Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a used Leaf for my daily commute, i reach out to you owners to try and establish if it will work for me.

My daily communte is 43miles to work, i can charge at work via 13A 3-pin plug
I will then return home 43miles and charge at home overnight.
My journey consists of driving through 2 small towns and rarely get above 60mph for the entire journey.

I am looking to buy the 2nd Gen 2013 Tekna 24Kwh, which i believe has a upgraded heat pump. The car battery also looks very good health with 12 bars still showing.
My questions is:
1. In winter will i have enough range to do the 43miles?
2. In winter on this journey approx what range would i get?
3. during an 8.5hr day in office, charging via granny cable, what mileage will i be able to put back into this car? enought to get home 43miles?

Really appreciate your comments

Best regards
Alex

·
Registered
630 Posts
For a 43 miles journey (I assume it will be a 86 return) you will be just in the limit of range for a 24kw.
Slow charge will be your bonus as this will not heat up the battery while charging.
That test is very basic and doesn't tell you how good the batery really is.
For that you would need to get Leaf Spy pro (£12) and a bluetooth/wi-fi OBD2 connector, that will allow you to have a complete information about the battery.

Personally, I would try to go a step up and go for the 30kw, you will have a few more precious miles.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You will get 2kW charge rate with the granny charger so would get 17kWh after 8.5 hours of charging at work.
You are likely to use much less energy than this on your 43 mile journey to work so would be leaving work with a fully charged battery.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Yes, 43 miles is do-able in 24 kWh Leaf in any weather.

The winter range to expect for 24 kWh would be 55-65. I'd confidently drive it for 50 miles before having to worry about charging. I'd work on the basis driving 50 miles from full will be between low battery warning (4 kWh left) and very low battery warning (2 kWh left).

Let's say 3 mi/kWh for your commute. For information, my commute is 28 miles, mostly motorway (worse economy), worst case I had over my whole ownership was 2.9 mi/kWh (according to the car telemetric). You should use no more than 15 kWh. Charging at 2 kW for 8 hours will be able to give you 16 kWh. So you can leave work with full charge.

As long as you can guarantee get a charge at work. Or there is a rapid charging station on your way home, close to work. A cheap 24 kWh Leaf will suit you really well. As mentioned, get Leafspy to check battery health percentage when viewing the car.

If you can stretch to 30 kWh Leaf. You can do the 86 miles return journey without charging during summer, may be during winter.

·
Registered
630 Posts
NOTE: The reason I mentioned the 30kw as possible better option is that you will be reducing the number of daily battery cycles you will be adding to the battery.
I haven't see anywhere that EV batteries are different from normal Li-On sisters and are not subject to a life cycle performance.
But this is just my opinion and not scientifically supported.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 2011 24kwh, I do a 25mile each way but could easily do 43 in any weather. my heater isn't as efficient in winter but still adequate.

My friend has a 30kwh which he had on lease but later bought out of the lease because the 62kwh he wanted wasn't available at that time. He told me the other day that he did 138 miles before needing a charge recently on a journey which was almost double that. (he uses leafspy pro rather than the gom to gauge range and is a careful ev driver). That said being able to do 138miles in one go opens a lot more long range journeys which can be done in a more reasonable amount of time. Worth considering if you don't have a second vehicle for those occasional long trips.

The other thing about the post 2011 variants of the leaf is a different motor and gearing which is apparently better for the higher motorway speeds so probably more economic than mine. The latest leaf 62kwh can do 7mile per kwh which is much better than mine if that it true.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
For my 13reg Sunderland built 24kWh Leaf, which lost one battery bar almost two years ago, I would be happy to tackle a 50 mile journey in winter providing I could be sure of getting a charge at my destination.

Is there any difference in height above sea level between home and work, as going uphill 'borrows' about 3% of the battery capacity for each 100 metres of climb, but (unless you have to use the friction brakes on a very steep downhill stretch) you get most of this back on any subsequent equal descent.

Charging from a 13A socket using the Nissan 'Granny Lead' will charge about 10-11% of the battery capacity per hour, so your 8.5 hours at work should give you 85-90% of charge. As you will hopefully be arriving at work with 10-15% of battery capacity remaining, you should be able to leave work each day with a fully charged battery.

Make a note of any charging points between home and work (especially the Rapid charging points) [take a look at Zap-Map] in case there are any problems charging at home or at work, and as an insurance policy get the appropriate mobile phone apps / rfid cards / bank debit cards to be able to work these points. Try out these charging points when you are not in a rush so that you are experienced in how to use them should an urgent need arise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
Hilltop Dave
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing