Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Ioniq 5
24,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should allow your pet monkey to drive via brain waves only:

You will need to pay for a brain implant.

I can almost hear the moaning already.

"I prefer to drive with my hands/knees - no way I'm getting in a car that's controlled by my brain!"

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Should allow your pet monkey to drive via brain waves only:

You will need to pay for a brain implant.

I can almost hear the moaning already.

"I prefer to drive with my hands/knees - no way I'm getting in a car that's controlled by my brain!"
So they've made a start on the software version they're selling to Toyota.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I do not really get the automated driving thing at all as it does not seem logical to me as something to fit to privately owned cars. I like driving so would not willingly want to hand control over to the car although I did try out the Tesla autopilot feature and it is mighty impressive and far better than I had thought it would be.

I can see that there would be a really good use for this technology for ride share vehicles especially in towns and cities where the utilisation factor of the vehicles would make it more cost effective. This would mean that such vehicles could be designed to be better suited to doing this a bit the way that London cabs are the shape they are because it fits the job they do very well. With no need for a driver they could have more room inside and be laid out as one passenger space with facing seats to make the space more versatile and flexible.

What I do not understand is why someone would want to own a self driving car only for it to spend 90% or more of its life sat parked. The big benefit seems to be from not having to own a car but being able to just electronically hail one whenever you want to go somewhere. That seems to make so much sense on so many levels that I am not really sure why Tesla seem to be focussing so much on making all of their cars self driving unless it is that they are doing this as a way of getting hold of enormous amounts of data on how self driving systems work in the real world.

The value of all that data has to be very high for a company working on machine learning so it could be that this is really why Tesla are doing it. If this is the real reason for this focus then it could be a brilliant way for Tesla to get way ahead and be in a strong position to start producing really good ride hailing transport systems.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
836 Posts
I do not really get the automated driving thing at all as it does not seem logical to me as something to fit to privately owned cars. I like driving so would not willingly want to hand control over to the car although I did try out the Tesla autopilot feature and it is mighty impressive and far better than I had thought it would be.

I can see that there would be a really good use for this technology for ride share vehicles especially in towns and cities where the utilisation factor of the vehicles would make it more cost effective. This would mean that such vehicles could be designed to be better suited to doing this a bit the way that London cabs are the shape they are because it fits the job they do very well. With no need for a driver they could have more room inside and be laid out as one passenger space with facing seats to make the space more versatile and flexible.

What I do not understand is why someone would want to own a self driving car only for it to spend 90% or more of its life sat parked. The big benefit seems to be from not having to own a car but being able to just electronically hail one whenever you want to go somewhere. That seems to make so much sense on so many levels that I am not really sure why Tesla seem to be focussing so much on making all of their cars self driving unless it is that they are doing this as a way of getting hold of enormous amounts of data on how self driving systems work in the real world.

The value of all that data has to be very high for a company working on machine learning so it could be that this is really why Tesla are doing it. If this is the real reason for this focus then it could be a brilliant way for Tesla to get way ahead and be in a strong position to start producing really good ride hailing transport systems.
I still don't fully trust the Smart cruise on my Ioniq after over a year, don't ever think I'd trust full self driving, other than as a safety aid!

·
Registered
ZE50 GT Line R135 CCS, Mar '20
237 Posts

When the tech is mature enough it would be practical to have self-drive only lanes where the speed limit would pretty much be whatever the slowest car goes at. The example I saw stated everyone travelling at 200mph(!).
The "I'll drive it myself, thank you very much" would be stuck in the slow lane at 70 (or less).

Another possibility is that we completely move away from the idea of car ownership where practicable. You'd book a car for your regular journeys and it would drive itself to you. Instead of sitting on your drive/at work for 20+ hours a day it would be in pretty much constant use.
Would need a change in routine from just jumping in the car when you feel like it, or you take the financial hit and still buy your own.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
836 Posts
When the tech is mature enough it would be practical to have self-drive only lanes where the speed limit would pretty much be whatever the slowest car goes at. The example I saw stated everyone travelling at 200mph(!).
The "I'll drive it myself, thank you very much" would be stuck in the slow lane at 70 (or less).

Another possibility is that we completely move away from the idea of car ownership where practicable. You'd book a car for your regular journeys and it would drive itself to you. Instead of sitting on your drive/at work for 20+ hours a day it would be in pretty much constant use.
Would need a change in routine from just jumping in the car when you feel like it, or you take the financial hit and still buy your own.
The trouble with the self driving taxi model is there will never be enough about for peak times, Eg bank holidays, school holidays etc so price and availability will surely fluctuate. Might work for short journeys, but long journeys (ie like a 4 hour drive somewhere) will be expensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts