Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I am a member of the powertrain team for my university's Formula Electric Racing team and we are currently looking for a motor to power our rear wheel drive vehicle. I'm having some difficulty finding motors by just Google searching and was wondering if this amazing community has any suggestions or could provide me with more resources to continue my search. The current specs are as follows:

- Looking to run on a 300V custom built battery. My team is using 80-90 cells (I believe in series, and i can't remember the specific cell name) and are building and programming their own BMS, so there won't be any compatibility issues or any possibilities of nerfing the true power of the motor.
- We are most likely going to use a SEVCON controller that can handle high voltage applications, although there may be a problem with switching speed. Any suggestions for controllers are welcome as well.
- We need about 224 Nm (31700 In*Oz) of torque to our tires (13" radius on a 600lb car with a coefficient of friction of 0.85 [rubber on asphalt found in some random index]) before slippage occurs.
- We are trying to use a single speed transmission, with some sort of gear reduction (looking at around 1:4), although if there is considerable wear and tear we will have to use a two-speed transmission.
- We're also looking into possibly using aluminum wire instead of copper for winding the motor. While it is much less efficient and can't take as much heat, it dominates copper in performance per kilogram.​

The main goals we are trying to accomplish with our motor selection include:

- Reducing the amount of heat in the overall system (hence the 300V battery selection, reduces amps)
- Eliminating as much wear on the car as possible. Looking at about 8000RPM on the motor after gear reduction, so a motor that could handle that easily would be great. We want this motor to last at least 5 years in the Formula Electric cars we build.
- Obviously power-to-weight ratio is of great importance.​

Hopefully this is enough information to make an educated decision! I appreciate any and all help.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
600 lb car. Not including the battery I assume. If one could afford a KERS package from Formula 1 that would be the best power to weight ratio I assume.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
600lb would be including the battery. Carbon fiber body and lightweight chassis proves to be very light. We could probably get the body down to about 180kg if we tried. I'll check out that package, thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
600lb would be including the battery. Carbon fiber body and lightweight chassis proves to be very light. We could probably get the body down to about 180kg if we tried. I'll check out that package, thanks for the info!
According to my maths that leaves 92 kg. As I said the motor and gearbox will account for that more or less leaving nothing for the battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts