Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a cheap device to clip on to a Twin&Earth cable to measure its power usage and total up (until reset to zero).

The cable just feeds a single 3-pin outdoor socket.

Anyone have any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I don't think you'll find one !

'Hall Effect' sensors measure current in a single conductor; Twin&Earth cable is three separate conductors in an outer sheath. To get a reading, you'd need to strip off the outer sheath then clip the sensor round just one of the conductors - pref the one coloured brown (or red if it's an old cable).

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah yes, of course! Thanks

Ok - might need to chase our booking of a proper EV charger and try bring it forward.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think you'll find one !

'Hall Effect' sensors measure current in a single conductor; Twin&Earth cable is three separate conductors in an outer sheath. To get a reading, you'd need to strip off the outer sheath then clip the sensor round just one of the conductors - pref the one coloured brown (or red if it's an old cable).
Thinking about it - as a temporary solution - this might be possible.

Any idea of any cheap/simple ones that will work with a clip on the brown conductor?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why not get one of these Efergy things, and open your consumer unit and clip it round the red/brown wire going to your cable.

A smaller/simplified version of that would be ideal. I just need to monitor/total up the consumption of a single spur socket. And only for about 1-2 months.
Cannot use the plug-in type (*) as it's an outdoor socket

* e.g. cannot use one of these (which I already have): Energenie Power Meter: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

·
Registered
866 Posts
I don't think it will be useless even after the month, will it? I've had one installed for years measuring how much my storage heaters take overnight. I think an enquiring mind will always find a use for it.

The bit that goes in the consumer unit is very small.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Probably an Emlite meter is the best and cheapest way to do this but it's not a clamp on meter, will need to be wired inline, needs some protection etc etc

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Probably an Emlite meter is the best and cheapest way to do this but it's not a clamp on meter, will need to be wired inline, needs some protection etc etc
Just looked this up. They're pretty cheap from ebay and actually I think these would be better for what I am thinking. Thanks a lot!

Reactions: freddym

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think it will be useless even after the month, will it? I've had one installed for years measuring how much my storage heaters take overnight. I think an enquiring mind will always find a use for it.

The bit that goes in the consumer unit is very small.
Thinking further, your suggested item looks like a good idea. Is there a kit available so I can measure/monitor many circuits from inside the consumer unit? Also, what about a secondary consumer unit?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Thinking further, your suggested item looks like a good idea. Is there a kit available so I can measure/monitor many circuits from inside the consumer unit? Also, what about a secondary consumer unit?
I believe you can get extra pick up coils and plug them into the Efergy.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believe you can get extra pick up coils and plug them into the Efergy.
Thanks. I've ordered a kit off ebay to trial this. Might get messy in my consumer unit, but it's setup and forget then that's fine.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks. I've ordered a kit off ebay to trial this. Might get messy in my consumer unit, but it's setup and forget then that's fine.
Got it setup - it's a much better online software platform than the previous Energenie Mihome kit that I was using.

I just now need to find some discount coupon codes to order 4 sub-metering kits from Efergy's online shop. If anyone knows of any codes, please share!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Presumably if you know what you're doing you could even install a loop of similar gauge wire outside the consumer unit, and connect with a choc block?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Presumably if you know what you're doing you could even install a loop of similar gauge wire outside the consumer unit, and connect with a choc block?
Thanks - nice idea. I'd rather find a deal on the proper CT sensors for the Efergy and use that. It's quality controlled then incl. any calibration/testing.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Thanks - nice idea. I'd rather find a deal on the proper CT sensors for the Efergy and use that. It's quality controlled then incl. any calibration/testing.
Oh I didn't mean that in place of the sensor. Just to save keep opening the Consumer Unit, you could have some labelled loops sticking out of the top to clip your sensor(s) to.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts