Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking on the site for a while, so it's high time I said hello. Looking to join the EV club soon; was originally thinking 30kW Leaf, but now favouring a Soul.

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
560 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, I drive a Zoe so couldn't comment on a Leaf or Soul but I'm sure others will be able to share their experiences.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT Line R135 Rapid Charge
4 Posts
Hi,
I only joined the EV club a few weeks ago with the Zoe, best thing I ever did as I love the car and the different driving style. The silence while driving for me is fantastic. I don’t know much about other vehicles as I’ve never driven anything other than my Zoe so can’t offer any advice with regards to those but just wanted to say hi 😊

·
Registered
318 Posts
I was recently torn between Zoe, Leaf and Soul for my first EV. In the end, I went for a 30kWh Soul. I didn't need the Zoe range and the Leaf? Well, it's a huge seller in the UK but I felt it had nothing I wanted that wasn't in a Soul. Also, there seem to be no regular complaints about the Soul's build quality, headlights, reliability and battery degradation issues. After driving it for 6 weeks, I'm very happy with my choice.
What don't I like about the old Soul? Limited choice of colours, and it looks fugly.
Once you've found the type of car that suits your needs, it's all personal taste at the end of the day.

·
Registered
Kia E-Niro 2021
38 Posts
Can’t comment on the Soul in particular, but I’m a 2nd time Kia owner and they are brilliant cars. First was a petrol Ceed that we had for 8 years without a complaint. Now an e-Niro which we are very new to, but love even more.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've been lurking on the site for a while, so it's high time I said hello. Looking to join the EV club soon; was originally thinking 30kW Leaf, but now favouring a Soul.
Took delivery of a new Soul 10 days ago. Ordered it on the day Kia dropped the price by 2K to qualify for PICG so a saving of £4.5K without trying. Very happy with the car. Modest footprint but plenty of room for 4 large adults in comfort and easy access to rear seats for child seats if required. Drives well, decent performance and range. Definately worth a look.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Welcome, I'm a newbie too, had my kia e-niro for 6 days and loving it. The Soul is a marmite car when it comes to looks, but has a good spec. I drove the higher spec leaf, but the seats in the kia were better which was important to me. I was also nervous of ChadeMo, although not everyone is of the same opinion. Good luck whichever you choose.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Soul EV
68 Posts
For months during lockdown I followed the Leaf forums and despite the apparent battery problems I was prepared to go ahead. However I found the following review of the Soul."Buyer's guide for the 2014-2019 electric Kia Soul EV". This changed my mind. I also took notice of his conversation with Jonathan Porterfield and decided to go down that route.
Jonathan, who is extremely helpful, purchased my car from BCA in Birmingham at a price much lower than I could find on a forecourt.
I am very happy with my 30kWh Soul.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
A chap in our village bought a Soul a couple of years ago, and is very pleased with it indeed. He raves about it's practicality, as well as the build quality. I guess the styling perhaps needs some getting used to, but then the same could be said for several other EVs (my old Tesla Model 3 was a pretty odd looking car from some angles). My wife bought a Renault Zoe a couple of months ago and she's very pleased with it (it's her first EV). I'm also very impressed with the Zoe, the build quality and the ride are outstandingly good for a relatively small car (and, to put that into perspective, my last EV was a Tesla Model 3 LR and my current EV is a Jaguar I-Pace HSE).

One thing is for sure and that is that the newer crop of EVs are really very good cars compared with some of the very early models. The Leaf was pretty groundbreaking when it came out, but now has some very stiff competition from the relative newcomers. Having looked at a fair few smaller EVs earlier this year (when my wife was deciding what to buy) then I think it's very hard to beat the quality and value for money of either the Soul or the Zoe, given the deals that are around. If I'd been making the decision instead of my wife I'd probably have opted for the Soul, really for practical reasons. My wife just fell in love with the styling of the Zoe, though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Welcome, I'm a newbie too, had my kia e-niro for 6 days and loving it. The Soul is a marmite car when it comes to looks, but has a good spec. I drove the higher spec leaf, but the seats in the kia were better which was important to me. I was also nervous of ChadeMo, although not everyone is of the same opinion. Good luck whichever you choose.
I would say the latest Soul styling has become a bit more conventional and not so different to a lot of other boxy looking cars, still distinctive but now more marmalade than marmite. The Niro styling is the opposite and has been described as rather dull. Personally I would have been happy with either as the specs were similar and a few weeks ago the main deciding point for most would be whether you needed to extra boot space of the Niro or preferred the compact size of the Soul. For me that all changed when Kia dropped the price of the Soul to qualify for PICG. The £7K difference in price for a car of similar performance and spec sealed the decision.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts