Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone looking to get my first EV - was looking at MG ZS Exclusive.

My only concern is charging I live in terraced with parking on the opposite side, so charging i would have to park on the payment and run the lead out. Is this Common occurrence ?

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,659 Posts
EDITED POST - Just looked again at your post. No, unfortunately you wouldn't legally be able to park on the pavement as you describe. Your only option would be to check out Zap Map and see what public charging options are nearby, as it sounds like home charging won't be possible for you.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,645 Posts
+1 for checking out Zap-Map, and see Plugshare too.
See what's around --- remember for a car like yours, 30mins at a rapid on a CCS socket will top you up nicely. You'd use the cable that is attached to the charger, so no need to phaff getting a cable out of the car, putting it away soaking wet etc etc

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Yeah, I've seen quite a few of these high vis cable covers across public pavements to 'make safe' charging cables. Hell, I've even seen the council do this regularly along with granny chargers hanging out windows, lol.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
My only concern is charging I live in terraced with parking on the opposite side, so charging i would have to park on the payment and run the lead out. Is this Common occurrence ?
I think most of the posters above have misunderstood. You seem to be saying that the official parking is on the other side of the road, so you'd be parking on the pavement on your side of the road.
Parking on the pavement is illegal in London and there is talk of including the rest of the country.
Even without that it would only need a complaint to the council to get you in trouble and banned, so I wouldn't count on it.

(I also have to admit that I hate people who park on/part on the pavement. In most cases it doesn't help the traffic but obstructs pedestrians. Stay on the bit provided for you. :mad:)

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq 38 2016 Leaf 30 gone
156 Posts
I have owned a Leaf 30 for over 4 years now and an Ioniq 38 for just over a month. I have no off-street parking and have easily survived using public chargers, mostly destination chargers in car parks as well as rapids. As mentioned above 25 to 30 minutes on a rapid adds up to 60 miles of range to most ev’s. Enjoy your new transport when it arrives.

BTW, not worth the hassle and complaints trailing cables across pavements imho.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,713 Posts
Your wording gives me the impression of a narrow road where a decision has been taken centrally to only permit parking on one side and avoid the usual zigzag route through the congestion caused by cars on both sides. As such you would obviously draw attention to yourself if you parked partly or entirely on the pavement on the other side. Combined with a cable causing a potential trip hazard across that pavement you could find yourself answering awkward questions.

It is perfectly possible to run an EV entirely using public chargers and many people in your position have done that for years. It does tend to make it more expensive in fuel than having a home charger and also can be quite inconvenient. Personally, I would not have an EV in your circumstances but respect the way that people overcome the obvious difficulties and enjoy the enhanced driving experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I live in a road that leads to a cul-de-sac, every evening there is approximately 10 cars parked pavement side 9/10 i have to park on the pavement when i get home anyway as there is just nowhere else.

I have looked at zap-map there is 2 points in my town at the local aldi, others i would have to drive to next town over approximately 20mile round trip

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,527 Posts
View attachment 144226

I live in a road that leads to a cul-de-sac, every evening there is approximately 10 cars parked pavement side 9/10 i have to park on the pavement when i get home anyway as there is just nowhere else.

I have looked at zap-map there is 2 points in my town at the local aldi, others i would have to drive to next town over approximately 20mile round trip
I notice one of your neighbours appears to have off street parking. Any chance of you doing the same thing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I notice one of your neighbours appears to have off street parking. Any chance of you doing the same thing?
We have been looking into it, but the gardens are 2-3feet lower then the pavement side so would have to be raised + cheapest quote for the dropped kerb has been £3k

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,678 Posts
We have been looking into it, but the gardens are 2-3feet lower then the pavement side so would have to be raised + cheapest quote for the dropped kerb has been £3k
Might increase the value of your house to have the off street parking. You wouldn't see that money until you moved of course.

·
Registered
312 Posts
£3k sounds ridicolous. Have you asked Council for a quote, as my family have had quite a few dropped pavements done over years, and max paid was about £300 then -> The trick is you need to do all the pavements (on your land) up to your property border, such that they are "only" quoting for the edge of pavement works/access across the pavement to your property. That reduces the costs a lot, then ask a gardener for ground levelling/etc seperately, again, given we've had full decks installed (including ground levelling) of an area several car sized (with considerable 1m drop) for sub £1.5k (ie, we've had a entire garden levelled that looks to be 3x the size for less), I think you may be asking one person to do the lot, when what you probably really desire is someone to first sort your garden to be level/parkable, then the council to do the drop curve after. Just levelling the land and putting hardcore in, some gardeners may WANT to do cheap given disposal of hardcore (ie, what you need under your car) is a considerable cost to them usually...

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,713 Posts
Apparently the average cost to drop a kerb is £1000.

Average Cost of Dropping a Kerb (myjobquote.co.uk)

But that would be just the pavement side using Council approved contractors. Filling the front with hardcore to bring it up to level would be extra. Unless that side of the project was DIY in which case it would be a much cheaper option. Loads of builders are always looking for places to dump waste hardcore rather than pay the council to dispose of it. And a top dressing of crushed slate or golden gravel can make an attractive drive.

I would be looking at that as it would then make you eligible for the grant-aided home charger.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Filling the front with hardcore to bring it up to level would be extra.
Looking at the photo it may need some sort of retaining wall or piling to keep it from settling into the house or the neighbours' gardens.
Might affect access to some services as well.
I'm sure it's doable but it could be quite expensive if the stars and planets are all over place.

·
Banned
367 Posts
I discussed this with my council and I think that the best solution is that cities install public charging poles for private use and connect them to your home grid.
You participate in the install costs and the charger remains city property, but it’s your electricity and only you and neighbors you approve can use the spot and charger.

This is the only way to hike up EV adoption in the cities IMO. The EV owner does his part, cities have to their part.

Operator-owned public charging will not work bar for rare exceptions because the middle man needs to make money and people won’t buy an EV unless they know that they can charge it reliably at lower cost than ICE.

In this case, may I suggest that you build two walls up to street level and just let the car roll onto the walls? Cheap and easy solution. You may need a permit.

·
Registered
318 Posts
OP: if you are thinking of dipping your toe in the EV world, relying on public charging will take enjoyment away from the ownership experience. If you must have an EV, move house. If not, stick with ICE or hybrid.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have a terraced house too and bit the cost bullet by having a block paving drive put in. Fortunately I didn't have the cost of a drop kerb as the council agreed with my argument (and there were precedents) that the kerbs in our road are so low anyway that there would be no point and technically not achievable.

There are cheaper solutions than block paving of course, as mentioned above, but your own parking would help both the charging and the parking issue. I definitely took the paving cost out of the house maintenance budget and not the car budget as the overall cost was so high for me and to assuage my guilt!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts