Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

We are a family of 4, including two boys under 10 yrs old, and currently have a Mazda 3 that suits us quite well in terms of our size requirements.

We can't afford to buy a new BEV, but keen to switch a BEV and buy a decent used one (probably up to £15k). We have a garage so lucky enough to be able to charge at home. We're South London based and most of our journeys are fairly short, though we do go for days out that take us on 100+ mile trip and we travel within the country to visit family and friends and go on holiday.

We're not quite sure where to start in terms of getting information and advice regrading make and model. We've tended to have Japanese cars, so Nissan is appealing, but not sure if they will be big enough for our needs.

Any pointers to suitable sites, where else we can get info and advice, as well as opinions on makes and models would be great.

Thanks

Ian

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,200 Posts
Hi everyone

We are a family of 4, including two boys under 10 yrs old, and currently have a Mazda 3 that suits us quite well in terms of our size requirements.

We can't afford to buy a new BEV, but keen to switch a BEV and buy a decent used one (probably up to £15k). We have a garage so lucky enough to be able to charge at home. We're South London based and most of our journeys are fairly short, though we do go for days out that take us on 100+ mile trip and we travel within the country to visit family and friends and go on holiday.

We're not quite sure where to start in terms of getting information and advice regrading make and model. We've tended to have Japanese cars, so Nissan is appealing, but not sure if they will be big enough for our needs.

Any pointers to suitable sites, where else we can get info and advice, as well as opinions on makes and models would be great.

Thanks

Ian
As a Leaf fan, please read this recent thread as it contains much relevant info:

There are quite a few 40kw Mk2 Leafs around your budget on autotrader such as:

The Acenta is the lower spec, Connecta the mid range and Tekna the top of the range.

Leafs are very reliable and don't have the software and other foibles of the other makes.
They are a bit bigger than a Mazda 3, and of course, very quiet, comfortable and nippy. Range is about 120-150miles in the summer and 100 in the worst of the winter weather (wet, head wind, cold and heater on full)

Range is affected most by speed and also by the weather, terrain, and temperature.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
As a Leaf fan, please read this recent thread as it contains much relevant info:

There are quite a few 40kw Mk2 Leafs around your budget on autotrader such as:

The Acenta is the lower spec, Connecta the mid range and Tekna the top of the range.

Leafs are very reliable and don't have the software and other foibles of the other makes.
They are a bit bigger than a Mazda 3, and of course, very quiet, comfortable and nippy. Range is about 120-150miles in the summer and 100 in the worst of the winter weather (wet, head wind, cold and heater on full)

Range is affected most by speed and also by the weather, terrain, and temperature.
As per above replies, it would be hard to get a better car for your use/ budget than the Leaf. It has Chademo charging which in the round is a much more reliable charging standard than the CCS alternative.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Or, for your described motoring patterns, consider a Volt / Ampera

Reactions: TJEV

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
My god, a Leaf 40 Tekna is £15k?! Those were 35k+ new weren’t they? Bargain right now.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Or, for your described motoring patterns, consider a Volt / Ampera
Kind of see where you are coming from but Ampera:
  • Is a plug-in hybrid not a BEV, albeit one with an unusually high electric-only range.
  • Only seats 4 (kind of bolster thing in the middle of back seat). OK when it's just the family but can't give a friend a lift at the same time.
  • Is no longer made & a bit esoteric, so support may be an issue.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Volt / Ampera is a range extended electric vehicle or serial hybrid that runs at all speeds / power needs on full electric and the engine only kicks in as a generator when the battery is drained. 40 - 50+ mile range. It is a very good introduction to electric motoring if usage requirements are compatible with its abilities. It has limitations as above but that is reflected in the prices. It is a very well put together and reliable car and if you live within 100 miles of Bellingers in Wantage, support is ok.

Reactions: TJEV

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,046 Posts
As you drive a Mazda 3 you might also like the style and road stance of the Hyundai Ioniq which offers virtually identical accommodation. A second hand classic Ioniq 28 is well within your budget and is acknowledged as being the most economical EV around. See this recent test of a '19 year Ioniq against a new Tesla model 3.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Ioniq 28kWh model, does up to 130 miles in summer, 110 miles winter at 65mph, recharges fast, will go above 60kW on 100kW charger, CCS now common, does multiple charges effortlessly (330 mile regular trip with 3x 20-40 minute charges), good space, great car from South Korea. 5 year warranty. No degradation of range in 3 years / 33,000 miles.

·
Registered
510 Posts
currently have a Mazda 3 that suits us quite well in terms of our size requirements.
Just a suggestion to consider but has the Mazda 3 broken down, or does it need expensive repairs? If it's still running fine then I'd be considering keeping it for another year or two and buy a used EV in late 2022 or 2023.

The logic for this if you are buying used at around £15k, then you are buying the EVs which were being sold new 3+ years ago and there's a problem, they weren't selling many EVs back in 2018 and most of the long range models hadn't hit the market yet. So you're buying from a used market with a limited supply of a small range of EVs with smaller battery capacities. EV sales really started taking off in 2019, there was a flurry of new models with bigger batteries and sales started rising sharply, which has accelerated further in 2020 due to the company car tax benefits. Most new car sales are as company vehicles or on leases or finance deals and typically get returned and go into the used market at around 3 years, so will start hitting the market in volume from late 2022 onwards. Interesting site on car registrations: https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/

I was a forced buyer earlier this year due to my car reaching end of life, used EVs I found in that price range were rather limited:
Nissan Leaf 40kWh
Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh (unfortunately used 38kWh models are still quite a bit more expensive)
Kia Soul 30kWh

There was more choice of used Plug-in Hybrids (PHEVs), some of those to consider:
BMW 330e - there's loads of these around, probably popular as company cars but the EV range is limited and the efficiency of the engine isn't great.
Hyundai Ioniq PHEV
Kia Optima - there's video review on Fully Charged with Robert Llewellyn, but not many for sale.
Kia Niro - not many down at the £15k mark yet, but a few popping up.
Toyota Prius Plug-in (aka Prius Prime)
VW Golf PHEV
VW Passat PHEV

·
Registered
590 Posts
Og 28kWh Hyundai Ioniq - super efficient, charges fast, decent range from a small battery (so very cheap to run), comfortable, good warranty, looks pants but not as bad as a Leaf (IMO), well priced and within your budget.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think the Ioniq 28 is a reasonable choice too -- it would be my second pick. The range seems a bit less than a Leaf 40 although not as much as the battery size difference would suggest. In terms of practicality, the boot is also smaller and I don't think Hyundai officially support any roof loading.

With respect to looks, the original Leaf was definitely a marmite car. Some people still criticize the new Leaf (40/62) but I just don't get it: to me it is one of the smartest looking EVs in its price range. The Ioniq is OK -- at least it is not an ugly SUV -- but rather spoilt by the filled-in front grille in my view. That's all in the eye of the beholder anyway.

Kind regards
- Garry

·
Registered
93 Posts
The other thing that I would check carefully with an Ioniq, with its sloping roofline, is back seat headroom. The OP's kids are under 10 years old at the moment, so it won't be an issue now or for a few years yet. But one thing I have noticed about small children is that they grow surprisingly quickly!

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
The other thing that I would check carefully with an Ioniq, with its sloping roofline, is back seat headroom. The OP's kids are under 10 years old at the moment, so it won't be an issue now or for a few years yet. But one thing I have noticed about small children is that they grow surprisingly quickly!
In the round, the Leaf 40 versus Ioniq 28 surely wins in terms of sheer availability, service support.

Possibly if doing weekly long journeys with more than 3 rapid chargers back to back the Ioniq would be better ( battery cooling) but for these use cases, a Kona would surely be a better bet.

·
Registered
93 Posts
In the round, the Leaf 40 versus Ioniq 28 surely wins in terms of sheer availability, service support.

Possibly if doing weekly long journeys with more than 3 rapid chargers back to back the Ioniq would be better ( battery cooling) but for these use cases, a Kona would surely be a better bet.
If you know of a Kona for £15k that hasn't been written off, don't tell the OP, tell me!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts