Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
To put an opposing view. If you do only 5,000 miles per year at 4 miles/kWh that only amounts to 1,250kWh per year, which at a saving of 2/3rds of 15p/kWh is only £125 per year, or £10/month. Most people pay that amount for convenience with other things, and may not want to invest £200 - £800 on a more expensive charger to save it.
Personally I do around 15,000 miles a year and saving the money and reducing CO2 emissions appeals to my OCD. ;)

·
Registered
267 Posts
The lack of timed charging is why so many people are buying Ohme chargers or have made Zappi add the feature.

If you're charging on full priced electricity then you're paying nearly three times the cost you could be paying.

I only spend about £250 a year on electric for my EV. All the faffing with timed charging just aint worth the effort. When I get home I always plug in and I always have the maximum range available to me at any time in case of emergency.

ABC - Always Be Charging.

·
Registered
745 Posts
ABC is nonsense when it comes to charging.. Would you leave home fully charged, drive 5 miles to work then block a public charger all day? Would you pay expensive charging tariff when you have the range to get home? Are you happy for your battery to be sat at 100% for most of its life?

Sometimes a little effort is worthwhile, making use of on-board timing really takes little effort. What is your attitude to recycling - that takes more effort.

·
Registered
267 Posts
ABC is nonsense when it comes to charging.. Would you leave home fully charged, drive 5 miles to work then block a public charger all day? Would you pay expensive charging tariff when you have the range to get home? Are you happy for your battery to be sat at 100% for most of its life?

Sometimes a little effort is worthwhile, making use of on-board timing really takes little effort. What is your attitude to recycling - that takes more effort.
I drive to work, 7 miles, I plug in. I drive home at lunch time, I plug in. I go back to work, I plug in. I get back home, I plug in. Been doing that for 5 years. If I get called to a customer from work I always have maximum range. I very rarely use Rapid Charging, only if I absolutely have to. And as I almost always start every journey with a full charge, I rarely have to.

If we go shopping and there is a 7kW puplic charger, I plug in - these are almost certainly free.

If I stay at a hotel and they have a 7kW charger, I plug in - again almost certainly free.

Clearly if you are at a public charger and you get to 100% SOC, then free up the charger.

Others have a different view, but that is the way I have always done it.

An EV is different to an ICE car. You can park your ICE car up at night near empty knowing that in an emergency you can fill it up in 5 minutes - that just is not possible in an EV.

ABC - not an issue.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
If you're charging on full priced electricity then you're paying nearly three times the cost you could be paying.
Usually the flip-side is more expensive daytime leccy.

Currently I have a wife and 3 kids at home 24/7, and the dishwasher/washing machine/dryer are in daily use.

My use of the home charger is perhaps 15-20kWh per week as I used a fair number of public chargers.

·
Registered
267 Posts
It is for the next guy who arrives actually needing a charge?
Needing a charge on my home charger or my office charger or a public 7kWh charger?

Clearly you unplug when you have enough if it's a public charger. If it's a 7kWh charger at a hotel, I see no issue plugging in overnight and leaving it connected.

Rapid Chargers are different. On a Rapid Charger use common sense and unplug at 80% SOC. If someone arrives who needs to charge, let them wait until you have enough charge for your requirments then unplug. There are not enough Rapid Chargers at any one location to start cutting your own charge short if you need it.

Just be sensible and stay safe.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I drive to work, 7 miles, I plug in. I drive home at lunch time, I plug in. I go back to work, I plug in. I get back home, I plug in. Been doing that for 5 years. If I get called to a customer from work I always have maximum range.
Wow ....... That is a lot of plugging in / out just to top up the battery after only 7 miles John !.
I can see that by doing this you always have the max range of your car just in case that you are called out, but do really need the extra 7 miles of range that you have just picked up ?.
I don’t think you really need the extra comfort that 7 miles offers.
Maybe it’s just become a habit of plugging the car in every time you stop regardless of the remaining range left on the range.
I am not criticising your system, it works for you that’s all that matters.
It just seems a little bit over kill almost every single day.
Given your battery a day off, it must be feeling very bloated by the constant feeding process by now :sick:.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I went out the first time for a fortnight today last time i had 148 miles left on ECO this morning I had 162 left on ECO without charging it, whats that all about??

·
Zoe Devotee
8,738 Posts
I went out the first time for a fortnight today last time i had 148 miles left on ECO this morning I had 162 left on ECO without charging it, whats that all about??
It was cold a fortnight ago, now its roasting.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Good all GOM !.
I have seen this on my last plugin hybrid.
On a summers day, checking the predicted mileage on the car about 7.00am in the morning when it is still chilly.
Then return to the car at about mid day when the ambient temperature has reached about 19 to 20 degrees now and guess what, the predicted mileage has increased without moving and inch and receiving no charge !.
Why - The HV pack has warmed up.
Look forward to seeing predicted increased mileage as the weather warms up !.
I think they call this strange condition “Summer Time”🤣.
EV’s like to sit their bum’s close to the warm, not unlike myself.
If this your first EV and have taken delivery in the winter months, this may feel all a little strange.
More miles showing on the GOM after a charge, then the car just “Sips” at the juice in the Summer.
You will know when the colder weather has returned, when your predicted mileage starts to drop and you appear to eat through the range faster as the ambient temperature drops again.
“Viva Los EV’s”.
They love a bit if good old vitamin “D”.
Brilliant, more range - nice weather, stuck on the drive 🤯.
Stay safe, there is always another time to go out and play.
Stay safe, stay put, and live to fight another day friends.
Today, in Wales the lock down has been extended.
Don’t know how long for, but I think England should follow suit before the Easter weekend.
There said they will review it on Monday.
To late after the long weekend has pasted.
Jump on it NOW or expect there to be a lot of crazy people going out !.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts