Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sigh - not exactly confidence inspiring

"Thus, every day, those involved with the ID.3 project meet and try to solve the car’s underlying issues.

Manager Magazin‘s sources note that Volkswagen is now operating at an almost military level in its efforts to fix the ID.3’s software issues, but still, hundreds of test drivers report new faults in the vehicle nearly every day.

One of the magazine’s sources, who claimed to be present in these meetings, noted that up to 300 faults could be reported in one day. "

Source

·
Premium Member
3,956 Posts
But, electric cars are easy, legacy ice makers could build them standing on their heads etc etc. *

* I thought I’d say it before anybody else chimes in! :ROFLMAO:

It’s a very public pregnancy, that’s for sure, and the birth might be ugly as well.

I’m sure they’ll fix it all, what choice do they have?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,980 Posts
Oh dear. They ought to give one to me. If there's some weird impossible quirk I'll find it :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the past I've heard advice suggesting not buying a car in the first year after its launch, to give them time to iron out the initial bugs. It sounds like with EVs in general, given software plays such a big role, it might be sensible advice.

I know from my own experiences renting and driving Teslas (all models) that I felt like the software was buggy in daily use, from minor issues such as reversing camera showing a black screen to more serious issues such as the car's display shutting off at 70mph whilst on Autopilot.

·
Registered
415 Posts
What part of the problem is related to the actual working of the vehicle vs the 'extra' functionality?

Obviously nobody knows the answer to that, but it would be interesting to see if they are trying to do too much, too soon and over complicating the matter. I assume (maybe wrongly) that the O/S designed for the MEB platform will be easily moved from one vehicle to the next with functions/modules that are added or taken away as needed.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Well my Zoe has plenty of bugs but they are all in the infotainment part. E.g. Sat Nav crashing, music stuck, music won’t play, radio stuck, live traffic not working. I can live with these bugs as the car still drives fine and they always clear eventually. But if it didn’t and it affected driving the car then that would be more of a problem. I wonder how many VW bugs are hardware related rather than infotainment?

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I’m sure they’ll fix it all, what choice do they have?
Remind me, exactly how many of the #Dieselgate issues did VAG fix in the UK? (I'll not bring in the current ongoing issues for MB as this thread is not about them)

·
Premium Member
3,956 Posts
Remind me, exactly how many of the #Dieselgate issues did VAG fix in the UK? (I'll not bring in the current ongoing issues for MB as this thread is not about them)
No idea, but I’m sure you’re about to share your view?! ;)

The point was, EVs are VWs future apparently, so not sorting out whatever the issues are would be rather catastrophic.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
The point about VW failing to resolve the #Dieselgate issues in the UK is that they were willing to risk their reputation with what was their primary market for short term expediency. Whether they have learnt their lesson we will see - I suspect that like Rolls-Royce in 1970 the marketing men have the whip hand over the engineers and will stick to arbitrary timetables and release a lower standard product. Some say that Tesla is pushing Germany into recession - VW may make it a real crisis.

Reactions: ringi

·
Registered
1,195 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Some say that Tesla is pushing Germany into recession - VW may make it a real crisis.
"Manufacturer with 0.5% share of global car market pushing world's 4th largest economy into recession."

Yeah, right.

Sorry, off topic, but who makes this stuff up? (Not aimed at you, I appreciate you are only reporting it!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts