt actuators but was able to find the data I needed online for Holset & Hella turbos.

Otherwise you need to sniff the data on a vehicle with an e-turbo. Even then it won't be quick and simple to decipher which frames and bits do what.

If the turbo is sending dtcs, you should be able to filter them out, but also find out how to reset it - it would probably have gone into a fault state if dtcs were generated.

This happened on the Holset actuator if the actuator was not fitted to the turbo. It took me a while to realise what was happening then the penny dropped. The actuator moves the vnt mechanism from end to end so it knows where these are and when not fitted, the actuator lever was moving too far.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I've dabbled with can bus vnt actuators but was able to find the data I needed online for Holset & Hella turbos.

Otherwise you need to sniff the data on a vehicle with an e-turbo. Even then it won't be quick and simple to decipher which frames and bits do what.

If the turbo is sending dtcs, you should be able to filter them out, but also find out how to reset it - it would probably have gone into a fault state if dtcs were generated.

This happened on the Holset actuator if the actuator was not fitted to the turbo. It took me a while to realise what was happening then the penny dropped. The actuator moves the vnt mechanism from end to end so it knows where these are and when not fitted, the actuator lever was moving too far.

yeah thats the thing it may go into a fault state if DTC's are generated like you say so that is a bit of a problem

i know on hella/Garrett actuators they do a self-test going end to end when you turn the ignition on I expect its the same for other turbo's

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
yeah thats the thing it may go into a fault state if DTC's are generated like you say so that is a bit of a problem

i know on hella/Garrett actuators they do a self-test going end to end when you turn the ignition on I expect its the same for other turbo's
The end to end thing also scrapes soot from the vnt mechanism. Holset actuators can be sent a command to do the same and also move to the exhaust brake position. They require power cycle to reset them out of a fault mode.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts