Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq Electric Premium SE 2018 Black
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 7kw Chargemaster untethered unit (2018) that I took with me when I moved property in 2018, but haven't been able to install where I moved to until I had a driveway done. Now that I have, can I still use this even though it isn't a smart charger? It used to be wired straight to the consumer unit, was an easy job for a local electrician to remove.

I asked a local qualified small business for a quote, but it's £500 without VAT to install. Is that right? They haven't come to see the property and electrics. Sounds like a lot.

When I rang Chargemaster back in 2018 about cost of moving and installation of the charger they quoted £100 to £300 depending on the property. I tried contacting Chargemaster via emails, their site and nothing for a week so far. Can't find a number to speak to someone.

I'm stuck with charging off 3pin plug a while longer it seems, but worried about the hazard of continuing to.

I do have what looks like a 100amp fuse.

Sorry about the spiders and webs, it has been cleared since the photo was taken.

·
Registered
ID3 Life
188 Posts
I may be incorrect but I believe that the need of the charge point to be smart is only relevant in regards to claiming the grant which you wouldn’t be doing in this case. Without knowing specifically what’s involved in the connecting the point to the power it’s difficult to comment on the quote but if it’s fairly straightforward 500quid sounds high.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
To get an accurate quote you would need to provide details of where the chargepoint is going, and distance / route to the power supply (meter box or CU, cable clipped direct or buried, does it need to be routed through the house, etc). £500 could be very expensive or very cheap.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Ignore any electrician (or any trade at all) that quotes for work without seeing what's needed. Ironically trustatrader / checkatrade sites are murder for tradesmen throwing quotes out just to get work without even coming to your home to view the situation

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,536 Posts
Is that a looped supply? There are two incoming wires which normally mean it is.
The rating on fuse holder is normally the maximum that can be fitted, and may not be what's fitted.
You need to contact your DNO to check both, their details are on your bill along with your MPN which is your reference with them.
As above, the price depends on what is being done. Where's your meter relative to the charge point?
Currently you can get a new charge point fitted for around the same cost as your quote if it's a standard install which would buy you a guarantee and allow you to sell the Rolec which isn't the best unit in every situation. :devilish:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes most likely a looped supply as the house is a terrace house (alleyway between every other house though, so sorta semi-detached). My other concern is we don't have a gas cooker, electric oven only and that says 230V ~ 7600W 240V ~ 8300W! A washer, and a dryer in the kitchen. The consumer unit/mains box is in a hallway with the front wall of the house directly to the left less then a meter away, charger would be placed just the other side of that wall. I'll have a chat with DNO and find out more information, thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Managed to find a number to talk to someone at Chargemaster, and yes they quote £75 for a survey first, but that £75 is refunded if I accept installation which could be between £175 to £300 depending on the property. I am happy with that, so have gone through it with them. They asked for the serial number on my charger unit and my address, and they said because of the huge lack of availability of engineers, it will take about 3 weeks until installation happens.

I haven't contacted the DNO as I don't think there is anything I could do with the information they supply me, as the £75 survey has to happen regardless?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts